eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
Community Member
void shipping label

I sold an item on ebay and used click and ship to buy the postage. That was on may 30th but I printed the label so that it could be mailed on the 31st. On may 30, around 6 PM, I put the package in a blue mailbox. However, when I got home, I received an email from paypal saying not to ship the item so I voided the shipping label. The shipping label had been inside the blue mailbox and had not been scanned as yet when I voided it. What happens now? will the package be void and sent back to 
me along with a refund 14 days later? or will the package still be 
mailed? i have the tracking number but the information for it was not updated online. 

Other Answers: 9
Community Member
Answered
in reply to prettynikki96

But - you already shipped the item - didn't you say the package is in a mailbox?

You can't void the label its already shipped.

Voiding doesn't cause the package to jump back out of the mailbox and back into your hands.

So... sometime in the next few weeks the USPS will deny the void credit.

Upper right corner on this page, click 'customer support'. Type your question into the input box, and click the 'search' button.

This will answer 99% of all questions posted on this board.
Community Member
Answered

Voiding does not cause a shipper to not ship, nor does it cause the item to be returned to you.  It simply invalidates the label.  Once an item has been dropped in the box, it is shipped and you should not void the label.    Now you need to wait and see what the shipper does with it.

Upper right corner on this page, click 'customer support'. Type your question into the input box, and click the 'search' button.

This will answer 99% of all questions posted on this board.
Community Member
Answered

Somewhere along the way the system will detect an invalid label.  Eventually it should be delivered back to you with postage due, you still need to pay for postage, even if it is to you.  It may take awhile to get returned to you, depending on where it gets scanned and caught.

Community Member
Answered

It had not been scanned.

I voided it so that USPS would not ship it.

centerhill73
Community Member
Answered

Wow..

You just pretty much violated every rule.

You voided the label for a package that was already shipped. That stops all tracking, so you can no longer prove that you even shipped it. Paypal has told you no to ship (why, because the payment was declined? Or maybe payment had not yet been made?).

Voided labels will not track. USPS will see that the label was voided, so MAYBE it will be returned to you...but IF that happens you will be forced to pay for the shipping again...and probably will be forced to pay the original fee also, because you actually DID mail the package. You may lose your ability to purchase postage online because you voided a label that was actually used.

If it is delivered to the addressee, you will be forced to pay the original shipping fee to the USPS, and will probably never get paid for the sale.

Good luck with this one. I don't envy you.

lacemaker3
Community Member
Answered

You can't void a label once it is in the post office's hands. As soon as they scan the label, it will be "un-voided" as it were.

This is why they don't refund you immediately when you void a label. They wait up to 21 days before they refund you, just in case the label actually gets into their system. If it gets into their system, then they are required to deliver it to the shipping address.

If you had tried immediately you might have been able to recall the package and get it shipped back to you. I don't know if its too late for that or not. You will have to contact the post office to find it if you can, and how.

Community Member
Answered

I don't mind paying for the postage and not being refunded as long as the item is not received by the buyer.

lacemaker3
Community Member
Answered

You said that you used Click-n-Ship to buy the label.

Here's the official answer from the post office website on voiding Click-n-Ship labels. (Voiding eBay and PayPal label is exactly the same, because they have to follow the USPS policy too).

Are Click-N-Ship® Labels Eligible for a Refund?

Solution:

Click-N-Ship® mailing labels are eligible for refunds if you did not use your label with postage (or for a label that did not print) when the following requirements are met:

You submit your refund request (one label at a time) at the United States Postal Service® website.

• On Click-N-Ship, you can select the Online Postage Refund page from both Shipping History and My Account.
  • You will need your transaction and label numbers from your label record (also included in your confirmation email).
  • You request your refund within 30 days of the original transaction date.
  • You should request a refund if you do not print your label before 11:59pm CST on the Ship Date.
  • Our system does not indicate any scan events such as a delivered or attempted scan for your label numbers.

The request will be verified, processed and your credit card account will be credited if approved. Please allow up to two billing cycles for your refund to be posted to your credit card statement. Processing requests can take up to 14 days. Posting to your account is dependent upon your financial institution. Check your Shipping History to see the status of your refunds.

gdalle
Community Member
Answered

It might help to know the dollar value & whats worth your time trying to stop delivery? UPS can stop a package or delay it, not sure about usps? I would call post office & let them know see what they say will happen to package? Calling paypal would have been a good first step. See if they can help & maybe they will suggest possibly wait at blue box at pickup time with indentification with you? & see if the postman can help you having the shipment returned some how even if not right there? I am not sure the legals, but just suggestions.

Good luck