eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Can I sell to a particular buyer on ebay without opening the sale up to everyone.

My item did not sell, but I got an offer at a lower price. I know that it is agaist ebay policy to sell directly to that person. Is there a way to set up a sale on ebay that only he can see?

Other Answers: 4
pi_r_square
Community Member
Answered
in reply to myyardsale10

eBay has discontinued the "Preapproved Bidder" feature, as we knew it.

However, there are workarounds:

Method 1 (preferred by some folks):

A.  Set up the auction with starting price at the amount agreed, and notify your potential bidder.

B.  Cancel all bids other than that of the person to whom you promised the item, and end the auction early after your transaction partner bids.

Advantage: No extra eBay fees

Disadvantage:  You might have a lot of work cancelling bids.

===

Method 2:

A.  Set up auction as a Buy It Now (BIN), with a reserve at or just below BIN  (Remember, your Reserve Fee will not be refunded)

B.  Email prospective buyer immediately after listing the auction, giving buyer the auction number, and informing them the auction will be "limited" for only a short time.

C.  The buyer then has a period of time in which the auction is not indexed, and can be bought without bids from competitors.

D.  If the prospective buyer is a no-show during the "waiting for index time", the auction is soon visible to all eBayers, and can be purchased by anybody, including the prospective buyer.  

Advantage:  This gives the seller a chance to sell the item, even if the prospective buyer does not take advantage of the offer.

Disadvantages:  The buyer might not see the auction in time, and somebody else might win.  Your reserve fee is not  refunded, even if the bid does or does not meet the reserve.

===

Method 3:

Set up a fixed price sale with a VERY high  price, and with a "best offer".    Most folks will not bid because of the high price.  However, if your prospective buyer makes a Best Offer at  the price you previously agreed, you can accept that offer and complete the transaction.  

This method is somewhat more convenient, in that you won't have to cancel any bids.

Disadvantage:  If the prospective buyer is a no-show, you can lose the listing fee.

===

Method 4:

Set up your auction, with the title and/or description/ body containing a phrase similar to "This is an auction specifically for ".

Advantage:  No extra eBay fees

Disadvantages:  

A.  Strange folks may bid anyway, requiring you to cancel bids.  If somebody else wins, you could file an "Unwelcome Bidder" complaint, but that process takes time.

B. If you do not include a description of the item(s),  both you and the buyer will have an interesting time if a Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) issue arises.

------------------------------

Let us know which works for you.

Please return to your question soon, and click "Accept as Solution" for any helpful answers, from any responder. If you were asked for clarification, please add your comments very quickly -- otherwise the responders may be unable to give further help
Community Member
Answered
in reply to myyardsale10

I suggest that you use a combination of the ways that pi specified. 1. Use a VERY HIGH price to open,WITH a "best offer" option. 2.Put for "zzzzzz" ONLY in the title.  3. When the specified buyer bids at the pre-set price that you have agreed to,simply accept it and that ends the auction. Hope this helps.:-D

Y'all come back now y'hear?
bostongrammy
Community Member
Answered
in reply to myyardsale10

An additional advantage of relisting in auction format is that in most categories the Final Value Fee will be lower.

jesusrocks3339
Community Member
Answered
in reply to myyardsale10

wow, ok here is what I would do.  Just set up a buy it now listing and email your buyer with the item number. If he gets it great, if not you have sold it to someone else and it is sold anyways.  also you could ask this person if they want it and they could look for it around a certain time of day so they are aware ahead of  time to look for the item.