eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

EBay discouraging accurate descriptions. Seller Notes disappear.

You may recall how a few months ago eBay made a big fuss about having an accurate description of the condition of each item you list. In fact they inserted a special field for this, which still shows up as "Seller Notes" in most listings. I had already had such descriptions in the main body of each of my listings, but dutifully, I copied them all into that new field.

Now they've taken an opposite approach. If you relist something, the Seller Notes disappear. This means you either have to remember what you said or get out the item again, look at it, and redo the description.

But I have discovered a work-around. OPEN each expired listing that you propose to relist. COPY the Seller Notes into a buffer. When you go to relist, the Seller Notes field will, of course, be gone. But now you can drop what you copied into the main part of your description. Unfortunately this seems to preclude mass relisting. You have to do them one at a time.

In the future I will put that description in the main part for any listing I put up. If the Seller Notes field is ever restored, I will copy the description there, but leave it in the main body, because I don't trust it not to disappear again.

Looks like a typical eBay glitch. It could go on like that for years. Old-time eBayers may recall that it took them three or four years to eliminate the "sell similar" glitch.

Please use plain text.
duchess-at-speakeasy
Community Member

Re: EBay discouraging accurate descriptions. Seller Notes disappear.

in reply to darrellschweitzer_pa

The condition information is supposed to be in the body of the description in the first place.  Adding "seller notes" was simply a means of repeating that information near the top, making it more visible.  Some sellers found it annoying and claimed that highlighting damage and defects chased away potential buyers even if flaws were very minor.

But you're right -- that section may be on the SYI form but it disappears in the finished listing for some categories.

Similarly, the item location is required to be in the listing -- it's on the SYI form, too.  But the city and state disappear when the seller specifies fixed-rate shipping.  Only the country remains.

Bottom line:  Include ALL details within the item description and photos.  Control your content; don't rely on eBay to protect your interests.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess

To eBay, I think we hover somewhere between loathed, tolerated, and ignored.
Please use plain text.
impalajohnny
Community Member

Make sure the info is in your description. I often miss the seller notes. Years of habit ignoring them because it was just useless generic info. I guess ebay realizes this and it's why they highlight them in pink but I still wouldn't rely on buyers reading it.

Like duchess says use the seller notes as a redundancy.

Please use plain text.
impalajohnny
Community Member

I should have said years of habit ignoring the item specifics and product details area because it was all generic info.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Apparently eBay has decided to eliminate Seller Notes altogether. This is more wasted time because it means all my repeating listings will have to be gradually redone, to copy those notes back into the body of the description where I USED TO PUT THEM until eBay specifically instructed us to do otherwise.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I am wrong on the above. They seem to have restored the feature. Gosh, do you suppose someone actually reads this boards, or is it a coincidence?

Please use plain text.
lookng2015
Community Member

No, it just means they (yet again) managed to break one thing while "fixing" something else.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley

"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley

Please use plain text.