eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Why is the shipping calculator wrong and how can I fix it.

The rates do not match the USPS rates. It has nothing to do with "rounding up" or box dimensions. The USPS rates (the actual rates we have to pay) are higher. I do not buy postage online or print shipping labels at home. I take my packages to the post office and pay cash. I lost $150.00 on shipping in February. You have to just about double the actual weight of the package to get the shipping calculator's rate to be close to what it will be at the post office. I do not offer delivery confirmation, insurance, or anything else that cost extra. I do not charge a handling fee. I package the item as if I was going to mail it and weigh with a digital scale. There are no other factors to consider, The ebay shipping calculator is wrong! All of USPS's rates went up on February 28th, has ebay updated their info since then?

Other Answers: 11
Community Member
Answered
in reply to teresad912

Check your Account > site Preferences > Shipping Preferences, and see if you have the option checked to show the USPS discounted rates on your listings. You may need to change or remove that.

sbm-ventures
Community Member
Answered
in reply to teresad912

Yes of course the rates were updated. The info comes from the USPS site. You must be putting in the incorrect weight/dimensions or you are choosing a different shipping method when you get to the PO.

Check your scale maybe it is not correctly calibrated.

nufces09
Community Member
Answered
in reply to teresad912

and by the way - every package you ship at the u.s. post office has a delivery confirmation number printed on "print out" they give you when you drop off your packages - that is the delivery confirmation number you have to add by hand to your paid listings - the post office no longer uses the little green tags but the number is on the print out

nufces09 - Mary
nufces09
Community Member
Answered
in reply to teresad912

the problem lies in the the fact you are using ebay shipping calculator and then taking it to the post office - ebay calculator gives the ebay discount - if you want to not print your labels on ebay (and get the ebay discount) then you need to use the u.s. post office site to set your shipping charges and those charges will match what you pay at the post office

nufces09 - Mary
inceptions
Community Member
Answered
in reply to teresad912

The shipping calculator is 100% correct - the only "calculation" is to take the corresponding rate from the USPS rate table based on the information YOU input and add it to any handling cost you enter. If the calculator is not showing the correct rate, it is what you input that is incorrect. Do you think it is correct for millions and millions and millions of sellers but incorrect for just you?

If you will respond back with an example item #, the to and from zipcode, and the weight and package size you entered, we can tell you where you are going wrong.

You can continue to blame eBay and continue to get undesirable results OR you can let us help you to get the same accurate results the rest of us get. The decision is entirely up to you...

pinkflamingo2855
Community Member
Answered
in reply to teresad912

the calculator is not wrong, correct info in gets correct info out.---this statement;

Shipping Note:
There is something wrong with ebay's shipping calculator! The United States Post Office raised all of their rates on January 28, 2013 and the rates quoted by ebay do not match those given by the USPS. Only use ebay's shipping calculator for a rough estimate. I do not want to overcharge anyone, nor can I afford to lose money at the post office, so please email me before you pay for your item, for exact shipping charges to your location.

is not allowed, all a buyer has to pay is what's stated for shipping, you can lower it, but you cannot raise it.....why you are having trouble i don't know, as the calculator updated with the price change.

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go"
Oscar Wilde
bostongrammy
Community Member
Answered
in reply to teresad912

eBay's shipping calculator has shown the correct updated rates since they changed on January 27.  

When the rates changed, the service known as Parcel Post was split into Standard Post (the retail rate you pay at the Post Office) and Parcel Select (the online rate that you pay when printing your label through eBay) and the eBay shipping calculator now shows only the Parcel Select rate, not the Standard Post rate.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to teresad912

I had the same exact problem. I compared the costs after i got my package sent back to me. I used the EXACT SAME DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHT. Ebay showed me a label that was for $10.37 and USPS showed me a label that was $10.81. I dont understand why they arnt the same!

nowibuystuff
Community Member
Answered
in reply to teresad912

This is a known GIGO problem

Delivery Confirmation is now called "Tracking"

BUT seems to still be Delivery Confirmation

Copy & Paste from USPS site >>

If you shipped with Express Mail®, you’ll get point-by-point tracking details. If you used another service—USPS Tracking™, Certified Mail™, Registered Mail™ —you’ll see when it went out for delivery.
Community Member
Answered
in reply to teresad912

I do not know what the difference is between how you ship & how I ship but...

I weigh the item, put in the correct dimensions of the package and have not lost more than .02 so far....

I offer calculated shipping, via USPS and when I get there ( I do not print labels through ebay yet) I get tracking, it is included in the price and so far... I can not complain.

Is your scale pretty accurate when it comes to the actual weight being shipped?

Community Member
Answered
in reply to teresad912
I have had the same issue on more than one account. I just recently sent an item of 50lbs. I entered the pounds and the dimensions correctly in the calculator. I then added a $25 handling fee because of the weight and it being an older electronic piece. The calculator at the end of the auction had $51.xx as shipping (that includes the extra $25), I still paid $60 for the shipping. Today I sent out three old Mac laptops. The package was 21lbs, I entered 27lbs and a $5 handling fee with the correct dimensions. When the auction ended and the shipping was calculated, the total came to $33.xx but when I went to have it shipped, for the same shipping option which was fed ex, it came to $47.xx. I had to drop my shipping down to parcel mail because I only had $40 on my person. Parcel mail was actually $32.xx. This isn't a "big deal" when it is a dollar or two, but $15! I strive for customer service and do all I can to give quality items at a reasonable price. I don't mind if I lose out on a small item and end up spending more to ship than I made overall for the item (this has happened quite a few times with jeans and other clothing where the shipping was incorrect and what I thought would be my profit went to the rest of shipping!), but the reason I started eBay was to make some extra holiday cash. I do all of my selling and buying from my phone and have no way to print the labels. Is there not a way to get shipping calculations for shipment without this eBay shipping discount?