eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Upside down photos

Ebay is forcing my photos to be upside down. I tried sending upside down ones, hoping they would then show as right side up but alas, they are all still upside down.

Other Answers: 4
whiskertail
Community Member
Answered
in reply to 7pablo

This is just a shot in the dark, as I do not know much about it, and I could be completely wrong.

Perhaps eBay is reading the EXIF tag and forcing it into a certain orientation?

Try using software to remove or reset the EXIF tag.

Google "exif tag" "upside down"  and you will find quite a bit of info.

shipscript
Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]
in reply to 7pablo

eBay is not doing anything new or wrong.

Your photos are upside down because you held your camera or  iPad or cellphone upside down. I take upside down photos all the time with my iPad because it's hard to tell up from down on a pad that smooth.

A few cameras have a device that detects whether you have tilted or rotated your camera. The camera will store that information as EXIF data in the image, which then tells your photo viewer how to rotate the photo back to the way you were holding the camera when you took the picture. So your upside down pictures are probably rotated correctly on the viewer on your computer.

But eBay doesn't read EXIF data, so they don't rotate it from upside down to the orientation you held your camera.  You will have to rotate the photo yourself in a photo editor before you upload to eBay.

Alternatively, if you use eBay's new Enhanced image uploader, or Flash-based standard uploader, you can rotate within the uploader.

7pablo wrote:

I tried sending upside down ones, hoping they would then show as right side up but alas, they are all still upside down.

That is because the EXIF data was altered, but not the physical image, and eBay ignores EXIF data. You need to rotate the physical image in an image editor, not in the file viewer.

For Photos, HTML, CSS and template questions, please visit the Tools & Apps forum.
eBay Community Hall of Fame 2007
Free Resources for Better Auctions • Programs • Tools • Templates • Help • Guides
pingpong517
Community Member
Answered
in reply to 7pablo

really ebay is forcing your photo to be upside down?

i doubt that is possible, are you sure?...i saw no upside down ones..

*partly*cloudy*
Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]
in reply to 7pablo

The Panasonic listing does look as if it's upside down. The Apple listing looks like it may be sideways. I have seen some limited info about picture quality and I have heard that eBay may be getting ready to enforce it. Makes me wonder if they're working on the programming.

"Here Comes the Sun..." — George Harrison | Abbey Road > 1969