eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

califdreamin2013
Community Member

PAYPAL REQUESTING SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER

Paypal is requesting my social security number and I don't feel comfortable giving out that info.  Does anyone have any experience with EIN number which they would accept?  I can't accept payment now from my buyers and it is very frustrating for me.  Would appreciate some comments.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: PAYPAL REQUESTING SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER

in reply to califdreamin2013

An EIN is an Employer Identification Number which is issued by the state where your official business address is located. Find the portal website to your states general information, tax information, etc. Type EIN into the search box, you may find information you need so you can apply, and a phone number you can call for questions. If you can't find it that way, open a new browser window, type the name of your state with Employer Identification Number behind it. You may find a bunch of useless websites before you get to the one you need. You may be able to apply over the internet; if not, you may be able to print the application form to mail in. The sooner you get started, the sooner you will have this solved. I wouldn't give my social security number to PayPal myself, just on general principles. Good luck.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

general principles....LOL

Please use plain text.
sparkstert
Community Member

EIN is a TIN for businesses. It is issued by the IRS. Although you can get it immediately, if Paypal attempts to ID match, you may not be in the database. Address the update to the database before providing, as I believe they limit you immediately if you are kicked out. If Paypal just began asking for the TIN, you have some time. Get the EIN, then wait to provide.

Good luck.

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Apply-for-an-Employer-Identification-...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Guys, guys, guys. Stop all of this, Just think of Paypal as your safe deposit box for all your personal information. Its okay.

Please use plain text.
gporpc
Community Member

Guys, guys, guys. Stop all of this, Just think of Paypal as your safe deposit box for all your personal information. Its okay.

Nonsense !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
tek_wyzrd
Community Member

They have no right to demand your SSN. PayPal is not a bank, it is a money transfer agent. Would you give your SSN to Western Union? They are demanding unnecessary personal information from ALL users in the U.S. I had them demand a copy of a utility bill, my SSN, copy of my social security card, and copy of my photo id. They claim it is for identity verification. In that case my driver's license number should be sufficient. Then they claim it is for tax purposes. I've never sold anything on ebay or received any kind of payment since I opened the account ten years ago. Then they claim it is due to changes to the patriot act. Don't believe it. They will not insure security of your personal information and if you do a search you will find many cases where individuals who faxed the information experienced identity theft. I find it disturbing that a U.S. based company is demanding sensitive personal information from U.S. citizens that facilitates identity theft with more lax standards for the rest of the world.

Additionally, if they implement their planned expansion of mandatory immediate payment you will be asked for a one-time authorization to allow them direct access to your funding source and will automatically pay for auctions. I don't know if it will be a clause in the user agreement that will automatically take effect if you continue using ebay or if it will require explicit approval but it is coming. Beware - eBay and PayPal are NOT your friend.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

They have no right to demand your SSN. PayPal is not a bank, it is a money transfer agent. Would you give your SSN to Western Union? They are demanding unnecessary personal information from ALL users in the U.S. I had them demand a copy of a utility bill, my SSN, copy of my social security card, and copy of my photo id. They claim it is for identity verification. In that case my driver's license number should be sufficient. Then they claim it is for tax purposes. I've never sold anything on ebay or received any kind of payment since I opened the account ten years ago. Then they claim it is due to changes to the patriot act. Don't believe it. They will not insure security of your personal information and if you do a search you will find many cases where individuals who faxed the information experienced identity theft. I find it disturbing that a U.S. based company is demanding sensitive personal information from U.S. citizens that facilitates identity theft with more lax standards for the rest of the world.

Additionally, if they implement their planned expansion of mandatory immediate payment you will be asked for a one-time authorization to allow them direct access to your funding source and will automatically pay for auctions. I don't know if it will be a clause in the user agreement that will automatically take effect if you continue using ebay or if it will require explicit approval but it is coming. Beware - eBay and PayPal are NOT your friend.

Actually, the government mandates that they need to issue a 1099-K for sales over $20K or 200 items, so yeah, they do have a "right" to it.

