eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

suspect buyer broke item unwrapping. now he wants refund

I sold an old vintage tube light fixture sign recently. It was my grandpas . From the 40s. I explained in listing how the ballast/transformer was cut off  by an electrician friend of mine because of its outdated dangerous properties.  I mention this now because it may be useful info later pertaining to a questionable detail, I sold it and had 5 bidders. Anyhow Not only did I use Styrofoam,  2 sizes of bubbler, thick card board box,  plenty of tape, Heard no shifting,. Sent Priority. Cost $30 to ship only charged 13. I get a message buyer wants a refund of $99.because it is broken in pieces I have attached photos. Before and after. There is a right proper way to deal with this im sure., Thing is, Im stuck. Trying to figure out who really broke this. The Buyer or USPS,, Does it matter anyway?  Am I wasting my time here? What to do? . Perhaps eve taken  this too personally because it was grandpas. Or perhaps Im feeling like I got screwed over.  Whenever u r going in the hole and losing money, something is wrong. Baying is suppose to be hobby and fun  So I thought  Not only is there a broken sign but 43 dollars gone{Shipping totals}  I could use someone to make sense out of this nonsense. I love eBay and find its members very.negotiable and kind. But then eve been ripped a time or two also.Studying aftermath photos of broken item. Sent  by buyer along with a refund request I suspect  he might have  broke  item unwrapping.. Whoso to blame?. I think a picture can say a thousand words  If there ever was a  CSI of  Ebay investigating before and after photos.   I hope a helpful  someone who cares, someone super savvy smart  reads this and can see it my way or not. Answer my  question. As as close this deal

, Yet sign is in pieces, why is the" I" now clear? While all the other letters (even the broken ones remain the frosty white?   (NOTE: that all letters get an extra coatness of   something, and becomes black as it attaches to the metal frame. AT  these points of  attachment of notice a little  wire curling all the way around the entire letter attached to frame.  ALSO , note now,  to after picture of the broken item,... Pieces are lying in the  box...Notice how the little wire that attached letter  is straight and not curled????? Seems to me, the only way this could have happened is if it were pulled off. Thereby straightening wire. This means item broke from the inside not the outside. If USPS dropped, crushed or kicked it... Most likely  would have shattered..  Not busted off in pieces. Most of all The little wire would still be curled. It is not. It Is STRAIGHT. Because of its fragile state, I  packed bubble wrap in and out of this with great care. I suspect recipient of said package may have been excited or perhaps it might have been opened by a curious someone else in household .whom didn't take caution and pulled letter straight off.  Now it is useless. , noones happy.                                                                                                                                                                                              

The

"I"

Turning completely clear boggles me .   Looks odd and out of sorts.    Can someone tell me what I should do?. im  tired of worrying about this BS

goodnight.... 

$T2eC16FHJGYFFk1COp)LBSMK++ftS!~~60_0.JPG
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: suspect buyer broke item unwrapping. now he wants refund

in reply to againstmywheels

"43 dollars gone{Shipping totals}"

How did you figure that?

Buyer pays return shipping.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 00ron0

What you "suspect" is irrelevent.

If the item is broken and you force the buyer to eat return shipping, expect appropriate feedback.

Please use plain text.
deserdog
Community Member

in reply to andersonjd01

There are some items that are fragile enough, that they can be broken regardless of how you pack them. It is just a matter of physics, inertia. 

Please use plain text.
lvlr.lvlonicker
Community Member

in reply to deserdog

There are some items that are fragile enough, that they

can be broken regardless of how you pack them. 

No !!   It all depends on the packaging. 

I have seen most fragile items worth $250K packaged hanging

on springs in the middle of a 3-dimensional frame cube, so 

that the item could swing up/down, left/right, forward/back.

The packing alone must have cost a grand.  

It's just depends on the elaboration and its cost-edffectiveness.  

Mr.Monicker

Please use plain text.
deserdog
Community Member

in reply to lvlr.lvlonicker

There is a section in the DMM, dometic mail manual, that deals with items that cannot be insured. One of the class of items are items too fragile to mail.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to andersonjd01

andersonjd01 wrote:

What you "suspect" is irrelevent.

If the item is broken and you force the buyer to eat return shipping, expect appropriate feedback.

Say what you will but many a seller will jump through hoops and go along with every demand from a buyer and still take a hit on feedback.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to 00ron0
I would like to see the buyers feedback left for others, I would tell him to mail it back for his refund. If he does not mail it back to you after you offer the refund Ebay will remove any negative he gives you.
Please use plain text.
justagurlinseattle
Community Member

in reply to 00ron0

00ron0 wrote:
I would like to see the buyers feedback left for others, I would tell him to mail it back for his refund. If he does not mail it back to you after you offer the refund Ebay will remove any negative he gives you.

Your photos is WAYYYYY to small to see..... 

Post it bigger.... NOT a thumbnail...... 

WHY would you have the buyer ship an item that is now worthless???

The item BROKE.... MOST likely  it was NOT the buyers fault..... most likely it was just not enough packaging 

to safely ship such a fragile item.....

If the buyer sent a photo of the damage..... and it is OBVIOUS it can't be fixed.....

Then I would NEVER make a buyer have to pay out of pocket for a mistake of the seller....

The item is now worthless.... having them ship it back is only to make the buyer pay... NOT because it is needed.....

~JAG~

❤Just a Gurl Living In Sweden❤

Can't a woman wreak a little havoc without there being a man involved? ~Darla from Angel ~
BtVS
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to justagurlinseattle

justagurlinseattle wrote:

00ron0 wrote:

Your photos is WAYYYYY to small to see..... 

Post it bigger.... NOT a thumbnail...... 

WHY would you have the buyer ship an item that is now worthless???

The item BROKE.... MOST likely  it was NOT the buyers fault..... most likely it was just not enough packaging 

to safely ship such a fragile item.....

If the buyer sent a photo of the damage..... and it is OBVIOUS it can't be fixed.....

Then I would NEVER make a buyer have to pay out of pocket for a mistake of the seller....

The item is now worthless.... having them ship it back is only to make the buyer pay... NOT because it is needed.....

Easy for you to say considering you've never sold anything on eBay.

Please use plain text.
nowibuystuff
Community Member

in reply to golddealsforyou

golddealsforyou wrote:
Easy for you to say considering you've never sold anything on eBay.

WHAT is a POSTING ID?

Do you really need more trash that you would want the Buyer to ship back a broken item that you knew could not be repaired?

Delivery Confirmation is now called "Tracking"

BUT seems to still be Delivery Confirmation

Copy & Paste from USPS site >>

If you shipped with Express Mail®, you’ll get point-by-point tracking details. If you used another service—USPS Tracking™, Certified Mail™, Registered Mail™ —you’ll see when it went out for delivery.
Please use plain text.
pascals_outlet_us
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to nowibuystuff

yeah we don't ship light bulbs.

seriously.

light tubes, bulbs, crystal chandeliers, ice statues.

no.

the good news, you learned a lot about ebay, shipping, and the cost of doing business today.

thank you.

Please use plain text.