eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Accepted Solution
Is it safe to give out my Paypal email ID to my buyer so they can pay with a different paypal ID?

So I recently sold a camera via ebay. I had dealt with a scammer a few months back trying to get my paypal info (they did buy it now, gave me more money, wanted it shipped to Nigeria, etc.).

I finally re-posted and someone won the camera by an  honest bid. Very excited, I then failed to hear from the buyer for 5 days, until now, when they are saying to give them my paypal email ID so they can pay with a different account than the one linked through ebay (I already sent an invoice through ebay).

Is this safe to do? Will ebay recognize the payment? Should I just request their alternate ID so I can send an invoice through Paypal to show record?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions: 5
mr_lees_deals
Community Member
Answered
in reply to daseeka

Just tell your buyer to use the pay now button and when the PayPal sign in page comes up, change the account and password and he will be able to pay with that account. And yes, eBay will recognize the payment. One does not have to pay with the PP account that is linked to his eBay account. I've paid for my wife's win from her eBay account with my PP account once or twice that way. no problem.

If he balks at that, then he may be trying a scam.

LC

“Every sale has five basic obstacles: no need, no money, no hurry, no desire, no trust.” Zig Ziglar
pinkflamingo2855
Community Member
Answered
in reply to daseeka

yikes, i missed that too, you've already waited 5 days, don't bother responding to them like i first advised, just go file the UPI, sorry you got hit again!----have you at least set your blocks? probably not since you are new....go to my ebay, hover over account, site preferences, buyer requirements, then check the boxes for buyers you want to block, there's one for buyers who have no paypal account, countries you don't ship to, buyers who have 2 strikes in a year, buyers with 4 violations in 6 months, at least that helps.....

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go"
Oscar Wilde
pinkflamingo2855
Community Member
Answered
in reply to daseeka

you are right to be concerned...this is a sign of a scammer.

is this safe to do?

no---you will get a fake email saying they've paid hoping you'd send the item before checking your paypal account.

Will ebay recognize the payment?

no---it won't be the email that's associated with the listing, UNLESS they have the other email on that same paypal account, which it isn't because they want to "pay" with another paypal account.

Should I just request their alternate ID so I can send an invoice through Paypal to show record?

no---you can't send a paypal invoice for ebay items anymore.

tell them to use the pay now link, as you cannot honor their request....when they don't pay in 4 days, file a UPI...i just looked at the sale price, yep, don't give them your email for payment...

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go"
Oscar Wilde
silverstrad
Community Member
Answered
in reply to daseeka

daseeka

Sorry that you have been hit by another scammer

Read all the great advice above.

And never give out  your PayPal email. Only scammers need it.

Legitimate buyers can pay through eBay.

Since you are a brand new seller, selling an expensive item,

you can expect the scammers to be hovering around.

You need to take steps to protect yourself.

Some steps you might take are

- never give your email address to any prospective buyer

- require immediate payment

- choose to ship to the United States only

- block bidders whose shipping addresses  are in countries to which you  do not ship

- block bidders who do not have PayPal

- ship only if there is payment showing in your PayPal account
- ship only to the address showing in PayPal
- never ever agree to sell ‘off-eBay’

also, you can go to your PayPal account and block payments from non-US accounts:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/customerprofileweb?cmd=_profile-pref

mrsmtn
Community Member
Answered
in reply to daseeka

No!  That's a very common scam!  That "buyer" has no intention of paying you.  After 4 days file an Unpaid Item dispute so you can at least get your final value fee back.

Other Answers: 4
johnsattic
Community Member
Answered
in reply to daseeka

Sorry to hear you squashed one bug only to get bitten by another, all this person wants is to rip you off.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler, A. Einstein
daseeka
Community Member
Answered
in reply to daseeka

thank you everyone for your great advice and caution. I was not expecting so many immediate and thorough answers so I'm so glad I took the "time" to ask!

I will reply back saying that if they wish to pay with a separate ID to use the Pay Now button and login, however, I won't supply them with my email.

If he/she/it doesn't pay by the end of the day I will file my Unpaid Item claim tonight, although it has already been 5 days (I will give them the benefit of the doubt although all evidence leads to a scam).

Thank you again for all of the tips, really cleared things up. I had a feeling my novice ranking on eBay would attract scammers but I didn't think it would be like this.

Cheers to you all, science bless you

mrsmtn
Community Member
Answered
in reply to daseeka

I just reread -- file the Unpaid Item dispute NOW.

mrsmtn
Community Member
Answered
in reply to daseeka

With zero feedback I strongly recommend that you NOT relist that camera until you have more feedback and will not be such a scam magnet.  Buy some stuff or sell a few items from around the house.