eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member
Undeliverable As Addressed........

Because I can't get any real answers from USPS...and Google isn't helping either....what exactly does "Undeliverable as Addressed" mean??? I've had an ongoing issue with a missing package that was sent March 19th, it was in limbo for about 6 weeks and as of May 1st, the tracking info says "Undeliverable as Addressed"....I don't even know if this package is in one piece or not!! This package was supposed to go from Rhode Island to Tennessee and it seems it sat in Atlanta, GA the whole time!! The box I mailed out was clearly marked with the recipient's address and mine, capital letters written with a sharpie, couldn't have been missed....unless the label was torn off, I used a decent amount of packing tape to keep it on. So, here we are, May 15th....package still hasn't been returned to me like USPS said it would be (they also told me they don't know what condition it's in or when/how it will be sent back). Does anyone have any ideas on why this happened and why did it sit in one city for sooooooo long?? I'm just glad the thing was found, I figured it was stolen at this point!!

Other Answers: 10
robo9446
Community Member
Answered
in reply to ashley42085

The answer for USPS( undelivered as addressed) means your package was placed in the wrong delivery  truck route for your address.No need to go to post office it will be delivered to you the next day .USPS drivers are not allow to go into someone else's delivery route.Hope this eases your concern.Robo9446

Community Member
Answered
in reply to ashley42085

I had the same problem. The package was lost. The USPS saying: undeliverable address would return to sender immediately; if you don't receive it back with a few days, the package will be lost; if you buy USPS insurance, USPS will give you a claim; if you buy ShipCover insurance, you will get nothing. ShipCover will deny you with shipping to wrong address even though you ship to correct address and print the shipping label from Ebay with Paypal confirmed addres. I had one bad experience. I shipped the package out with ShipCover insurance. The delivery confirmation showed undeliverable as address and never updating again. A few days, I called USPS about that. They said the package was undeliverable and return to sender. If you didn't receive it and you bought USPS insurance, you would file a claim. Or it was considered normal mail. At that time, I bought ShipCover insure. I filed a claim on ShipCover. Finally I lost the case. The reason was shipped to wrong address. I stated that I printed the label from Ebay and the address was confirmed by Paypal. I called Ebay motioned it was not my fault and I printed the shipping label without any modification. But Ebay representative cant help. I called ShipCover manager. She said if you bought USPS insure, you would get the claim. The ShipCover policy was different from USPS insure. The ShipCover policy doesn't cover undeliverable address(they define as wrong address.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to ashley42085

I shipped to my buyer via USPS and the tracking number showed "Undeliverable As Addressed." I contacted my buyer to let her know and asked her to stop by her local postage office. At the same time I called USPS and the agent told me that the item was delivered 20 minutes ago. My buyer confirmed she received the item and we had a happy ending. Dont have a clue what happened.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to ashley42085

This is what happened to me.  I called USPS the next day and asked them if they had my package.  They said there was some sort of mix up when the package got scanned and put on the delivery truck so they had to send the package back to the post office that day and mark it as "undeliverable as addressed."  Apparently it went out the next day.  So I'm guessing give it an extra day but if you haven't gotten your package by then I would call the post office.  Hope that helps.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to ashley42085

I am having the same issue and what im reading here is really bothering me, my buyer on ebay addmitted that the package actually got to the residence but says the roomate didnt know it was coming and declined it.  but it says that same thing, wrong address or whatever, even though it says two days before they left a note, so how is it the wrong address? or is the address coming back wrong they are saying? I swore ebay told me before if you get delivery confirmation you are protected, also i read that even though you might not be able to track your package from exactly where it is if you didnt get tracking on the package but internally the packages are always tracked by the barcodeon the reciept. There is no excuse from the PO if they got the package to the address you put on the package , but the person didnt sign for it. then thats their responsibility to get it back to you. I thought insurance was for damaged goods, or other thngs. Not just woops we lost your $300 item and sorry. im so angry and do not want to deal with this anymore;.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to ashley42085

No way to know why it sat for so long.  But, here is a link that explains (sort of) their reasons for non-delivery:

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/507.htm

Community Member
Answered
in reply to ashley42085

I happened to come across this question again...this was 3 months ago.....would you believe the said package is STILL MISSING??? Just thought I'd give an update!! I've talked to every single person at USPS that I thought could help, there's nothing that can be done, I'm only told to wait. I last spoke to someone about this issue 3-4 weeks ago. Still waiting, what a shame. I've pretty much given up but I'd like to try at least one more time.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to ashley42085

The same thing has happened to me I've gotten one package out of five and I figured out what it was for me anyways might be different for you. When i typed in the address I put it in from so they dont know where to send it but they some how figured how to get one to me? Im goin in tomorrow to see if they still have my other packages to try and get them and tell them what happened.

inceptions
Community Member
Answered
in reply to ashley42085

It could mean many things, but if the label was smeared or torn and unreadable, it would have been undeliverable. If the return address was torn off, it couldn't be returned.

If you insured, put in a claim; if you didn't, you may be able to fill out a form with USPS to describe the package and contents and they may be able to locate it at the mail recovery center. Call 1 800 ASK USPS.

In the future, include a packing slip with your return address or other contact information. USPS does work hard to get the contents of a package to the recipient or sender when possible. I received back a mangled Christmas card that had been caught in machinery two years later along with a note of apology.

tamhotoys
Community Member
Answered
in reply to ashley42085

I am having the same problem with the Atlanta sort facility. My opinion is that they are just taking their time sorting packages out. If they get to it by the end of the shift great, if not, then it will just have to wait another day. It is happening so often now that I have come to expect it. Especially from the USPS. Free tracking and $50 insurance... Not really. They are just cutting those funds from as many of  other services as they can and this is the result. Sometimes packages will even sit in my local post office for two days before they get it to me. When I ask about it, it is always somebody elses fault. Has anyone noticed that they never state guaranteed delivery anymore. It used to be that every time I shipped something they would mention the number of days the particular service I chose would deliver the package by. Not any more.