eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
purple.hawk
Community Member
What do I do (as a seller) when USPS loses package

I shipped out a package with paid signature confirmation. Since May 14, no new tracking information has been updated and it has been almost a month now. Buyer hasn't received package and Post Office cannot locate it or give me explanation - a USPS investigation case has been opened and they are looking into it. Is there a way to formally report to eBay that the Post Office lost my package? What else am I supposed to do?

Other Answers: 9
leedog-cubby
Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]
in reply to purple.hawk

The best thing you can do from now on is charge extra for the insurance you should now carry on all shipements. For some reason the post office never loses insures packages (imagine that?) only the "normal" ones tracked or non-tracked. Sad that you have to pay for insurance to get them to do what you paid for them to do in the first place. :smileymad: Make sure to claim any shipments that don't make it to their destination on time when they give a guarantee date / time. I just love those, bring the printout that shows the late delivery and they give you the money back on the shipment charges. At least you get something back that way from all the "lost" packages that seem to happen all to often.

I've been to my local post office a hundred times with lost packages and they never offer any help other than tell me what I already know. What a joke, no wonder they're losing money and closing postal stations.

divwido
Community Member
Answered
in reply to purple.hawk

First, go to your local USPS office and ask to speak to the postmaster.  Take the receict and DC with you.

USPS cannot just lose packages.  They have all kinds of scanners to make sure where items go.  Demand satisfaction.

After they find out what happened-then do what you need to do.

griffmommy
Community Member
Answered
in reply to purple.hawk

I just had this happen to me as a buyer.  My seller sent item that I ordered on December 4th via UPS mail innovations.  I can track the item up until UPS handed it off to the postal service in Harrisburg and now there is no sign of it what so ever.  The seller has offered to refund my money but it was from the Seatle Goodwill and the seller did indeed ship the item as I can track it from Seatle to Harrisburg where it went missing.  Contacted UPS who said they gave it to the postal service contacted the postal service who said we got notification a label was printed but never actually got the item.  Delivery to my address from Harrisburg is only a day usually and its been a week.  I feel bad having the seller refund the money postal service should be on the hook for it....told me I can file a complaint in 30 days which does me a lot of good when my husband's christmas gift is missing Christmas morning....good thing its not my kids stuff or I'd be real pissed with someone right now at UPS and USPS.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to purple.hawk

I got much worse cases now. The buyer bought 3 cameras from me first. I sent out via Priority Mail with signature service. The buyer filed the dispute case 45 days later (The last day eBay allows to do it). The latest tracking info just says "Left the notice", that is it. The buy used another eBay id (same shipping address) to buy another one from me a month late after the first purchase and claimed the same thing on the same day. The tracking for this package says "Out for delivery" and nothing else. Both have no proof of signature. So I lost more than 1k on two packages because I can't provide signature proof to eBay/Paypal. The buyer took money back through CC charge back for first one and ebay for second one. The post office is still investigating them. But I am so skeptical I will get my money back.

I have reported to eBay and Paypal that it is a scam based on the behavior of  the buyers and no help. Both packages were not insured. Really don't know if I can have PO to pay for it even it is their fault obviously. Does any know if I can sue PO via small business court?  Thanks.

maggie_kai
Community Member
Answered
in reply to purple.hawk

If you didn't get insurance, you won't get reimbursed by the USPS for the loss.

Your buyer is due a refund by you.

ritacummins
Community Member
Answered
in reply to purple.hawk

I would ask the buyer to wait.  Remind him that he has 45 days of buyer protection.   Ask him to wait at least 30 days and if he hasn't received his item by then, refund the entire amount including shipping.

Then give the buyer your email address and tell him how to reimurse you through Paypal if and when the package arrives.

nowibuystuff
Community Member
Answered
in reply to purple.hawk

I shipped out a package with paid signature confirmation.

If the TOTAL Price of the item

Item price + shipping & handling

was $249.99 or less

You wasted your money

Signature Confirmation ONLY needed for items TOTAL Price of $250.00 and greater

Since May 14, no new tracking information has been updated and it has been almost a month now.

Unless it was sent Express,

There is NO tracking

ONLY confirmation of Delivery

So the day it is delivered, the system will update as being delivered several hours after the fact

Carrier has to bring the hand held scanner back to the office and they upload the information later in the evening

Buyer hasn't received package and Post Office cannot locate it or give me explanation - a USPS investigation case has been opened and they are looking into it.

Is there a way to formally report to eBay that the Post Office lost my package?

NO

WHY would eBay care?

You are responsible to make sure the Buyer gets the item in as described condition

What else am I supposed to do?

Since the Buyer did not get the item

You need to give the Buyer a FULL refund

What they paid for the item + what they paid for the original shipping & handling

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Did the Buyer contact you that there was a problem / missing package

OR

Did the DC/SC not update as delivered >> So you contacted the Buyer to make sure everything was OK?

If you contacted the Buyer

Decent chance they have the item but since the DC/SC was not updated

There plan is to get the item and the refund

NEVER go looking for trouble

Delivery Confirmation is now called "Tracking"

BUT seems to still be Delivery Confirmation

Copy & Paste from USPS site >>

If you shipped with Express Mail®, you’ll get point-by-point tracking details. If you used another service—USPS Tracking™, Certified Mail™, Registered Mail™ —you’ll see when it went out for delivery.
Community Member
Answered
in reply to purple.hawk

Make a complaint to the postal inspector.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to purple.hawk

aisefs

If you have package out for delivery it is asumed delivered. ASUMED being the key word. For big ticket items you should ALWAYS buy insurance. Because the item then becomes USPS liability and if they can't prove delivery they will have to reimburse you as you have to reimburse your buyer. If you have burned your self once and done the same colosal mistake again, well you are the only person to blame for this fiasco. $2.50 SConf. is well worth the money...

purple.hawk

Ask your buyer for patience and pray it will be delivered, since you too have decided to go cheap and now pay for your mistake.  The time for opening a case is 45 days so ask you buyer for 35-40 days and hope for the best. If nothing hapends refund money in full and ask ebay to refund sellers fees. If the package gets delivered eventualy ask the buyer to send you payment -20% off for the trouble.