eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

buyers asking me for my paypal infomation

Hi there, I am VERY new to selling stuff on ebay.  The first sale went off fairly easily.  the buyer had paypal, the money was sent to paypal and sent to me no problems. 

I have put another item up for sale and the person who bought it is asking me for my paypal information.  I am a little concerned with that as this is linked to my bank account. 

It is my understanding that they should just be paying pay pal and then pay pal pays me..... am I missing something here?  Please help :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
sosdifferentday
Community Member

Re: buyers asking me for my paypal infomation

in reply to dakkota33

Just send him a paypal invoice....

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dakkota33

The only thing a buyer needs is your email address to send a payment. What is the buyer asking for? Buyer just needs to hit the pay now button. If it's for the ipod, he may be trying to scam you since you are a new seller.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dakkota33

Most often a "buyer" wants your PayPal email address so they can send you a "phony" You've been paid message. Typically, it will provide a "handy link" to click here and enter the tracking.  Never rely on emails for this information. Always log into your PayPal  account via the URL or trusted bookmark AND NEVER THOROUGH A LINK IN AN EMAIL. You click on those links, and your problems only just begin.  If you provide your log in information via one of those links, know that you will be "buying" all sorts of stuff you had no idea about in the first place. If your PayPal and ebay passwords are similar, expect your ID to be selling the latest electronics in a short period of time.

As a newbie you are ripe pickings for any and all scams out there.  Be glad you asked so you can be on alert.

Please use plain text.