eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

does anyone know how to do scrapbook flip pages?

I just went to Croptober fest and saw a woman do pages that you could flip open and such... anyone know the trick?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to senoritarubia
The way I do it is mat a photo with card stock (color is on both sides, rather than white/bar code on the back) and cut the mat a good 1/2 inch larger than the photo so I have a good margin to use. Then I lay it on the page where it's going to go. I use hinges (or folded paper), and I attach the pair of hinges using a permanent glue or scrap tape. I lay one side of the hinge on the margin of the matted photo, and the other is touching the backgroung page. The actual bendy party of the hinge is just off the matted photo, so it opens like a bound book. Then I flip it open and write or put stickers or another photo under there. You can take a look at a kid's book that has those little doors in them for inspiration, if you want to do a whole 12x12 on top of another 12x12 in that fashion, with cut outs and things underneath (like that show, Laugh In?). A magazine might be able to describe it better, but give it a shot, it's a really neat addition!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

There are many ways to do a book on a layout. I hope this is what your asking.
You can do it like adiron said up above. Or you can make a book by folding card stock and gluing one end down. You can cut out a window and mat that piece you cut out on a bigger piece of paper. You can also make shadow box layouts with vellum.
I best looking to me is using a 12x12 background sheet. Then I cut down another 12x12 sheet to fit over top of the background sheet cutting 1/4inch around all sides. Then I use a craft knife and cut 3 sides of the window. Make sure you have everything centered and don't glue until your really sure where everything is going to go. I then open and fold the paper so that it opens with ease. I sometimes add eyelets with ribbon so lookers know that it is meant to be opened.
hope this helps
smilegigglelol
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I'm going to post one of my flip pages. I don't think I can explain how I did it though. It was my first and it didn't really turn out like I wanted. I will post with it closed and then open. I will try, anyway. This has 6 pictures inside.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Please use plain text.
Community Member

wow sapphire101 that is an awesome page. What did you use to make your pine cones on your flip page? Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Boy, that was quick.LOL I bought them but don't remember where. I think that is one of my favorite pages but just because that's my brother and we don't get to see each other often. Oh, I'm getting ready to post my first page but I don't know yet about which to post to show I've improved. LOL

Sapphire101
Please use plain text.
Community Member

That was a great layout. honestly I don't see to many scrappers with such talent.

smilegigglelol
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thanks alot smilegigglelol. I appreciate that. I had fun making it because I didn't know what I was doing and had to figure it out as I went. I hope the next flip page will be easier and turn out better. I meant for this to be an accordian style flip out but it didn't turn out that way.LOL Maybe the next one.....

Sapphire101
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Accordions are fun. But little mini albums are great too. I always say there is no mistakes in what you do when being creative. Sometimes your best work is a mistake. That's why I love scrapping. No one knows if you didn't really plan out your layout like it turned out. Unless you tell them;-)

smilegigglelol
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thanks to all of you who responded! I am going to try one of those pages over the holidays when I have some time off. One more question to anyone who might know the answer... how do you protect the flip part if you use page protectors? This lady that I saw had smaller size plastic protectors but I don't know if she cut them from bigger ones or what. Thank you again to all of you who responded and that was an awesome page with the pinecones! I'll have to look at all the talent on this forum more often for inspiration!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hi Senoritarubia,

Thanks for the compliment on the page. I'm not sure about how to protect them but I think some just cut out a hole in the page protector where the flip page is. That's what I will do, just take a craft knife and cut a hole exactly where it is on the page. So I guess it really won't be protected. Hopefully someone else will come along with a better suggestion.

Sapphire101
Please use plain text.
Community Member

That is pretty much what you do. It only protects the front. not the insides of the flip.

I have used old 4x6 mini albums you know the kind that have that what stuff in them. To put many photos on one page. Only thing I found was that you can't matte them unless you cut your photos a 1/4 inch around. but it protected all of the photos I put into the layout. No finger prints. I still had to cut with a craft knife for the book to open up.

smilegigglelol
Please use plain text.