eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • StubHub

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

bustdunnies
Community Member

Figurines - What does TMJ stand for?

In my research to ID a spaghetti trim figurine, I've come across this term. Is it a general term for made in Japan porcelain or ceramic figurines?  Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Figurines - What does TMJ stand for?

in reply to bustdunnies

A lot of people say MIJ for made in Japan; TMJ is found on some stickers, so I think it's a specific importer.

Janet

Please use plain text.
abeal49
Community Member

in reply to janetpjohn_la

Temporomandibular joint disorder

A fur coat is just a second-hand garment that looked better on the original owner.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

do you mean TMK= trademark

Please use plain text.
kentworld
Community Member

in reply to md1919
For me, TMJ means Too Much Junk (in my house!)...
Please use plain text.
le*attique
Community Member

in reply to bustdunnies

"bustdunnies" is foo tunny.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to le*attique

No, the stickers I mentioned have TMJ in large cursive letters.  It's some kind of importer or distributor. http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vntg-japan-spaghetti-tmj-november-chrysanthemum

Janet

Please use plain text.
bustdunnies
Community Member

Thanks Janet for actually addressing my question. Anyone who does a search under TMJ figurines will see that it's a real term. I didn't know it was a company name.

I wasn't trying to be funny.

Strange that when I do try to be funny, I get blank looks (except from the brightest and most sophisticated in the room- jokes are room filters after all). LOL When I ask a serious question, no one takes me seriously.  :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
bustdunnies
Community Member

in reply to bustdunnies

Oh... le*attique thinks my ID is funny, not my OP.  Thanks.  :robotembarrassed:

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bustdunnies

Because of this baby's behind, I thought it might be T.M. James, but I can't find any other things with a connection.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-PORCELAIN-CRY-CRYING-BABY-NEW-YEAR-DECEMBER-KING-CROWN-DIAPER-BOY-FIGURE...

Janet

Please use plain text.
c*me*4*lefton*info
Community Member

in reply to bustdunnies

I have considerable references for things like this. I can not accurately tell you what TMJ stands for. Clearly TMJ was an importer of Made in Japan giftware (like angel figurines and decorative plates). They were apparently not a maker but were an importer.

When I searched around a little bit for some reason ebay thinks it may be related to Norcrest (another importer). But I find no evidence to suggest that is accurate.

Judging from the style of the TMJ items I see on ebay they were apparently active in the late 1950s and early 1960s. TMJ may be a company name or it may be a trademark type name a company of another name used (not enough accurate information available to say it is certainly one or the other).

During the late 1950s early 1960s in the US there were hundreds of small and obscure Made in Japan importers in business, many of which one finds no accurate information about. I suggest TMJ is such an importer. Other than satisfying a curiousity or solving a mystery I can think of no reason that discovering which company TMJ was is significant (my opinion). The site http://hrgallery.8m.com/marks.html

shows many MIJ paper labels, some rather obscure. But no TMJ (that I can see).

Please use plain text.
c*me*4*lefton*info
Community Member

in reply to bustdunnies

I also wanted to add one of my references is the 1955-56 Gift and Art Buyers Directory (a Geyer-McAllister publication). It lists thousands of makers, importers, and sellers (companies and individual peoples names) that were in the Giftware business at that time. It has an alphebetical list of manufacturers, importers, and jobbers. It has an alphabetical list of merchandise listings and sources. It has an alphabetical list of trade names. There is a section of Japanese China sellers in the merchandise listings, no TMJ. In the alphabetical list of makers, jobbers, and importers, no TMJ. In the index of trade names, no TMJ. I consider this reference exceptionally thorough and accurate, the main reason I say TMJ is a small and obscure importer because if it was otherwise I believe they would be listed in this directory (my opinion) in some way or another.

Please use plain text.
bustdunnies
Community Member

in reply to c*me*4*lefton*info

Thanks for all your help in looking that up, c*me*4. It looks like Janet has found a good reference for the TMJ label in post #10. I've since found a few more of the labels on other listings. There is a T.M. James & Sons China company but I don't know if there's any connection. Thanks also Janet, for the chuckle. Like I said, my humor doesn't always appeal to everyone. Boo tad. :smileyvery-happy: 

Unfortunately, all this doesn't help me to ID my figurine, which is of a kissing bride with her bloomers showing. Her face and heart shaped lips are a lot like Lefton or Napco but there is no mark or sticker. I just came across the TMJ ref. when I was searching and it made me wonder. The TMJ reference seems very prevalent on this site in spite of its lack of mention in the reference books so I thought maybe it was a code word that collectors might use.

I'll try to get a photo posted tomorrow and maybe we can get an ID on the little lady. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
le*attique
Community Member

in reply to bustdunnies

yes goo yot nit ow.

"bust dunnies" is foo tunny nor a foozername.  :smileylol:

Please use plain text.