eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
How long does the buyer have to respond to an escalated dispute?

I recently sold a macbook pro on here and the computer worked fine when i sold it. The buyer opened a dispute against me because he claims that it didnt work after 2 days of usage. He left me feedback and told me it was a perfectly good running computer the day before. I later escalated the case providing evidence of this and am just curious whether or not i will win the case and also, because i escalated the case and provide evidence how long does the buyer have to respond and what happens if he does not repsond within the time frame?

Other Answers: 4
mrsmtn
Community Member
Answered
in reply to kayz15

You escalated it?  No, you will not win it.

centerhill73
Community Member
Answered
in reply to kayz15

I should have mentioned the time allowed for a reply...it's 10 days, but ebay only seems to enforce that time limit on answers by sellers. They will give buyers more time...and we can't really tell you what that is as I have personally seen an 18 day answer that was accepted.

centerhill73
Community Member
Answered
in reply to kayz15

Sellers should NEVER escalate a case filed by a buyer. What could you hope to have happen? First, realize that buyers win over 99% of all cases. Ebay bots decide most cases anyway...and feedback is not allowed to be used as evidence of anything or to defend anything.

Did you offer any return policy at all? If there was anything except "no returns" on the listing, you have to allow a return for any problem at all within the time frame of the return policy...even buyers remorse...and the buyer has a full 45 days of buyer protection for any "not as described" case. period.

If you hadn't escalated the case, you would have had a decent chance to work it out with the buyer...now your ONLY chance is if they fail to answer. Just hope that the buyer doesn't damage the unit prior to the return so yopu can sell it again if it is still workable.

Do you realize that escalated cases are counted against your seller account? A couple of escalated cases will lock you out of your ability to sell; as new as your account is.

ritacummins
Community Member
Answered
in reply to kayz15

Foolish of you to escalate the case.   Now it counts against your record.   You will be told that you must refund the buyer in full as soon as you get the 'puter back.

You should have told the buyer to return for a refund in the first place, and then he would not have had to open a case against you.