eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

New photo policy = 100 items to be cancled ???

I spent over an hour on the phone and never got an answer from anyone.  I received numerous emails saying my photos violate policies.  With one specific item, I fixed the listing.  Uploaded picture that was >> 500 pixels on every side.   They still report it as bad.

Ebay new policy applies to ebay hosted pictures.  In that listing, it is ONLY the gallery pictures.   They say "artwork" is the problem.

No one can tell me what is wrong.   Email says listing to be removed.  Along with ~99 others. 

How the hell does one get through to anyone there ?

Please use plain text.
silverbeadz
Community Member

Re: New photo policy = 100 items to be cancled ???

in reply to remote*control

It is very frustrating. I had 106 listings (some which aren't running anymore) in their MC999 list they sent me. Mine too are at least 500 pixels, but when I upload them, they usually reize to about 499 pixels (longest side). That sounds so fishy, as if ebay is intentionally downsizing them just to make us mad. 

I too contacted CS, but they can't answer my question. Said they'd "expedite" my situation to tech support. Yeah right.

Please use plain text.
sadiesshop615
Community Member

Re: New photo policy = 100 items to be cancled ??? BORDERS and TEXT appears to be the problem...

I spent over an hour on the phone and never got an answer from anyone.  I received numerous emails saying my photos violate policies.  With one specific item, I fixed the listing.  Uploaded picture that was >> 500 pixels on every side.   They still report it as bad.

Ebay new policy applies to ebay hosted pictures.  In that listing, it is ONLY the gallery pictures.   They say "artwork" is the problem.

No one can tell me what is wrong.   Email says listing to be removed.  Along with ~99 others. 

How the hell does one get through to anyone there ?

The above listing 270886622380 photo appears okay,

(could be sharper), but no "artwork" problem w/ it.

There are other listing photos, containing red / blue color borders, 

some with text, that would definitely trigger an "artwork" warning from eBay.

Such as...these

Not to sound rude here .... but I full well understand SOME / MANY (whatever) of my listings do NOT meet ebay guide lines. 

MY point was MANY of those in the email I received appear to meet ALL of their photo guidelines.   Yet they imply the listing will be pulled.

I did NOT check the listings you reported - not really addressing my point so no need to do so. 

I don't have a problem with ebay or anyone else telling me this or that listing violates this new photo policy ... unless of course the ONLY ebay hosted photo is the gallery photo and it appears to be well within the policy.  Yet it will be canceled.   And no one there can explain.

Please use plain text.
shipscript
Community Member

remote*control

I posted your issue on the other thread about "artwork" so eBay programmers can see the false positives.

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Photos-Html/Picture-Warningmc999-Artwork/5100162051

silverbeadz

I looked at your listings using this tool and your sizes vary all over the place. There are only a few on the first page that are 499, so I would be inclined to call it a random coincidence that they are not 500, just like the ones that measure 479x460 or 493x486 are randomly not 500.

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ListingPhotoSizes.htm

You can fix your "499" photos in the tool or upload larger images.

"...Mine too are at least 500 pixels, but when I upload them, they usually reize to about 499..."

If you are uploading undersized photos, eBay is not resizing them. The tool above will show the actual size that eBay considers to be your original.  What tool did you use to upload and how long ago did you upload the photos that have been "resized smaller"? Did you ever use Picture Manager or Turbo Lister on any of the listings with undersized photos that you feel eBay made smaller?

We know that TurboLister will take a larger photo and reduce it to 400 if imported from editing externally, but I have not seen any examples of 499 in TL.

For Photos, HTML, CSS and template questions, please visit the Tools & Apps forum.
eBay Community Hall of Fame 2007
Free Resources for Better Auctions • Programs • Tools • Templates • Help • Guides
Please use plain text.
lilykay9
Community Member

I got an email from eBay with a list of about 130 items that are not "500 pixels on the longest side" and was told to change them before July 1st "so they won't be blocked from relisting or removed". Whatever happened to the "grandfathering" policy I read about? These are all GTC items and should come under the "grandfathering" policy.

To further complicate things, on my eBay Summary Page, there is a list of 313 items that are not "500 pixels on the SHORTEST side". What's that about? Is it longest side or shortest side? The policy says longest side. Why am I being hassled about the shortest side on my eBay Summary Page?

Please use plain text.
shipscript
Community Member

lilykay9, you wouldn't happen to have a screenshot would you? eBay needs to fix that right away.

"...These are all GTC items and should come under the "grandfathering" policy...."

eBay doesn't know that you will keep those items in GTC, so the warning covers all photos that are too small. Rest assured, eBay will grandfather your GTC items as they originally announced.

