eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Recommendations for glass identification books/websites

Hi, I want to find out about the different type of vintage glass and how to identify them. Does anyone have any recommendation for books or websites that is suitable for beginners.
Many thanks
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Recommendations for glass identification books/websites

in reply to 09*artisan

Wow,  so many sites, so little time,  lol

EAPG-http://www.patternglass.com/eapgHome.html, EAPG.COm, http://www.eapgpatterns.com/

Depression and elegant:http://chataboutdg.com/gallery/

Carnival- http://www.ddoty.com/

I'm sure I just barely scratched the surface, but I have to go to that four letter word---- WORK

For books,  I think if you search the PGP  board there is a huge thread about book suggestions.

Rhonda and Bob-- Usually Bob posting
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to classiquejunque
Thanks for the quick reply. It is such a vast subject that I' m trying to start with the basics - like manufacturing techniques, additives, colours, pattern etc. I'm also trying to find out about a couple of manufacturers (sowerby , bagley) , as a starting point

The first two links don't seam to be working at the moment but I will definitely be looking at the other two which look to be very interesting.

Thanks again
Please use plain text.
allgoodstufffromourfamily2u
Community Member

in reply to 09*artisan

DO NOT buy the book: McCain's Field Guide to Pattern Glass.  It is famous for mistakes and cost me a lot of time and problems before I learned that.

Please use plain text.
eapg
Community Member

in reply to allgoodstufffromourfamily2u

I don't agree about McCain's Field Guide.  For EAPG, it's one of two basic books that are my top recommendation for that category and is a big money saver so you don't have to buy books on a particular company or form or an EAPG book that's limited to only the most popular patterns.

The Field Guide (don't buy  her other earlier books) is a CAD publication with all diagrams of patterns arranged by motif such as people, animals, flowers, squares, circles, etc.  Once you find your pattern, then you can go to the second book, the Wallace-Homestead Price Guide to Pattern Glass, 11th Ed. which has photographs in black and white, and updated information and corrections that apply to McCain.  From there you can further verify with reliable online searches.  The advantage of using this with the Field Guide is that if you have the W-H alone, you have to go through the entire book which is in alphabetical order, to find the pattern you're looking for, but McCain makes that easy.    

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi. *** DoRi Miles, Pattern Glass Editor, EAPGPatterns. I no longer do free i.d.'s as it's a conflict with my business.
Please use plain text.
msgood2shoe
Community Member

Just my 2 cents, but as long as you know that McCain's has errors and you need to double check her attributions, it is helpful as it is arranged by pattern elements.

The most common error I have found in McCain's is her attributions to U.S. Glass.  It seems that US Glass sold a lot of existing stock from the glassmakers that were joined to form that company. 

It's not nearly as useless as the Pattern Glass book by Edwards and Carwile, the patterns are in alpha order and there are hundreds of errors, and not just attribution errors. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to msgood2shoe

I think the Replacements site is great - especially for stemware. It's free, it's easy to use.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Please use plain text.
msgood2shoe
Community Member

in reply to 09*artisan

Where are you from?  I notice you mention Sowerby & Bagley, which are both non American makers.  Most of the peeps on this board are based in the US, so most of the books they are likely to recommend are books related to that market.  If you live somewhere else then many of the book recommendations wouldn't be as useful to you. 

Most books deal with patterns and colors ( I also noticed you use the Great Britian spelling) manufacturing techniques and additives. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to msgood2shoe

Good catch, MSGood2shoe!  European?--I didn't catch the spelling of colour/color.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

DoRi already weighed in, and I am not sure she will be back to this post.  I think she might have some of the best ideas.  If you do not get good answers from this post, try reposting in a day or so and mention the country or area that you are trying to learn about in the subject to get the attention of someone very knowledgeable about your region and the sources associated with it.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

If you are going to avoid an EAPG book I would say Edwards and Carwile.  That one is truely loaded with errors up the wazoo.  The value that I find in McCains is that the patterns are grouped by type, floral, plant, people...  It can give you a starting point from which to work.  It is one of my most often used books.

Rhonda and Bob-- Usually Bob posting
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to msgood2shoe
Oops...I had not realised that the users of this forum is prodominantly from the USA...yes I am British, so as a complete newby I am trying to concentrate on learning about European glass wear first. Nevermind I am still finding this site really interesting....thanks for all the help
Please use plain text.
eapg
Community Member

in reply to 09*artisan

Search for Angela Bowey's website.  

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi. *** DoRi Miles, Pattern Glass Editor, EAPGPatterns. I no longer do free i.d.'s as it's a conflict with my business.
Please use plain text.
msgood2shoe
Community Member

Here is a link to the message board associated with Angela Bowey's.  The focus on glass from your "side of the pond" 

http://www.glassmessages.com/

Here website with links to some resources.

http://angelabowey.com/

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to msgood2shoe
Thankyou
Please use plain text.