eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
Community Member
Accepted Solution
How long does it take to clear an eCheck?

Hi, I am a buyer and I bought an item worth $218.99 from an ebay top rated seller on July 15, 2012. I used an eCheck to pay for it. On my paypal account it says that it was already cleared and was deposited into the recipient's account on Jul 19, 2012. But if I check it on ebay, it still says that Your Jul-15-12 payment is being processed through PayPal. I've contacted the seller and they said that the payment is still not cleared. Does it take another 3 clearing days after the seller recieve the payment?

Accepted Solutions: 2
trinitybball23
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pa3k.minosa

Depending on location, it takes a few days to a few weeks.  Paypal & the bank are usually on different times as far as showing cleared.  When I transfer money from Paypal to my bank, it shows done in Paypal, but doesn't show up at my bank for another day.  So if your echeck is showing cleared to you, it will probably be cleared to them tomorrow.

If the seller puts you off longer than that, you can call Paypal & ask what they show.

=^^= Save a stray today.
maneki-neko-nook
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pa3k.minosa

pretty much, yes....the buyer has a screen on eBay that tells them when its cleared.  They are not supposed to ship until it shows cleared.  So it may have cleared your account, but not his.. 

I haven't had my coffee yet, so forgive my typing....The only question you may regret is the one you never asked!
Other Answers: 6
buyorsell888
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pa3k.minosa

Login to PayPal.

Does it show the status of the payment as Completed?

If so, the seller needs to ship NOW

My eBay is often out of sync with PayPal and doesn't update on time

No seller should ever rely on it for accurate payment information. The seller should be logging on to PayPal.  Sometimes My eBay doesn't update at all....

IF your PayPal shows Completed then HIS PayPal shows Completed and he must ship now.

Please come back here if your PayPal account shows the payment as Unclaimed. That means it cleared but that the seller has a problem with their account/listing and doens't have the payment yet.

Never rely on eBay nor emails for accurate payment information.

Login to PayPal!
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pa3k.minosa

Actually my ebay now shows that it is already paid and it will be delivered on 24. maybe it was just a glitch or something that delayed the payment confirmation on ebay.

22shoes
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pa3k.minosa

so does that mean that it be cleared on my paypal account but it hasnt been cleared on the seller's account?

No.

When an echeck payment appears as cleared in the buyer's Paypal account, it should also show as cleared in the seller's Paypal account.

But if I check it on ebay, it still says that Your Jul-15-12 payment is being processed through PayPal.

eBay may be glitchy & slow to update. 

Ask your seller to look in their Paypal account to verify payment status.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to pa3k.minosa

so does that mean that it be cleared on my paypal account but it hasnt been cleared on the seller's account?

buyorsell888
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pa3k.minosa

The point I was trying to get across, as were several others is that what your My eBay page shows is not relevant. It is not always correct.

PayPal is where both buyers and sellers should be looking for accurate payment information.

PayPal can show eChecks as being completed hours or even days before eBay does.

eBay shows the exact same message and icon for eChecks as it does for several seller account/listing problems so sellers should never assume "payment processing on PayPal" means an eCheck, they should be logging on to PayPal and looking.....

Never rely on eBay nor emails for accurate payment information.

Login to PayPal!
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pa3k.minosa

From my experience, it can sometimes take 10 days to clear the bank.  Typically, it is faster, but on occasions, this has been my experience.