eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Accepted Solution
Unclaimed PayPal payment

I purchased something on 1-11-12 and paid via PayPal. It comes up on the seller's end as unclaimed and that they are not registered. I contacted both EBAY and PayPay. PayPal told me that the seller needed to call in to verify his e-mail address and he could claim the awaiting payment. I let him know about this but he refuses to contact them saying that he has no PayPal issues. He wants me to cancel the transaction. I was advised not to cancel the transaction so how can I handle this from here?

Accepted Solution
buyorsell888
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tray1214

You cannot file an item not received case because all you have to do to get your money back is to login to PayPal and cancel the payment.

The seller has not been paid, there is no way to force him to refund you the money that he does not have.

As already advised, the email address on the listing is incorrect, he probably listed using a mobile device and made a typo. He sees no record of the payment in his PayPal account and most likely can't claim the payment.

You should agree to the Mutual Cancellation.

You cannot pay his correct email address and retain Buyer Protection Policy coverage. It will be voided because you aren't paying the email on the listing.

You don't want to complete the transaction without it, do you?

Cancel your payment, Agree to the cancellation and find a seller that has a clue.

Never rely on eBay nor emails for accurate payment information.

Login to PayPal!
Other Answers: 7
gosimus
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tray1214

What I would do is file an Item Not Received case, and let eBay strong arm the seller.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/item-not-received.html

buckeye82cat
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tray1214

The Seller typed their email address wrong while they were making their listing under the payment option.

The Seller can check this by going to the item you bought and hit the "Relist" option... Then the Seller can review what /Email address they typed in... most likely made a typing error.

I would take the advive as above given ...open a case as "item not received" and you should get refunded by paypal.

do not let 45 days go by...you loose your buyer protection

ruths_dream
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tray1214

Hi who advised you not to cancell the transaction?

tell that buyer you paid and your waiting on your item .

Life Is A One Time Offer,
Use It Well.
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tray1214

Thanks for the responses. When I go to Item Not Received it says that the seller hasn't marked the item paid and I can't file a case. Is there somewhere else I can do this?

The seller has since sent me another message asking me to cancel the transaction but I don't really want to do that.

Thanks for your help.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to tray1214

I am having this same issue as the seller though. I haven't changed my paypal and have made purchases in the past (just recently) with no troubles. But as of right now have a buyer who sent payment to a typo (this happens).

Go to your paypal account and cancel the unclaimed transaction. If the seller is willing they then can and will relist a private listing for you for the price you've paid and correct the problem with the misspellings.

lacemaker3
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tray1214

OK -- the seller says he "has no PayPal issues" but your payment is unclaimed. That means that the email address on the listing, which your payment was sent to, is not registered on PayPal.

That is probably what PayPal was trying to tell you. If this is the case, you (the buyer) can't fix it. The seller has to recognize the problem and take action (preferably, add the email address you paid to his PayPal account).

If the seller won't recognize the problem, and take care of it, then don't cancel the transaciton. Just file an Item Not Received dispute as soon as possible (which will be just after the last expected delivery date). Then let eBay handle it -- you need to follow the case in the Resolution Center, and respond promptly if needed.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to tray1214

I had this happen, too. 

The seller user the "other" email address by mistake and PayPal, of course, did not recognize the email that was not associated with the seller's PayPal account.

It to me (the buyer) that me payment was "unclaimed."

Seller had to fix it. But it was evidently not hard.