eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member
USPS Priority Mail versus First Class Mail?

I am a novice eBayer, but I really enjoy selling items on eBay and working with buyers. I am beginning to sell more items on eBay and need some advice! I usually ship items via USPS Priority Mail and have ordered the free boxes online through the USPS website. I recently sold two items on eBay for $5.99, but to ship them Priority was about the same. I wasn't too happy about that being that I practically made nothing out of those two sales. I notice often that First Class Mail is cheaper by far. Can anyone clarify or give some good advice about FCM? I know there are a lot of experienced eBayers out there and I could really use some guidance as to good about good shipping practices and tips.

Other Answers: 5
wingirl123
Community Member
Answered
in reply to christinacovo27

It is definitly cheeper to go first class and your items will arive quickly.You can purchase poly bags here on ebay that I think work best and are priced great and dont weigh anything ,but are water proof and have a seal.That is what I use and have had no complaints. As for making some money ( I make most of my shipping 5.95 and explain that printing and packaging are due to shipping prices.

Community Member
Answered

Packages under 13 oz can be shipped first class. You need to provide your own package, in this case, a bubble envelope would have been sufficient. In addition, if you are going to ship first class, make sure the listing says first class.

22shoes
Community Member
Answered

To ship via First Class Mail parcel / package / thick envelope...

Your package

*cannot weigh more than 13 ozs.

*must be at least 3/4" inches thick.

If you print your labels online, the cost will range from $1.64 (for 1-3 oz) to $3.28 (for 13 oz).  This includes the cost of DC.

It will be a bit nmore expensive if you pay at your PO, plus you would be expected to pay full price for the DC.

Community Member
Answered

If you're going to make any profit on e-Bay,you'll have to calculate the costs of shipping/handling/packaging and e-Bay/PayPal fees into your prices.B-)

Y'all come back now y'hear?
ritacummins
Community Member
Answered

I see no point in shipping via priority mail when the item is inexpensive.   You have no point in selling here if you do not make money.   You can ship a small parcel, up to 3 oz, via 1st class mail with delivery confirmation for $1.64.

That is the only method I use unless the item is expensive enough to require signature confirmation. Those I ship via Priority but I no longer offer free shipping for them.

I am speaking of domestic mail only.  International shipping is another thing, but I no longer ship internationally.  Too expensive and too many problems.