eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • StubHub

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Accepted Solution
local pick up

ok so now that I sold the item and he is coming in a few days to pick it up. I was wondering how paypal works because of the dire mesage sent when paypal received the payment, that I have to wait up to 7 days (others here said more) to actually get the payment.  Now I read in here that just getting them to sign a receipt of purchase at pick up wont be acceptable to paypal or ebay.

I still have time to correct this. Please advise details of any other info I need to protect myself in this sale. I can tell him cash at time of purchase. Which he can now refuse since I sold it as paypal payment? Do I refund the money when he gets here or before? How long does it take Paypal to reverse his payment?

yes I am nieve' but dont want to be sccammed.

Accepted Solutions: 3
trinitybball23
Community Member
Answered
in reply to schug5324

You can refund the buyer's money & ask that he pay cash at pick up.  Let him know asap in case he needs to transfer the money from Paypal to his bank. 

But don't refund until you talk to them in case they want to leave it as is.  Since the item is only a couple hundred dollars & not thousands, you may want to leave as is.  I don't think you'll have a problem, but you never know.  Your buyer's FB is 113, so he's not a newby just coming on here to scam someone.  Read some of his FB comments & you can get an idea if he seems responsible or not. 

Since buyers cannot get negative FB, some of the other posters will say FB doesn't mean anything, but I disagree.  If a buyer has over 100 glowing FB's, that should say something.

=^^= Save a stray today.
trinitybball23
Community Member
Answered
in reply to schug5324

Yes, you can refund them without cancelling the sale.  But make sure to let them know what you're doing, so they don't mistake it as you cancelling the sale.

=^^= Save a stray today.
grandpatexhelp
Community Member
Answered
in reply to schug5324

I thought it was pretty well explained in the last thread.

With local pickup, you ask for cash.

What the others meant by cash is this:

Cash.

Certified cashiers check from a bank or credit union.

Money order, preferably a USPS money order from the post office.

An approved credit application from a financial institution, for instance if you are financing a vehicle.

A personal check (highly not recommended.)

No PayPal, unless it's only for the deposit.

PayPal requires on line proof of delivery. Besides that, they charge a fee. And, the transaction limit is $10,000.

Answer center posts are no longer in chronological order,making it difficult to answer a question in a step by step fashion. If the thread doesn't make sense, click on the Most Kudos link, above, and select Newest First. Be sure to check for hidden comments to see if the OP has returned with valuable information that may affect the final outcome.
Other Answers: 6
nowibuystuff
Community Member
Answered
in reply to schug5324

Unless the item was listed as PickUp only

You will have no seller protection against the Buyer opening an INR claim , since you will have no DC showing the item was delivered

You could mail them a receipt with DC

OR

The easiest thing is just take Ca$H at the time they pick the item up

Delivery Confirmation is now called "Tracking"

BUT seems to still be Delivery Confirmation

Copy & Paste from USPS site >>

If you shipped with Express Mail®, you’ll get point-by-point tracking details. If you used another service—USPS Tracking™, Certified Mail™, Registered Mail™ —you’ll see when it went out for delivery.
october_paws
Community Member
Answered
in reply to schug5324

When your item is for pick up not mailing, you must set that way. So that buyer knows it's for a local pick up sale (cash pick up) then Paypal will not involve of payment of any kind.

trinitybball23
Community Member
Answered
in reply to schug5324

Sellers DO have a choice.  They can leave NO FB.  Why on earth would I leave a positive "glowing" FB, when the buyer didn't pay or was a pain in the neck?  I can't leave a neg. so I leave nothing.

100 people saying good things is not because they had no choice.  Words like good transaction, fast payment, great customer, etc. etc. is not put their because the seller had no other choice.

And even though it's a violation, we see it all the time, when sellers leave false positives.  You can also check their FB left for others, which can give you insight to what type of buyer they are.

=^^= Save a stray today.
buyorsell888
Community Member
Answered
in reply to schug5324

Buyer feedback is completely meaningless.

Sellers have no choice but to leave glowing buyer feedback.

Never rely on eBay nor emails for accurate payment information.

Login to PayPal!
schug5324
Community Member
Answered
in reply to schug5324

Thank you all for your replies! :-D

I had it listed as paypal and local pick up. I sent an email requesting COD instead. Awaiting reply. I want to be sure I am clear we can cancel the paypal portion of the offer without canceling the ebay sale correct?

I specified no return, inspection at time of sale. I just don't want any problems for either of us.

buyorsell888
Community Member
Answered
in reply to schug5324

Cash means cash, not cashier's checks or money orders.

PayPal will not accept a signed receipt for proof of delivery. They require online viewable proof from a shipper.

Even if notarized buyer signature on a piece of paper is worthless.

Vehicles and other large items being picked up should never be paid with PayPal.

Never rely on eBay nor emails for accurate payment information.

Login to PayPal!