eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Accepted Solution
WHAT DOES EBAY DO TO NON PAYERS

Why is it that EBAY does NOTHING to high bidders that do NOT pay for the item.

I sold a item for $1000 to a NON payer.  But, only to see there feedback to bid on something else for $7000 and had been left feedback for fast pay for the same date they purchased mine???

What does ebay do for US???

Accepted Solutions: 2
Community Member
Answered
in reply to chicago65

E-bay doesn't know they''re non-payers unless you use the seller tool called the UPI process to alert E-bay of them not paying. Using the UPI process to open an Unpaid Item Claim against a non-payer and then closing results in the non-payer receiving an unpaid item strike and you receiving there FVF back.

One strike has little impact. When they receive their 2nd strike, they will be seriously curtailed in bidding and buying from sellers who have the buyer requirement set up in their listings of not allowing any ID with 2 or more unpaid item strikes within the past 12 months from bidding or buying. If you don't have that buyer requirement in your listings you should add (Account.Site Preferences/Buyer Requirements).

mrsmtn
Community Member
Answered
in reply to chicago65

What eBay does for you are two things you need to do for yourself:

File Unpaid Item cases on non-payers and close them in four days, giving them a strike on their account.

Set your seller preferences to block members with two or more strikes.

If all sellers did these things non-payers would be unable to buy.

Other Answers: 7
tjw1945
Community Member
Answered
in reply to chicago65

In my opinion none payers should be banned from buying on ebay for at least 12months for first time they do not pay.And a seller should be able to leave them negative feedback to warn other sellers from selling to them.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to chicago65

Even with the 2 strike rule, it resets after 1 year, so in reality you are correct, eBay does nothing to stop this type of behavior. In fact, its ridiculously weak policy encourages non-payment. The rate of non-payers has risen so dramatically in the past year for me personally, that I am done with ebay as a seller.

They get a virtual "slap on the wrist" for breaking a contract, when in fact ebay should ban them for life. A buyer gets to do this type of behavior every six months with no repercussions. There is no "visible" mark on their record, and it basically just put them in a timeout box, and that's only if they exceed 2 non-pays in a year! Its why I'm done with ebay as a seller. Its ruined the experience for me. I've had so many non-payers lately I'm fed up.

With this economy, many things only sell certain times of the month. When I get a non-payer, it screws me up so I have to wait a month to sell that same item again.

Go to any real auction house and try not paying. See what happens. They won't let you bid again.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to chicago65

The worst part is a seller cant put negative feedback for the non payer The non payer can do it to the innocent seller

64stang
Community Member
Answered
in reply to chicago65

Basically, eBay does nothing but collect the sale commission that takes you a month to get back.  So that is what eBay does.

escheffler2012
Community Member
Answered
in reply to chicago65

Ebay ought to allow us to automatically any nonpayer after one mark. We alos ought to be able to SEE the non-payer marks left BY eBay so we can know if a bidder is a nonpayer......

craneclimber1
Community Member
Answered
in reply to chicago65

I'm impressed....you must be doing something right.

12 years on ebay with over 1700 fb as seller and you are just now needing to learn about UPI disputes.

Here's to the next 12 years....more of the same!

image079
Community Member
Answered
in reply to chicago65

I too am done with selling on ebay, for the above reason.