For Photos, HTML, CSS and template questions, please visit the Tools & Apps forum.
Free Resources for Better Auctions • Programs • Tools • Templates • Help • Guides
Please use plain text.
silverbeadz
Community Member

silverbeadz

"I looked at your listings using this tool and your sizes vary all over the place. There are only a few on the first page that are 499, so I would be inclined to call it a random coincidence that they are not 500, just like the ones that measure 479x460 or 493x486 are randomly not 500."

When dealing with such small items and cropping out the excess negative space, it's hard to make them all uniform.

"If you are uploading undersized photos, eBay is not resizing them. The tool above will show the actual size that eBay considers to be your original. What tool did you use to upload..."

GarageSale. It's for Macintosh

"... and how long ago did you upload the photos that have been "resized smaller"? "

They're all new, so less than 30 days.

"Did you ever use Picture Manager or Turbo Lister on any of the listings with undersized photos that you feel eBay made smaller?"

I'm not familiar w/PM. I use GarageSale and it uploads to Ebay Picture Service. I cannot use Turbo Lister. ebay doesn't make it for Mac.

"We know that TurboLister will take a larger photo and reduce it to 400 if imported from editing externally, but I have not seen any examples of 499 in TL."

That's because I don't use it. The 499 is a mystery to me too. Usually it's on a size longer than 500, like 528 px. It's almost as if it's being done on purpose, just so that it falls below 500. Strange.

I don't know if it is GarageSale or ebay doing this, of course neither will take credit/blame. (I've put in calls to ebay CS and posted to GS's forum, but no results from either yet)

Some of my items were resized in Photoshop when they were smaller from back in the old days of ebay when they suggested pictures be like 300x400 or so. But all my new pictures are at least 500 pix, although it's very hard todo that working with such small items. But even so, when I upload a picture directly from my camera to photoshop, (cropping out useless blank area), no up- or down-sizing, it will STILL be resized to about 80-95% of the original size of greater than 500 px longest side.

Please use plain text.
shipscript
Community Member

That's because I don't use it. The 499 is a mystery to me too. Usually it's on a size longer than 500, like 528 px. It's almost as if it's being done on purpose, just so that it falls below 500. Strange.

I don't know if it is GarageSale or ebay doing this, of course neither will take credit/blame. (I've put in calls to ebay CS and posted to GS's forum, but no results from either yet)

Some of my items were resized in Photoshop when they were smaller from back in the old days of ebay when they suggested pictures be like 300x400 or so. But all my new pictures are at least 500 pix, although it's very hard todo that working with such small items. But even so, when I upload a picture directly from my camera to photoshop, (cropping out useless blank area), no up- or down-sizing, it will STILL be resized to about 80-95% of the original size of greater than 500 px longest side.

I found this on the GarageSale website although I don't know if it applies to uploading to eBay hosting and I don't know if you are using GarageSale image storage in conjunction with eBay hosting.

"GarageSale will automatically scale your images to the right size before it uploads your images."

Is there a setting anywhere in GarageSale that defines the largest picture size you want the tool to use?

Since eBay began offering free Picture Pack last year, there has been no reason to produce a 500 pixel photo. Prior to that, 500 pixels was the free photo and anything larger was available for a fee. So if your photos are over a year old, then they were reduced by one of the parties during the upload.

The 499 is just a rounding off artifact and is not malicious. I have the same rounding errors in the image tools I write. If a photo has an odd dimension, rounding off may actually round down instead of up.

Please use plain text.
silverbeadz
Community Member

"I found this on the GarageSale website although I don't know if it applies to uploading to eBay hosting and I don't know if you are using GarageSale image storage in conjunction with eBay hosting."

No, I don't use GS image storage, I use Ebay's Picture Service.

""GarageSale will automatically scale your images to the right size before it uploads your images."

Is there a setting anywhere in GarageSale that defines the largest picture size you want the tool to use?"

There used to be, however I always had it set to NOT resize my images. In this latest version, I cannot find that setting.

"Since eBay began offering free Picture Pack last year, there has been no reason to produce a 500 pixel photo."

I know that. I try to make them big since ebay changed their features. But try and photograph something that's 1/4 inch in size. Try to make a 800+ pixel photo out of that. 500 is my maximum on some of these items. It's even pushing it to get 500 pixels. It's not like I'm photographing household appliances or shoes. No one should have a problem with things like that, but 4mm, 8mm items? Without putting several in a picture, which I also do, it's hard. But sometimes you want to see just ONE object, like for the gallery picture.

"Prior to that, 500 pixels was the free photo and anything larger was available for a fee. So if your photos are over a year old, then they were reduced by one of the parties during the upload."

The photos may be over a year old, but the listings are new (I do not do GTC, I list new listings each time (or a relist in case the item got sales, but in that case I still upload the photos again). And even though the photos are over a year old, most are still larger than 500 px because I started upsizing them over a year ago when this new policy was announced (it was originally scheduled for February, IIRC).

