eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

The most unexplored areas of the contiguous US?

If someone wanted to really get away from it all and find the most remote, uninhabited, unowned stretches of land in the contiguous US to live, what would be the best areas to go? And let's assume a person could set up any habitat to make an area livable. Are there still parts of the US that haven't been extensively explored? My first guess would be the Pacific Northwest, but specifically where?

Any ideas?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ronta
I would guess MOST of Nevada...since the US Gov't owns about 95+% of it...

Alaska is the same way :smileyhappy: but NOT in the conterminous US States <>

Hiway

The FEEDBACK GURU...
<>
Hiway

I am PROOF :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ronta
I vaguely remember reading an article about something (maybe some ancient Indian artifiacts) that were found in a National Park out west. I think it was in California and the park was a big one with many tourists. But the "artifacts" were in an area where nobody had explored before.

We still have some rather reomote mountainous and desert areas that rarely have people going to them. Many of those are in National Parks and do not allow people to settle there. Due to the remoteness, most people would not want to anyway. Some of those areas don't even have water.

I suspect most of those areas are in the west. But there is still virgin forest in the Adirondaks (sp?), Catskeills and other areas in the east. Many folks don't realize that New York State still has some extensive wild areas. You can thank Teddy Roosevelt for that. Some of the mountains here in North Carolina would qualify, too.

And there are some islands off the coast that are not inhabited but could be.
Please use plain text.
cornercube
Community Member

in reply to ronta
While looking for Steve Fosset in Nevada, searchers found several previously unknown plane crash sites, clearing up disappearances that were decades old.

Humans need water. Locations without it require high economic incentives for any human settlement.

“permenant tagline”:
“What's your point?...Are you trying to say...Are you trying to say...Are you suggesting...You are apparently in possession of knowlege...Please do tell us the real truth...We all love how you know the real truth...Please quote your sources...ain't nothing ...compared to your knowlege...would love to have the definitive version...We would all love to know...a gray area... which you, personally have pinned down...Please do give us your definitive version of history.”

Google and Wikipedia are not substitutes for education or intelligence.
— cornercube, 2009

Please use plain text.
renomarvinm
Community Member

in reply to ronta
Last summer, we flew from Chicago to Las Vegas, and the view over what you'd call the "Canyonlands" area was impressive. It was mile after mile of erroded canyons, gullies, side channels, unexplored places, etc., all part of the Colorado River system. I'm quite sure that there are places in there that are rarely, if ever, visited.
Everything below this line is a signature:
Flavius Flatulance Maximus Factus - Speaker for All Rome!

-

Intrepidus, Jr. (Bob in Reno)
Everything above this line is sponsored by Captain Zort!
I'm Captain Zort, and I don't know what he's talking about!!!!

-

(Bob in Eugene, WHERE IT RAINS A LOT!!!! Glug, Glug, Drip, Drip)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ronta
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........OK Ronta, who are you wanting to hide from?

Ex wife?

IRS?

???????????????????????????????????????
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ronta
:^O
I agree Bob. There are some pretty remote areas all around there. And one better know how to survive when the temp gets over 115, or more. There are still places one can be isolated, if that is what you are looking for.

< >
Please use plain text.
renomarvinm
Community Member

in reply to ronta
Hi Shaman (That forest-scene fire painting was out of this world, by the way!!!)

Yes, but the really, really, really most hidden, unaccessable, and dangerous, unknown, creepy, spookey and just plain dangerous place in the USA is:

The hidden parts of the sewer system of New York City (pause to shake with fear and terror)

:^O

-

-

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ronta
Check out a road map of Maine. Roads go in but they don't come out.

No wonder Stephen King lives there and writes about Maine.

Things tend to stick out in a desert, but in Maine there are treestreestreestreestreestrees and no spaces between them.

Leave the trees in place and you could hide an entire army on foot.

Oh, and NOW I know where some of the PGP people really hang out, but your secret is safe with me.

sten
Please use plain text.
cornercube
Community Member

in reply to ronta
"And let's assume a person could set up any habitat to make an area livable."

Not quite in the spirit of the original question, perhaps, but underground caverns are laregely unexplored and are invisible to satellite mapping.

“permenant tagline”:
“What's your point?...Are you trying to say...Are you trying to say...Are you suggesting...You are apparently in possession of knowlege...Please do tell us the real truth...We all love how you know the real truth...Please quote your sources...ain't nothing ...compared to your knowlege...would love to have the definitive version...We would all love to know...a gray area... which you, personally have pinned down...Please do give us your definitive version of history.”

Google and Wikipedia are not substitutes for education or intelligence.
— cornercube, 2009

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ronta

The inner most recesses of my wife's closet must qualify for this accolade.

Howard.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Please use plain text.
charmar10
Community Member

in reply to ronta
As an aside, and since his name was mentioned------

Was Steve Fosset or his remains ever found? As you can tell, I don't listen to the news much.:-)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ronta
The most unexplored and never reached accesses of human/Earth kind...I would say Greta Van Sustern's lips.

==========
Hiway...SLAP your fingers for typing this!! LOL

I couldn't resist and I was j/k :smileyhappy: <>

Hiway

"Sometimes, an ILL wind will blow by...being replaced by the CALM of Peace & Tranquility..." Hiway/Cloudy
<>
Hiway

I am PROOF :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ronta
I'd agree that Nevada and perhaps some parts of Utah would be among those unexplored. Just on a hunch, I'd also say that parts northern Maine and maybe Montana have been unexplored, excepting crazies.
Please use plain text.
renomarvinm
Community Member

in reply to ronta
The sewer system in New York City!!!

-

-

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ronta
The area meantioned is Yellowstone Park. Even rangers haven't visited many parts of it for over 10 years.
Please use plain text.
renomarvinm
Community Member

in reply to ronta
Go to a United States map, and pick out corners where two or more states meet. For instance, the southeast corner of Oregon, where Oregon joins Idaho to the east and with California to the south.

That exact corner - have you ever been there? Is there a road to that spot? Can anybody find it on the ground? If you committed a homicide on that corner, which agency would respond?

-

-

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ronta
There is an old ranch in Utah where the owner kept a secret for decades- his land was full of archaeological remains of the ancient Fremont Indians. When he turned the sites and the land over to the Government they were shocked at the rich find! How did he manage to keep it a secret all those years? That's how isolated places in the west can be. Wyoming is so sparsely populated you're almost guaranteed to find the place you want, but the weather is so harsh you'll know soon enough why no one lives there. There are lots of towns in the west that are near Gov. DOE sites where they used to play with radioactive stuff- most of the residents have died off from cancer and the like so there is lots of room.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: The most unexplored areas of the contiguous US?

in reply to ronta
Southern Utah in the area around the O'Henry mountains, near Capitol Reef is the most desolate place in all of the United States. In this area there is something called cryptogamic soil, which is soil infected by a fungus that takes 50 or more years to form. In areas where this soil is present, the ground looks similar to basalt pillars. A footstep will last 50 or more years and if you are walking in virgin cryptogamic soil there is a good chance no one has set foot in the spot in over l100 years. As a result, it is not uncommon to come across old native american artifacts or the remnants of settler's camps that have not been disturbed in over a century.
Please use plain text.
gopetersen
Community Member

Re: The most unexplored areas of the contiguous US?

in reply to ronta

Montana is very beautiful and peaceful.

Please use plain text.