eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Geico
Community Member

S.S. Pierce and Co.

I could use some help with this crock.  From what I found googling, this company was around from 1831-1903 (approximately) and was a grocer in the Boston area. I cannot locate a logo that looks exactly like this one and was hoping someone was familiar with it.  Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!

Blessed and thankful for it---Lori
5200088182_021.JPG
5200088184_022.JPG
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: S.S. Pierce and Co.

in reply to lordirae

5200088185_005.JPG
5200088186_017.JPG
Please use plain text.
blue.bird.collections
Community Member

in reply to lordirae

I found several that are close enough, considering that logo isn't the sharpest. Being smeared that way, the lion under the SS is hard to see.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ss+pierce+co+boston&client=firefox-a&hs=Jrm&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:smileysurprised:fficial&biw=1600&bih=709&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=Yj54Uav4OIPQ9AS--YHIDA#imgrc=_

L*B (lady*bird)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to lordirae

Dang it! I swear I looked under images :smileysad:  Oh well, thanks so much for your help!!!

Please use plain text.
eapg
Community Member

in reply to lordirae

Your date is short because it appears you looked at the founder's life span.  It was sold in 1972 to Seneca Goods who retained the original name until the 1980s.

I'm a Bostonian and lived almost next to an S.S. Pierce store at Coolidge Corner, Brookline. MS/  This was a large and respected grocery carrying a lot of gourmet items, imports, fragrances, wines.  

To be specific, you have a bean pot, I used this older type of pot (no name) when I baked beans in my Glenwood wood stove at my NH farm in the 1960s.  

The logo dates from April 25,  1927 TOMORROW!

So the likely dates for your bean pot are the late 1920s, 1930s, and possibly into the 1940s. With WWII, a lot of manufacturing was curtailed.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi. *** DoRi Miles, Pattern Glass Editor, EAPGPatterns. I no longer do free i.d.'s as it's a conflict with my business.
Please use plain text.
eapg
Community Member

in reply to lordirae

And you're lucky to have the cover, many were dropped from being so hot when they came out of the oven, or in washing.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi. *** DoRi Miles, Pattern Glass Editor, EAPGPatterns. I no longer do free i.d.'s as it's a conflict with my business.
Please use plain text.
eapg
Community Member

in reply to lordirae

If you scroll way down, you'll see first use 1877, that bears looking into, that's quite a gap from 1927.

http://www.trademarkia.com/ss-pierce-puritas-et-cura-71247962.html

Please use plain text.
abeal49
Community Member

in reply to lordirae

S.S. Pierce delivered stuff all over the greater Boston area, I remember my mother bought everything from detergent to champagne from them!

A fur coat is just a second-hand garment that looked better on the original owner.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to lordirae

Western Stoneware, in case anyone is wondering.

Janet

Please use plain text.
ascot_auctions
Community Member

in reply to lordirae

I grew up outside of Boston and remember S S Pierce, too! We had one of those bean pots, and I have fond memories of my father baking beans in one. I believe he served them with brown bread. 

Janice
Please use plain text.
msgood2shoe
Community Member

in reply to lordirae

Janet, I noticed the Western Stoneware mark as well.  Do you know when the mark was used, that could help to date the piece.  For some reason I'm thinking the mark is newer, like around the time the store was sold or even later, but I could be wrong. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to lordirae

I looked in Lehner's, but it said a lot of their records were destroyed in a fire.  How many times have we heard that about potteries? :smileysad:

Janet

Please use plain text.
msgood2shoe
Community Member

in reply to lordirae

I'm fairly certain that Western made this shape for most if not all of their years of production

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to lordirae

Wow, thanks for all the great info! Guess the thing that stumps me is that there is no writing within the logo itself, but all of the examples seem to have some. Looks like I really do need to take the time to figure out a timeframe for this one.  If I find it, I will surely let ya'll know!

Please use plain text.
mforjan
Community Member

in reply to lordirae

Try asking here, I have heard they are very helpful :-)

For info only!!!!! http://www.crockerfarm.com/

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to lordirae

Some really great stuff on that site! I've emailed them and will let ya'll know what they say. Thanks again!

Please use plain text.