eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Buyer needing paypal email address to send money?

I sold a item outside of using ebay, and in order for the buyer to pay me he I need to give him my paypal email address. I have never did it this way before so is it safe to do? I mean once I see the money is put in my account it would seem that everything should be okay.

Not sure if a lot of people are just paranoid, but I googled and a lot of people say never to do this. What do you think?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Buyer needing paypal email address to send money?

in reply to imssjen

What are you selling?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to imssjen

There are a couple of companies that function on behalf of international buyers and provide payment for them as well. They will need your paypal email address in order to remit payment for the item.

The rest are simply scammers who wish to send you a "fake" email saying you have been paid. Typically, they state that the money is being held until you "click here" and enter the tracking number.  This age old scam has new success due to PayPal payment holds. Do not fall for it.

Learn to know a fake email from an actual payment by logging into your PayPal account directly from your own URL or bookmark....NEVER USE AN EMAIL LINK.  I never even review those emails at all. Go into my email client and delete everything once a month.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to imssjen

It is a Mego Incredible Hulk doll. Buyer is paying 30 dollars including shipping.

Please use plain text.
sandypurins
Community Member

in reply to imssjen

The buyer needs your PayPal email address, a PayPal invoice or a checkout procedure similar to eBay checkout.

Please use plain text.
gemgalaxy56
Community Member

in reply to imssjen

Not a good idea to be advertising you sold an item that was listed on Ebay, outside of Ebay. Good way to get suspended...and reported.

Please use plain text.
babylove80jr
Community Member

in reply to imssjen

If you sold the item outside of ebay, how else were you expecting to be paid?

Please use plain text.
gemgalaxy56
Community Member

in reply to imssjen

"Offers to buy or sell outside of eBay are a potential fraud risk for both buyers and sellers, and are not protected by eBay protection programs. Additionally, these offers may be an attempt to avoid eBay fees. This is unfair to other sellers and violates our policies."

Policy overview

We don't allow our members to use eBay to contact each other to make offers to buy or sell items outside of eBay. Also, members can't use information obtained from eBay to contact each other about buying or selling outside of eBay.

If you receive an offer to buy or sell outside eBay, please report it.

Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don't, you may be subject to a range of actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.

What are the guidelines?

Allowed

• Sellers can end a listing early in order to sell an item at the current bid price to the high bidder.

• Bidders can ask sellers to end a listing early and sell at the current bid price, but sellers don't have to honor the request.

Not allowed

Some examples of activities that aren't allowed include:

• Using member contact information obtained from eBay or using any eBay system to offer to sell any listed item outside of eBay

• Canceling a listing to sell to a buyer who found the item on eBay

• Ending a listing early to sell the item to the winning bidder a price higher than the current bid

• Including contact information or an offer to buy or sell an item outside of eBay within a Best Offer

• Offering to sell an item to a non-winning bidder without using Second Chance Offer

Please use plain text.
gporpc
Community Member

in reply to imssjen

There are a couple of companies that function on behalf of international buyers and provide payment for them as well. They will need your paypal email address in order to remit payment for the item.

The rest are simply scammers who wish to send you a "fake" email saying you have been paid. Typically, they state that the money is being held until you "click here" and enter the tracking number.  This age old scam has new success due to PayPal payment holds. Do not fall for it.

Learn to know a fake email from an actual payment by logging into your PayPal account directly from your own URL or bookmark....NEVER USE AN EMAIL LINK.  I never even review those emails at all. Go into my email client and delete everything once a month.

RE:

The rest are simply scammers who wish to send you a "fake" email saying you have been paid.

What kind of sellerr ships from an eMail notice?

Please use plain text.
gporpc
Community Member

in reply to imssjen

Non eBay sales can be great.

What the seller needs to note is if the payment is marked

SELLER PROTECTION

and to send it to the PP provided address.

Please use plain text.
kalhalava
Community Member

in reply to imssjen

Well, once the auction ends on eBay with no bids, I believe it's not written in the US Constitution that the sale cannot be made outside eBay.  eBay needs to be taken down a peg in my opinion, they are way too out of line in upping their "requirements" of seller and requiring nothing of buyers.  Yes, buyers are their bread and butter, but, without sellers, what will buyers buy?

Please use plain text.
kalhalava
Community Member

in reply to imssjen

Do it, perhaps when enough sellers find other outlets to sell, eBay might decide to offer us some real protection and stop punishing sellers for bidders who make false claims and leave false feedback.  I've found Facebook and other outlets let me sell my items without having to pay high eBay fees. 

Please use plain text.
kalhalava
Community Member

in reply to imssjen

You must work for eBay, no concern for sellers.

Please use plain text.
babylove80jr
Community Member

in reply to imssjen

It's completely your prerogative to sell off ebay, but you should have at least some sort of plan as far as how you're going to receive payments if you do.

If they pay through PP, you still will be giving them a cut.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to imssjen

Plenty of people sell items outside of eBay in this manner, via other venues, without ever listing them on eBay.  I do so myself from time to time.  It's certainly safe as long as you follow the rules.  

Where you could get into trouble is if you had three of the same item, listed one on eBay and offered another on a collector site, and sold the latter with Paypal payment with the item name in the subject line.   

Please use plain text.
gporpc
Community Member

in reply to imssjen

Plenty of people sell items outside of eBay in this manner, via other venues, without ever listing them on eBay.  I do so myself from time to time.  It's certainly safe as long as you follow the rules.  

Where you could get into trouble is if you had three of the same item, listed one on eBay and offered another on a collector site, and sold the latter with Paypal payment with the item name in the subject line.   

RE:

How so?"

Please use plain text.