It may be a case that GarageSale was doing some weird glitchy thing where it resized it anyway. They just released a new version today (coincidence?) which seems to be uploading my photos at the size they are intended to be, at least it seems that way so far.

BTW, shipscript, thank you for that URL for the image tool. It is very helpful to see which of my images are too small. When I was on the phone with ebay's CS, the guy told me he would send me a message with the url "within 72 hours." I had to laugh at that timeframe.

Please use plain text.
lilykay9
Community Member

shipscript:

I'll try to get screenshots tomorrow. I appreciate your help.

Please use plain text.
lebadang
Community Member

I am running into the same thing....and I checked to compare...My orginal photo when I created the listing in turbo lister is 520 * 693....but ebay flagged it.     380651678231

So I did a save the pic and the newly saved pic is 300 * 400

I did a random check on of the 250 flagged and they were all the within the new guidelines when listed and when I look at the properties of that pic on my computer...but all come up smaller on ebay????

Am I missing something????  I am allowed to use stock photos as the items are all new with tags and not used.  The MC999 refered to Photos smaller than 500 pixels on longest side

Ann

Please use plain text.
shipscript
Community Member

lebadang

Your listings have probably gotten into the TurboLister funnel. When items are revised outside of Turbo and are synchronized back into Turbo, the photos are reduced to 400 pixels. This is an artifact from when the standard eBay photo was 400 pixels and apparently eBay had forgotten about that feature within TL because it has plagued users who began noticing the problem ever since Picture Pack became free.

There is no workaround or undo. The only solution is to upload new photos. However, to avoid cycling through the same issue all over again, do not edit outside of Turbo and then import. Instead, make your changes from within Turbo, where the problem does not seem to be present.

Stock photos are another issue. When you sell new items with UPC codes that pull descriptions and photos from eBay's catalog, those stock photos are exempt from the picture standards. However, if you use "stock photos" from your supplier for your new items, they must meet the new picture standards. One should not use photos from a manufacturer website without the owner's permission because that would be a copyright infringement.

Please use plain text.
lilykay9
Community Member

Here are 2 screen captures my husband did for me. The 2nd one is unreadable, but my husband said you can possibly enlarge it (if not, let me know, maybe I can get it to be more legible). The text is so small in the 2nd capture that I copied it and pasted it below. Each item has the following text under it. Notice it says on the shortest side.

Text: "To improve your chances of selling this item, upload a larger photo that is at least 500 pixels on the shortest side. Later this year, all listings will require this, so please update all your photos to this size at a minimum. Not doing so will violate our policy on photos and could result in a listing being removed."

image 1

image 2

Please use plain text.
lilykay9
Community Member

Click on "attachments" and you can see a large, clear version of image 2. :smileyhappy:

Notice it says on the shortest side.

Please use plain text.
lilykay9
Community Member

"Rest assured, eBay will grandfather your GTC items as they originally announced."

I wish I had confidence in this, but I don't. They've done some weird things to me in the past-- like once they ended 2 items, saying that they were identical. The 2 items had NOTHING

in common--totally different photos, totally different titles and descriptions. They were posters of 2 different bands that had no relation to each other. Why eBay thought they were identical is a mystery to me.

Please use plain text.
shipscript
Community Member

lilykay9, thanks for the screen captures. :-D  I've forwarded those to eBay.

Please use plain text.
lilykay9
Community Member

Thank you, shipscript! :smileyhappy: I've got my fingers crossed.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I received a long list of items too - and if in the media cathegory Ebay would'nt have their crappy item catalog that is the smallest one of any of the bookselling places, they'd have the matching photos. Just another pretension of quality... 4.5% better sales OH WOW what a number! This BS just means 4.5 percent less sales, i don;t have time to hunt after hundreds of photos.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

After another hour on the phone, an American Ebay employee, from their technical support group, confirmed to me that the Ebay system does have a "feature".   This great feature will sometimes AUTOMATICALLY resize a sellers photo (for no reason that could be explained to me).  A sellers photos can FULLY MEET THE NEW PHOTO GUIDELINES,  then  be  AUTOMATICALLY RESIZED, to a point where it NO LONGER MEETS THE NEW PHOTO POLICY.  

Due to this AUTOMATIC PHOTO RESIZING, the listing WILL BE CANCELED on July 1st, unless the seller is able to resize the photo so that it meets the new photo policy.

Keep in mind, after YOU RESIZE THE PHOTO FOR  A SECOND TIME, EBAY MAY AUTOMATICALLY RESIZE THE PHOTO SO THAT IT NO LONGER MEETS THE NEW PHOTO POLICY.

It is the sellers responsibility to ensure that Ebay does NOT automatically resize the photo so that it remains within the new photo guidelines.

Ebay at it's best !

Please use plain text.