eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Accepted Solution
If i link my bank account to my paypal account then my paypal balance will no longer be my default payment method?

Right now i have my debit card linked to my paypal account, but in order to be verified i must link my checking account instead.  But it's telling me if i do that, my checking acct will become my default pymnt method for most things.  Is this correct?  I want my paypal balance to be my default pymnt method!  I'm confused.  Can't i do both?

Accepted Solutions: 3
22shoes
Community Member
Answered
in reply to bluemoon102

Paypal will always want to use your account balance first.

If your account balance is not enough to cover the complete payment...

1. they will use the balance first, then pull the remainder from your bank account as an Instant Payment (assuming that you also have a credit or debit card attached to your Paypal account).

2. if you prefer that they pull the remainder from a credit or debit card, you will need to use the change funding source link that appears on the first page after you log in to your Paypal account during checkout & select your cc or dc.

3. if you only have a bank account attached to your Paypal account (no debit or credit card), any bank funded payment will go as en echeck.  Paypal will NOT split a payment between account balance & echeck.  In this instance, Paypal will fund the entire payment by echeck.  Be aware of this so you don't end up with an unexpected bank overdraft.

stormwatch60
Community Member
Answered
in reply to bluemoon102

The other form of payment is a backup. The funds are removed from the paypal account unless there is not enough to cover the cost of the purchase then the backup is used automatically.

pi_r_square
Community Member
Answered
in reply to bluemoon102

I want my paypal balance to be my default pymnt method!

Your PayPal balance WILL be the default payment method, as long as you have a PayPal balance.

If your PP balance is insufficient to pay for items, then PP will automatically bill your bank account unless you manually choose another payment method.

If you use your bank account and the payment doesn't go through, PayPal will try (in order) your PayPal credit account (if applicable), your debit card, and your credit card.

If you do not want to use your bank account, you must click Change or More Funding Options, and choose one of the other sources.

Click on Comment to reply, and let us know if that is or is not understandable.

Please return to your question soon, and click "Accept as Solution" for any helpful answers, from any responder. If you were asked for clarification, please add your comments very quickly -- otherwise the responders may be unable to give further help
Other Answers: 3
kraloe
Community Member
Answered
in reply to bluemoon102

It's not instead--it's in addition.

Yes, your checking account will be the default payment method, unless you have a PayPal balance. That will always be used first. If no balance, your checking aaccount will come up as the payment method. But you can change that to your debit card manually each time you pay, if you want.

buyorsell888
Community Member
Answered
in reply to bluemoon102

They mean over a credit card.

They default to balance and then bank account and make you jump through several hoops to pay with a credit card. Which you should do since it is a lot safer.

Never rely on eBay nor emails for accurate payment information.

Login to PayPal!
bluemoon102
Community Member
Answered
in reply to bluemoon102

Thanks guys!  That's what I thought, until paypal actually said that my checking acct would then become my default payment method.  I took that literally. Maybe i'm dense, but i would have understood better if they'd said "default payment method when there is no paypal balance.