eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
2012dena
Community Member
can I get media mail boxes from usps?

I have multipal dvds that I want to sell using the media mail rate.  Can I get the boxes from usps or do I have to use my own?

Other Answers: 7
bostongrammy
Community Member
Answered
in reply to 2012dena

Of course DVDs can still be sent via Media Mail.  The regulations include very limited references to educational criteria in very lmited contexts.

In the relevant section of the DMM on mterials  that are qualified for shipping via Media Mail, the word "educational" appears only in sections d (test materials) and g (reference charts).

The word "educational" does NOT appear  in section a, on books,  or section e, which covers "Sound recordings, including incidental announcements of recordings and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such recordings. Video recordings and player piano rolls are classified as sound recordings" or in section i, "Computer-readable media containing prerecorded information and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such media."

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/173.htm#1113509

For a long time, the "computer-readable" section was interpreted to include video games, but a surprising ruling in 2009 likened them to board games (which are not eligible for MM) and ruled that video games also weren't eligible:

http://pe.usps.com/text/csr/PS-334.htm

kraloe
Community Member
Answered
in reply to 2012dena

USPS doesn't provide Media Mail boxes.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to 2012dena

You can get flat rate and priority mail marked boxes for free.  They will even deliver them to your house.  However the only boxes you can get that are not marked that could be used for media mail is their ReadyPost boxes, but they are kind of pricey ($11.95 for 5 DVD size boxes).  When I ship individual DVD's, I ship them first class in a bubble mailer envelope.  You can find sellers that sell these bubble mailers here on eBay or order them from other online sites.  These will be cheaper than the post office boxes.  The first class is only slightly ($2.63 for first class vs $2.47 for media mail from Virginia to California) and it is much faster.  It is also not subject to inspections as media mail is.

glenda
Community Member
Answered
in reply to 2012dena

Here is what can be sent with media mail:  http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/shipping-services.html#media

pinkflamingo2855
Community Member
Answered
in reply to 2012dena

it doesn't sound like dvd's can be sent media mail anymore......the PO revamped media mail;;;am i correct, or am i reading this wrong?

The material sent must be educational media. It can’t contain advertising, video games, computer drives, or digital drives of any kind.

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go"
Oscar Wilde
Community Member
Answered
in reply to 2012dena

I recommend that you ship them in boxes not bubble mailers as they can be easily damaged that way.

You can sometimes find boxes made especially for DVD's and CD's at Dollar stores and/or here on eBay for a good price.

I also recommend First Class shipping-fast, safe and inexpensive.

I have never used Media Mail so don't know the rules on that-see link posted above for that information.

pinkflamingo2855
Community Member
Answered
in reply to 2012dena

you have to use your own. USPS only provides priority and express mailing boxes and envelopes.

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go"
Oscar Wilde