eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Buyer says item doesn't work, it worked when I shipped it?!?!?

Hey All,

I just needed a sounding board here.

I sold a Sphero (a small ball that is controlled by your smartphone to do all sorts of cool stuff) to a buyer.  I had very thoroughly tested the item and it worked perfectly when it was sent to them.

Now the buyer is telling me that the item does not work.  I have tried to walk the buyer through what I think the problems are with no apparent success.  There appears to be a communication issue (the buyer's written english is very bad) that may be a problem as well.

I provided the buyer with Sphero's customer support site and asked them to contact Sphero to try and resolve the problem.  Now the buyer is saying that they don't want the "headache," want a refund (on a "No Returns" item), and says they are going to report me to Ebay Buyer Protection.

I think this is totally unfair.  I'm not certain what to do here.  I am new to selling on Ebay, and don't want a negative mark on my record because this person is either unwilling, or unable to get a technical item to work properly.  I don't think it's fair either that I have to refund the money to avoid this.

Thoughts?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Buyer says item doesn't work, it worked when I shipped it?!?!?

in reply to things2buyauctions

Selling on e bay,the seller has no choice or options truth be told.

To avoid a open case towards you as a seller and to avoid a Negative feed back from this seller?

I would first,apologize to the buyer.

Tell the buyer to send back the item with a tracking number.

After,"and only after" you receive the return item?Then,you give refund.

That's part of doing business on e bay.E bay isn't like the real world.

E bay has a 45 day Buyer's Protection policy.Trumps your "No return policy".

If you try to fight this you will lose!...

Sure you listed the item with a no return policy sure!...That don't matter.Your trumped with buyers protection.

The only choice/option you have is too,

Ask to have the item returned back to you with tracking.

After delivered?Give refund.

You have the right to open a seller's protection case if the item is not in the same condition as when you shipped it?(damaged).

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Last,send a cancel transaction to the buyer.So you can get your final value fee returned to you.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

So do you think I should just get the refund ball rolling instead of asking them to contact Sphero's customer support line?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

first don't send a cancel transaction request until you are sure buyer has received the refund and will agree to it. you only get a limited number of these requests, don't waste them.

it's your responcibility to get an item as described to buyer, buyer has no responciblity to fix it. best to refund apon return.

buyer protection complaints count against you as a seller

age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Don't bother getting into a discussion or debate with the buyer. 

I have one message I send for any complaint after the buyer receives the item:

Dear buyer:

I'm sorry you aren't happy with your purchase. If you're not happy, I'm not happy. Please return the item for a full refund. Return to:

John Galt

PO Box 100

Galt's Gulch, CO 88888

I will issue the refund when I receive the item back.

John.Galt

Use your own return address, and you can adjust the wording some. Just make it generic, so the same message will work for every item you sell. If you go into any further detail, you're digging a bigger hole for yourself. 

Repeat as necessary. No other words are necessary. No other words will ever help. Further questions get another copy of the same message, until the buyer either returns the item, or they give up and go away. 

You lock in your profit (or loss) when you buy the item.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

you also need to refund return shipping if item is deffective

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I have always believed in the Buyer Protection, but I think there is a loophole.

If you sell an item as NOT WORKING, AS-IS, then whatever they receive is theirs forever.

I know because this happened to me recently.  The item has physical damage inside of it, and the seller hid this.

I put in a case, and the seller won, I am now stuck without an appeal.

Justa  FYI, unless I did something wrong?

David

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I have always believed in the Buyer Protection, but I think there is a loophole.

If you sell an item as NOT WORKING, AS-IS, then whatever they receive is theirs forever.

I know because this happened to me recently.  The item has physical damage inside of it, and the seller hid this.

I put in a case, and the seller won, I am now stuck without an appeal.

Justa  FYI, unless I did something wrong?

David

Actually, there's no such thing as "As Is."  That's unenforceable, and that's not why you lost.

You bought an item listed with this in the item listing information: "Condition: For parts or not working : An item that does not function as intended and is not fully operational. This includes items that are defective in ways that render them difficult to use, items that require service or repair, or items missing essential components. See the seller’s listing for full details."  An item listed in that condition doesn't have to work. It was disclosed that the item didn't work (or was untested). Your seller told you it didn't work. 

You lock in your profit (or loss) when you buy the item.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

as is disclaimers work very well, see pay pal's tos.

but it's when you try to use "as is" as a way to void anything in the description that causes the problems.

it works the other was , anything stated in description voids the "as is " disclaimer

Please use plain text.