eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
why is it that ebay insists that buyers must pay within four days, but sellers do not have to ship within four days?

why is it tht ebay insists buyers pay within four days, but sellers do not have to ship within four days???

Other Answers: 6
fossil_diver
Community Member
Answered
in reply to stevendebbie2011

A seller can open a UPI case after 4 days but buyers have up to 8 days to pay before a strike can be put on their account. Shipping times vary from seller to seller. If you don't like the their terms then find another seller.

craneclimber1
Community Member
Answered

why is it?

hmmm...could it be that ebay, in its infinite wisdom, decided to make that policy?

although ebay does give sellers incentive to ship sooner.

johnsattic
Community Member
Answered

eBay does not insist buyers pay within four days, the seller may seek or may not seek eBay assistance in collecting after a minimum period of 4 days. When this happens the buyer is granted another 4 days to make payment, so that is a total of 8 days minimum.

If you went to walmart.com, amazon.com, bestbuy.com or any other internet retailer you would be expected to pay before the order was processed, would you not?

Many sellers believe eBay is way too generous in giving the buyer a minimum of 4 days to pay, no other internet sales site does that I am aware of.

Now, as to shipping process time.

Just as eBay does not control how long the seller will give a buyer to pay other than the 4 day minimum, eBay does not control how long the seller will take to ship.

They do require the seller to indicate the maximum length of time they will take to ship in every listing, so if a seller has an extended time the buyer will be aware of it if they actually read the listing. In addition eBay dangles a carrot in front of the sellers, offering them a substantial discount on their fees if they will set the prep time to one day along with a few other service requirements.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler, A. Einstein
buyorsell888
Community Member
Answered

If buyers are bidding or watching other listings they should send the seller a quick note to let them know that is why they haven't paid for their first item.

You don't want them to pay as they go for combined shipments...

Never rely on eBay nor emails for accurate payment information.

Login to PayPal!
Community Member
Answered

Actually Sellers have to ship within 7 days or lose their Seller Protection while Buyers have 8 days to pay before they can receive a strike...

auntella
Community Member
Answered

Buyers don't have to pay within the first four days. That is really up to the seller and most of them like the idea. If a buyer does not pay in 4 days, the seller can file a UPI case against them. Then the buyer has 4 days to pay. It is up to the seller whether they want to file a UPI case against the buyer at that time. I don't do it.

But, now ebay has set up a feature the sellers can use to automatically file a UPI in 4 days. I don't use it. A lot of new bidders plan on paying but just don't do it quickly and don't realize the consequences of not paying in 4 days.

I had a buyer who bought an item and did not pay. They had 0 FB when they bid. I messaged them and ask if they intended to pay for the item. They said yes, but they had bids on two other items I had listed and were waiting to see if they won them.

I told them ebay policy about paying in 4 days and the consequences of getting strikes on their account. I told them I would wait, but they promptly paid for the item.