eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

high fees to avoid ebay seller fees??

Some sellers have a very high shipping fee .

Is this to aviod ebay seller fee??

A example,$40.00 to ship a item in the

US that would cost maybe $10 at the most.

Excessive shipping fees keep the bidding

on the item lower.this type of seller seems

be building in reserve price and avioding

fees??

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: high fees to avoid ebay seller fees??

in reply to dbittner77jf

No, that is not a way to avoid selling fees. eBay charges a final value fee on the whole transction including the shipping cost.  

In other words, the final value fee is the same, whether it's a $40 item with $10 shipping, or a $10 item with $40 shiping, or a $50 item with free shipping.

Please use plain text.
cakeslave2012
Community Member

in reply to dbittner77jf
I see that a lot and I just refuse to bid on that item. I think many of them start the bidding low and charge a huge shipping rate so they still get a good return even if the item doesn't go for much. As a seller I now know how much it costs to ship items and many do charge sometimes 2 or 3x what it should cost to ship. I can see a slight overage for postal labels and packaging, but other than that.... no.
Please use plain text.
babylove80jr
Community Member

in reply to cakeslave2012
But what if the TOTAL price for the item is a good deal? You'll still pass it by because a seller wants to (gasp!) try to make a profit?
Please use plain text.
bffyfan
Community Member

in reply to babylove80jr
Without actual examples we cannot hazard a guess if $40 is appropriate or not.

You might think it should cost $10 but…you would not be the first person to be wrong on shipping.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bffyfan

bffyfan wrote:
Without actual examples we cannot hazard a guess if $40 is appropriate or not.

You might think it should cost $10 but…you would not be the first person to be wrong on shipping.

Also, an alarming number of people do seem to assume that a low-priced item should also be inexpensive to ship, regardless of what it actually weighs and how far it has to travel.

Please use plain text.
bffyfan
Community Member

in reply to thallidguy

thallidguy wrote:

Also, an alarming number of people do seem to assume that a low-priced item should also be inexpensive to ship, regardless of what it actually weighs and how far it has to travel.

Exactly. I remember when if it was under a pound it shipped flat rate at priority.

And everyone thinks everything can fit in a flat rate box now....

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to dbittner77jf

".....Some sellers have a very high shipping fee .

Is this to aviod ebay seller fee??

A example,$40.00 to ship a item in the

US that would cost maybe $10 at the most.

Excessive shipping fees keep the bidding

on the item lower.this type of seller seems

be building in reserve price and avioding

fees??....."

There IS no avoiding fees now.  Fees are now based on the entire amount the buyer pays.  So it doesn't matter whether the seller charges $5 for the item and $20 shipping.. or whether the seller charges $20 for the item with $5.00 shipping.. or perhaps $25 for the item and shipping is included for *free*... the buyer pays the same money for his item, and the seller pays the same fees to ebay & paypal.  It comes out even for everyone.

I've never quite understood the thinking of a buyer who gets such a good deal on an item he buys that he is darned near stealing it from the seller, and then gets all in a snit if the seller charges much more than postage costs in his shipping & handling charges!  LOL  It's OK if the buyer puts it to the seller, but worthy of a neg if the seller pads the shipping a smidge for safety.  :womanlol:

The thing here too is that the seller now has to pay not just the postage costs, and the packaging costs of bubble wrap, peanuts, tape, printer paper, toner cartridges or ink, etc. for packaging, he also has to pay ebay & paypal the fee of almost THIRTEEN PERCENT plus an additional 30¢ just on that shipping cost, that he doesn't get to pocket in the first place!  Most buyers don't realize that many sellers are subsidizing the true cost of getting the item into the buyer's hands.  If the buyer picked up the item as a Local Pickup Only, the seller wouldn't have to PAY extra over and above postage costs to ship packages to buyers, and yet buyers get all PO'ed when sellers charge that extra.  :womanvery-happy:  

You'd be smartest to just shop by who can get the item into your hands the cheapest, or the safest, or the fastest, etc. regardless of whether they charge $20 and $5 OR whether the charge is $5 and $20. 

Please use plain text.
wulabswutech
Community Member

in reply to mistwomandancing
I sell plenty of products for $20 that have shipping of over $100. Granted these are mostly to international destinations, but there are some fragile items that are hard to come by that I sell domestically where the shipping is easily twice the cost of the item. If people bought them locally, they would be paying a lot more, so they are willing to pay the higher shipping charges. Base your buying decision off of the total cost. If it is cheaper on eBay than other outlets, buy it here, if it is cheaper elsewhere, go elsewhere.

How much of the price goes to what doesn't matter. Would you stop buying milk at $2 a gallon if tomorrow they charged you 50 cents for the milk, 50 cents for Cow Maintenance and $1 for delivery to store?,
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to wulabswutech

I agree!  I sell mostly in the Pottery/Glass catagory and while some pieces are pretty expensive, a whole lot of them are just plates and bowls and pieces that folks buy to add to their sets, etc.

Glass is heavy stuff and often enough shipping is quite a bit more than the item sold for.  But that total is the COST of the item, ultimately, for the buyer.

Please use plain text.