eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
WHICH picture has to be the minimum 500 pixels?

My stuff is pretty small. When looking at the listing, which picture are they talking about? The first small thumbnail type gallery picture? The picture that opens once you click on the listing? Or when you click on that to view larger size?

I have treid to find info on this in the forums and the "policy" i printed out isn't specific.

Any link to information about this would be appreciated! Thanks!

Other Answers: 7
Community Member
Answered
in reply to belfrystudios

For those of you who are struggling with getting EBay to stop marking your pictures as uncompliant, after much experimentation, I've found these steps actually convince EBay to accept my photos (I had the right size but was still getting weird "Compliance: Undetermined" warnings):

(1) Retake or rescan your photos.  Do not in any way alter them except to crop them, even if colors, etc., do not come through accurately (mention this in your item description).  The "Compliance: Undetermined" warning seems to be for pictures that have been retouched in some way--color changed, sharpened, etc. 

(2)  Use Pixlr (free and easy) to change the size of all your photos to at least 1600 pixels on the wrong side.  EBay says 500 pixels, but it accepts 1600 better. 

It's a long, slow, and mostly unnecessary process, but it's working for me.  Hope that helps!

shipscript
Community Member
Answered

1600 pixels is not a requirement. It is a recommendation.

The requirement is a minimum of 500 pixels.

Next fall, eBay will not allow upload of a photo that is under 500 pixels on the long side. That is where you will see the requirement enforced. They will also not allow an undersized photo in a relist, sell-similar, or revise.

If a photo is under 1000 pixels on the long side, you will see a message that the size could be better, but this is not a requirement.

eBay recommends (but does not require) that the size be at least 1600 pixels on the long side. If you upload a photo that is larger than 1600 pixels on the long side, eBay will simply reduce the photo to 1600 to store on their server as a master copy. From that master copy, they will make all the smaller versions that they display on the site.

If you upload a photo that is smaller than 1600 pixels and larger than 500 pixels, that uploaded photo will be the saved master from which all other sizes are made. eBay will not upscale a small photo, so a smaller upload means you may not see features that require a larger photo, or your photo may not fill the space allocated to an enlarged view.

Supersize and Zoom will display the 1600 pixel image if it is available, or the next largest size that was uploaded. A 500-pixel upload will not display any supersize or zoom.

I looked at one of your listings and your earring photo is 866 × 962 pixels. You get both supersize and zoom with that size, so that photo is fine. When the supersize photo first appears in the popup window, it is sized to fit my display, so it's about 400×450. However, once I click the "+" button, it supersizes to its full dimensions. So continue to use the numbers on your computer as a guide to your image sizes.

Camera Settings

What size comes off your camera? Even if your camera shoots only 640x480, your photos would meet eBay requirements, as long as you don't need to crop very much of the photo. Too much cropping could result in a photo that is under 500 pixels.

To avoid cropping, be sure to use the Macro http://isdntek.com/demo/camera/Macro.gif closeup setting on your camera for your jewelry and move in close so that the item fills the viewfinder. Rotate your camera, if necessary, to fit the item to the screen.

If you have a higher resolution camera, you probably wouldn't need anything better than the 1MP or 2MP setting. A higher camera setting (3MP-4MP) would only be necessary if you needed to crop away a large part of the image. There should never be any reason to use a camera setting higher than 4MP.

For Photos, HTML, CSS and template questions, please visit the Tools & Apps forum.
eBay Community Hall of Fame 2007
Free Resources for Better Auctions • Programs • Tools • Templates • Help • Guides
Community Member
Answered

Thank shipscript! I appreciate your response. I't weird though, because the pixels you mention in that earring listing are not what it says for me (when I click on properties in the listing...)

I think I am just going to go through and edit the border and text from all my pics and wait out the size issue for now.

Thanks again!

cute.shoes
Community Member
Answered

Actually - the NEW requirement is 1600 pixels.

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/newlistingrequirements.html

But until then, see here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/pictures.html

Community Member
Answered

1600? The second bullet right there in the link you posted says

"Photos must be at least 500 pixels on the longest side of the picture."

What am I missing here? I've been trying for an hour here trying to get a picture to be 500pixels let alone 1600!!!

I have to resize my photo on my computer to 1000x1387 just to make my zoom picture 374x518 according to Ebay. Thats my ZOOM picture, not my lefthand picture.So whatever my picture on my computer says the pixel size is, is NOT what ebay says it is. I just want to know which picture I am supposed to make sure is 500 cuz whatever the number my computer gives me is not the number shown in the listing  :smileysad:

shipscript
Community Member
Answered

belfrystudios, That may be due to the size it appears on your screen. Your browser may be reporting the scaled screen size rather than true size. For instance, the sizes reported by my browser are:

866px × 962px  (scaled to 637px × 706px)

For Photos, HTML, CSS and template questions, please visit the Tools & Apps forum.
eBay Community Hall of Fame 2007
Free Resources for Better Auctions • Programs • Tools • Templates • Help • Guides
kraloe
Community Member
Answered

The pic you upload. You don't have any control over the size of those other pics.