eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Accepted Solution
risk"s of giving out paypal email

what are the risk's for me as a seller and someone want's my paypal account to make the transaction for the item listed? I guess the best way to put this is how can i get burned by this? The item i'm seeling is worth quite a bit of money.....

Accepted Solutions: 3
Community Member
Answered
in reply to 2110300x

Anything and everything you are selling needs to be done through ebay.  There is NO NEED to give out your email for any reason.

ALL messages, any purchase, EVERYTHING is done through ebay.  If they are requesting ANYTHING be done outside of that, then do NOT sell your item.  These scammers are around every corner, ESPECIALLY with high ticket items.

Anything done outside of ebay, you will lose any and all ebay seller protection...........

You list the item, they buy the item THROUGH ebay!!!!!!!!

pi_r_square
Community Member
Answered
in reply to 2110300x

The buyer does not need your PayPal email.

They can easily pay from the auction page, or the notice eBay sent them.

Scammers frequently ask for PayPal email addys, so they can send a PHONY "message from PayPal" stating the item was paid, and giving the seller instructions to ship.

Remember:

1.  ALWAYS wait for payment in your PAyPAl account.

2.  Ship ONLY to the address provided by PayPal.

Please return to your question soon, and click "Accept as Solution" for any helpful answers, from any responder. If you were asked for clarification, please add your comments very quickly -- otherwise the responders may be unable to give further help
house*of*paws
Community Member
Answered
in reply to 2110300x

Hi

Buyers just need to click on the Pay Now button to pay for their purchase.  They have no need for any of your personal information whatsoever.

Tell buyer that.  If buyer still insists on getting additional information ... you can be pretty sure they are a scammer.

Other Answers: 2
bellecielle
Community Member
Answered
in reply to 2110300x

You have received great advice.  Just want to add that as a very low feedback seller selling expensive items, you are a scammer magnet.  Every scammer from here to Nigeria will be trying to take advantage of you.  Only reason someone would need your PayPal e-mail is to send a fake message stating your PayPal has been paid and it is okay to ship the item.  Please be careful and only ship when you log in to your PayPal account and it says you have been paid and it is okay to ship.

Good Luck!!

silverstrad
Community Member
Answered
in reply to 2110300x

Legitimate buyers do not need your PayPal address.

They can pay you from the listing or the end of auction notice.

Scammers, however, do need your PayPal address so that they can send you fake eBay/PayPal emails urging you to ship before you realize that you have not been paid..

Never ever ship an item unless you have checked your PayPal account to see if the money is there.. And you need to ship to the PayPal address, when it says "OK to ship"there.