eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Accepted Solution
Who pays return shipping if item not as described?
I purchased a handbag with a stated strap drop of 12".  When it came it had a strap drop of 8".  The seller says to return it & she will exchange it.  she states no returns in her write up though. Why in the world would I be responsible for paying to return an item that was described incorrectly?

I also contacted her before I bid & said I had to have the bag by Oct. 5 & she assured me I would.  That isn't going  to happen now & I am leaving on a 2 week vacation on Sat. & will not be home until Oct. 20.  It is a Halloween bag I wanted to take on vacation.  I don't even really want it now.  

If I have to pay the postage I would be paying $14 in postage for something that is 2 hrs away.

Why am I responsible for her mistake?
Accepted Solution
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tabteacher
"Shipping costs--She charged me $7 to ship it to me, ao I assume that is what it will cost to send back to her?"

She is responsible for refunding the original payment ... item price and ORIGINAL shipping.  You are responsible for return shipping only.

Tell her you wish to return it for a full refund.  If she balks, file a SNAD (Significantly Not As Described).
Other Answers: 8
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tabteacher
Shipping costs--She charged me $7 to ship it to me, ao I assume that is what it will cost to send back to her?
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tabteacher
Thank you all for your replies.

@ angelgirl--I guess I assumed after I checked the dimensions in the item  specifics, they would be the same regardless of where I read.  I'm not sure why her mistake is now my mistake.  I read the first set of dimensions.

@ ritacummings--I'm not sure why you think this is buyers remorse.  I wanted the bag or I would not have bid on it.  Do I want a bag I can't put on my shoulder-no. I have a 100% rating on eBay.  I hav never left negative feedback.  I didn't understand your comment.

@ chipm-girl03--If what she stated was strap length, then she should have not said it was strap drop.

If I ordered pants with an inseam of 36, & they came with an inseam of 32, would your replies still be the same?  This measurement is important to me.  I want the bag on my should so my hands are free to carry other things.

I read elsewhere on eBay last night that the buyer has to pay return postage because eBay can't make the seller do it.  Seems to me that could be added to the agreement between eBay & seller.  If the item is not as described.

angelgirl327
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tabteacher
Actually the listing states two different strap drop lengths:

under item specifics:

Strap Drop:      12

And then in the description:

Bag is 10" tall, 13 1/2" wide, 4" gusset and 10" strap drop.

I would have questioned the seller on that before I bought or bid.  And the inches in the description is much more prominent and you should have noticed that and the discrepancy.  

It's a really cute bag that you're going to use in a very limited way - are you sure it's worth the trouble just for a couple of inches?  I'm also wondering why you say  the postage is so high at $14 - is the purse heavy? 
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tabteacher
It is ebay policy that the buyer pay for return shipping although IMO if the Seller is at fault they should reimburse you for that also.

I would also tell her what you stated here: you wanted it for your vacation and due to her error you will not have it so you would just prefer a refund.

Not much else you can do, sorry and good luck.
ritacummins
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tabteacher
Well, tabteacher, that's a cute bag and my first impression is that you are just suffering buyer's remorse and using the length of the strap as an excuse.I don't know why it should cost $14 to return it anyway.  How much postage was on the original package?   I am sure the seller did not pay $14.

Just keep the bag and enjoy it.
angelgirl327
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tabteacher

-I guess I assumed after I checked the dimensions in the item  specifics, they would be the same regardless of where I read.  I'm not sure why her mistake is now my mistake.  I read the first set of dimensions.

I'm just pointing out that if you had read the whole listing you would have noticed the discrepancy, questioned the seller and possibly saved yourself all this trouble and aggravation.   It's always important to read everything in a listing and not assume anything - that was a mistake on your part.  HOWEVER.........

If you're really not happy with the bag and it doesn't meet your needs then you should return it - either with the seller's agreement or with the item not as described case.

But return shipping is your responsibility - per ebay's buyer protection policy:

Return shipping will be at the buyer's expense.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/buyer-protection.html

Be sure to return the item with delivery confirmation to prove that the seller got the item back.  Then you will be refunded your original item price and the original shipping, as said.  Maybe if the seller gets the bag back and re-measures, she might reimburse you for return shipping if she discovers she measured wrong.  But there's no guarantee of that. 

october_paws
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tabteacher
Well, As to measurement goes two inches short each side.. I'm wondering that the seller has include the measurement to the claps which that makes 12" in total. Anyway, buyer is responsible for the return postage. Too often, buyer's errors or just a plain picky to the last dust to blame seller, such as unopened package come from the factory but not working or missing parts the list can go on and on with silly little details and make the seller's responsible.
Community Member
Answered
in reply to tabteacher
Hello. Ebay policy is that the BUYER is responsible for the ship cost to return the item back to the seller. Then when the item is returned, the seller issues a FULL refund. (the item cost and ship to cost) Or in this case the seller will pay shipping to you for the replacement purse.

If you really don't want the item, contact the seller and ask if they will cancel the transaction and refund your $$ instead of sending a replacement? BUT you will still have to pay to ship the purse back.

You could also just keep the hoot owls purse and resell it on ebay at a later day, (or perhaps as an unusal x-mas gift...a halloween pruse for an x-mas present...why not?)

Make sure you buy delivery confirmation if you ship the item back.

Enjoy you vacation...they don't happen often enough.