eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Why are your ebay fees so high?

Why are your ebay fees so high? I just sold an item on ebay for $900.00 and you charged me over 10%. I have began selling my items on other auction sites where their fees are a lot less. Being involved with computers most of my life I know that your actual costs are very very low. I feel that I am being cheated by ebay. It is easy to see why a lot of ebay users quit using ebay and finding other on line auction sites.

Other Answers: 7
Community Member
Answered
in reply to oak748

10% across the board is way too high!! It used to be 9% up to a certain amount then dropped!! Just sold 2 processors for $1,059.00.... The fee?? $105.00!! Now try and explain to me how it costs eBay anywhere close to $105.00 for me to list a stock photo and a few words! I've been an eBay buyer / seller for 14 years!! This is getting ridiculous!!

the_right_stuff99
Community Member
Answered
in reply to oak748

Being involved with computers most of my life I know that your actual costs are very very low.

Okay, Mr./Ms. Computer Guy/Gal, tell me:

How much does eBay spend on advertising, so people will come to the site to look at YOUR stuff?

How much does eBay spend on their Buyer Protection Program, so people will feel safe sending YOU money?

How much does eBay spend on their HUNDREDS/THOUSANDS of servers, mirror sites, disaster recovery, etc?

Break it down for us, Oh All-knowing Computer God.

shanechas
Community Member
Answered
in reply to oak748

You should have researched the fees before selling the item,  10% is a normal fee,  did you use a FREE listing on this item??  Every seller without a store gets 50 free listings a month, so you listed for free,  you should take into consideration the fee for selling a high end item and then adjust your opening bid accordingly,   Ebay gives every seller the option to know what the items they are selling will cost them when the item ends,  so it should not have been a surprise if you had done your homework....

mrsmtn
Community Member
Answered
in reply to oak748

You know that eBay's costs are very very low??  Do you think eBay is one guy with a server???  No, maintaining this worldwide service with all of the enhancements is sky-high costly.  That's what the fees are for.

kraloe
Community Member
Answered
in reply to oak748

A person is not required to be a seller on eBay. 

nc-daydreamer
Community Member
Answered
in reply to oak748

This may be just the answer you are looking for:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/account/closing-account.html

=====================================
Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily.
ritacummins
Community Member
Answered
in reply to oak748

Do those other auction sites have the same coverage as Ebay?   Do the same number of people see your item?   Is your percentage of sales on those other sites as good as it is on Ebay?

Do the math and you will see why over 100 million buyers and sellers use Ebay.