I'm assuming the OP may have crossed the 200 item threshold, or is close to it. They WILL accept an EIN.

Renegade SOLIDARNOSC
Please use plain text.
gporpc
Community Member

RE:

They have no right to demand your SSN. PayPal is not a bank, it is a money transfer agent.

And you are basing that on?

Please use plain text.
sosdifferentday
Community Member

Googled ,is paypal a bank? and found this...The Facts

In the United States, a bank is a financial institution, licensed by the government and providing specialized financial services to its customers.

Bank Regulation

A bank agrees to regulation by an industry-specific body of U.S. law, covering fraud, credit, liens, contracts, banknote issuance, privacy and other issues.

MerchantServices.ResourceNation.com PayPal

In a June 2007 BusinessWeek article, Catherine Holahan explained that PayPal isn't a bank because it depends on other financial institutions such as GE Consumer Finance to provide many of its services. In a 2002 advisory letter, the FDIC said that as long as PayPal doesn't accept direct deposits, it won't be regulated as a U.S. bank. In Europe, however, PayPal does have a banking license.

Other Differences

Per its User Agreement, PayPal doesn't run credit checks for new

Please use plain text.
sosdifferentday
Community Member

gporpc...do you view paypal as a bank or as a money transfer agent?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

PayPal is not a bank

Who has led you to believe that only banks can ask for a SSN?

Please use plain text.
gporpc
Community Member

PayPal is not a bank

RE:

Exactly, any new Doctor wants it.

A new credit app asks for it.

In both those cases it is freely given.

Please use plain text.
gporpc
Community Member

gporpc...do you view paypal as a bank or as a money transfer agent?

PP is not a bank.

Please use plain text.
gporpc
Community Member

Googled ,is paypal a bank? and found this...The Facts

In the United States, a bank is a financial institution, licensed by the government and providing specialized financial services to its customers.

Bank Regulation

A bank agrees to regulation by an industry-specific body of U.S. law, covering fraud, credit, liens, contracts, banknote issuance, privacy and other issues.

MerchantServices.ResourceNation.com PayPal

In a June 2007 BusinessWeek article, Catherine Holahan explained that PayPal isn't a bank because it depends on other financial institutions such as GE Consumer Finance to provide many of its services. In a 2002 advisory letter, the FDIC said that as long as PayPal doesn't accept direct deposits, it won't be regulated as a U.S. bank. In Europe, however, PayPal does have a banking license.

Other Differences

Per its User Agreement, PayPal doesn't run credit checks for new

And the assertion  is?

Please use plain text.
bubbasgirl28
Community Member

5 Places You Should Never Give Your Social Security Number

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-levin/identity-theft_b_2967679.html

Please use plain text.
bubbasgirl28
Community Member

A few years ago I went to the DMV and had my driver's license number changed because it was my social security number. So, no, don't give them your social security number and read the above link. Also, don't give them access to your bank account.

I listen to Clark Howard and he had the same advice. I think that is why I changed my driver's license number. You don't need to make it any easier for the identity thieves than it already is.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

So, no, don't give them your social security number

Unless you wish to continue to use paypal of course.;-)

The bitter few who hate paypal will of course try to "scare" you.

Please use plain text.
gporpc
Community Member

A few years ago I went to the DMV and had my driver's license number changed because it was my social security number. So, no, don't give them your social security number and read the above link. Also, don't give them access to your bank account.

I listen to Clark Howard and he had the same advice. I think that is why I changed my driver's license number. You don't need to make it any easier for the identity thieves than it already is.

If you listen to Clarke Howard,

for  many things he knows little of the real world workings of the things he dunns...

PP is one of them.

Please use plain text.
sandypurins
Community Member

5 Places You Should Never Give Your Social Security Number

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-levin/identity-theft_b_2967679.html

The 5 places in that article are...

1.  Anyone who calls or sends you an official-looking email, who texts you a link to any site or designates a number to call where you are asked to confirm your SSN.
2.  Public schools.
3.  Little League, summer camp and the like.
4.  Supermarkets.
5.  Anybody who approaches you on the street.

:smileysurprised:

Please use plain text.