• Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
virginia_quailman
Community Member

Unknown EAPG Table Set - Please Help Glassies

Hello Folks,

I recently purchased this table set that I believe to be EAPG.  At the time, I thought it might be Bryce's Finecut Panel (or Russian) pattern, but have realized since that it's not.  It's a nice set that includes a butter dish, covered sugar, creamer, and a spooner (not pictured).

Does anyone recognize this pattern?  I've been through all my books and the EAPG Patterns web site to no avail.  Perhaps its not even EAPG (I don't see much wear on the bottoms of the pieces).

I can provide dimensions of all the pieces if it would be helpful, but I'll just list the butter dish dimensions for now:

Base is 8" in diameter

Height is approximately 5 1/8"

Any ideas the glass experts may have would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

5200092688_eapgset all.jpg
5200092689_eapgset butter.jpg
Please use plain text.
virginia_quailman
Community Member

Re: Unknown EAPG Table Set - Please Help Glassies

in reply to virginia_quailman

Here are a few more photos:

5200092690_eapgset close.jpg
5200092691_eapgset finial.jpg
Please use plain text.
tallcakes
Community Member

did you look at O'Hara #91 at EAPGpatterns

Please use plain text.
eapg
Community Member

Aren't the hexagons concave on this set?  On O'Hara No. 91 they're convex (raised buttons).

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi. *** DoRi Miles, Pattern Glass Editor, EAPGPatterns. I no longer do free i.d.'s as it's a conflict with my business.
Please use plain text.
tallcakes
Community Member

buttons sure look raised to me In the enlargements

Please use plain text.
eapg
Community Member

The one I looked at is Post No. 1, the enlargement of the lid, the center panel looks as if they're depressed, but I can see the raised buttons on the panels on either side.  Now I see the other pics show them raised. Oh, well, I think my i.d. days are numbered. 

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi. *** DoRi Miles, Pattern Glass Editor, EAPGPatterns. I no longer do free i.d.'s as it's a conflict with my business.
Please use plain text.
tallcakes
Community Member

perceived optical illusions are often difficult for me too, especially in clear glass. I had to study these images a bit and even then I have the screen image enlarged. The images at EAPGpatterns are even harder to decipher in this pattern

Please use plain text.
virginia_quailman
Community Member

Sorry folks.  I disappeared away from the computer while this discussion was going on.  The buttons are definitely raised.  Do you think the pieces are the O'Hara #91 pattern?

Please use plain text.
eapg
Community Member

Definitely.  

Please use plain text.
virginia_quailman
Community Member

Thanks for all your help.  I've seen an O'Hara Glass catalog reprint for sale.  Do you know if these pieces are illustrated in that catalog?  If so and someone has a copy, I'd love to see a scan of that particular page.

Please use plain text.
eapg
Community Member

If you're talking about the WV Museum reprints, you could contact them via eBay.

Please use plain text.
virginia_quailman
Community Member

I checked with Tom at the West Virginia Glass Museum.  The O'hara Glass monograph doesn't have any drawings or photos of the #91 pattern.  It was worth a try.  Thanks again everyone.

Please use plain text.
eapg
Community Member

I was pretty sure they didn't, I have a lot of WVGM's catalog pics.  EAPGPatterns.com shows a cologne and a salt shaker. 

Please use plain text.
virginia_quailman
Community Member

Hello Again Folks.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but I received a private e-mail from a credible glass expert who does not agree with the O'Hara #91 attribution to my table set.  He said that the bars on the pieces in question do not match the plain panels on #'s 90 and 91 in glass catalogs.  He believes the pieces in question are an as yet unattributed pattern called "Button Panel With Bars" (Heacock Book 1, p16; Book 6, p. 48; Book 7, pp.7, 86).

Clearly, the pieces are not Duncan's "Button Panel".  But I don't have the Heacock references to compare my set with the "Button Panel with Bars" pieces.  For those of you who have the Heacock books, do they show any covered pieces?  The finials on the pieces I have are quite distinctive.

Are there any other photos I can provide that might be useful to the discussion?  Thanks again!

Please use plain text.
eapg
Community Member

That's the advantage of having a catalog pic.  I looked at EAPGPatterns again and the button rows are offset on the cologne and salt shaker shown there, not alined like yours, my mistake.

Please use plain text.
virginia_quailman
Community Member

Thanks eapg.  I certainly appreciate your insight and efforts.  Any comment on the "Button Panel With Bars" possibility?

Please use plain text.
eapg
Community Member

My books have been in storage for a while, but I found this at Worthpoint so they should be credited with the photo. I cropped and straightened it.  The bars are noticeably prominent compared with the cologne and shaker at EAPGP, but aren't these buttons offset?

Also I tried to go to the ruby stained museum and it appears they're defunct.  Has anyone heard about this?  Ed had a copy of Heacock's Book 7, Ruby Stained Glass.

So I went to the Wayback Machine to try to get that and although there are 115 pages saved there, it's maddening that the B's end before Button Panel with Stars and jump right to the Q listings.  

Maybe someone with Hea 7 would post a shot of the missing page?

5200093524_BUTTON PANEL WITH BARS RUBY STAINED CRUET worthpoint.jpg
Please use plain text.
Community Member

First I do not know near as much about EAPG as the previous posters.

Several years ago, I had a spooner in your pattern.  It still had a Fostoria Label like the one in the link, attached to it.

http://antiques.about.com/od/glasswareofallkinds/ig/Glassware-Marks---Signatures/Fostoria-Paper-Label-Mark.htm

I bought the spooner from an older antiques dealer liquidating her stock.

She informed me that Fostoria remade some EAPG patterns back in the late 1970s early 80s.

I sold my spooner with the Fostoria label as remake not as an original EAPG pattern.

I am NOT saying your's is remake.  Only mentioning all this in case it leads one of the above posters to the correct answer.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I do not claim to be an expert.
I know a lot about everything, and nothing about anything.

It is your responsibility to verify anything I say, before using or repeating it.

The more I learn about some people, the more I like my cats.

Please use plain text.
eapg
Community Member

That would most likely be Fostoria's BRILLIANT pattern.

http://images.replacements.com/images/images5/crystal/F/fostoria_brilliant_stem_1001_round_compote_height_x_width_P0000025595S0003T2.jpg

Please use plain text.
gabla
Community Member

I believe it is a match for the Toothpick shown in Heacock 1 Fig 45 and named "Button Panal with Bars" by him. I'll get a scan in a little bit. Bredehoft does not show it by that name anyway. Heacock 7 refers to the possibility of a "Vulcan connection" for what it is worth.

Dori The Ruby Stained site has been gone for some time. I do not know what happened.

george
Please use plain text.