eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

mtra5388
Community Member

The item I bought was damaged

I opened a claim with UPS. They do not need to inspect package. They said they would contact seller . I notified seller of claim on Aug. 10th . I have not heard back from seller or UPS. When I go to UPS website and log in , it says they will contact seller and get back to me. I think I have waited long enough , I can't use the item  cause I don't know if has to be returned or what.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: The item I bought was damaged

in reply to mtra5388

Here is the process from UPS, if the claim is in the works than either UPS has not contacted the Seller (Send your Seller a email and ask if UPS contacted them)  or  UPS is in the process in getting the correct documentation.   Usually the seller files the claim for damage, unusual case since this is backwards to what I am aware of.  Good Luck

Damaged Package Claims Process

Damaged Packages
Damage to a package can be reported by a shipper, recipient, or by UPS. After a damage inspection is performed by UPS, the shipper of record is contacted with the results. Depending on the results, the shipper can file a claim for the repair or replacement cost of the package contents up to the declared value.

The steps in a damaged package claim are as follows:

Damages

1. Damage Reported
A shipper or recipient can report a package that has been damaged during shipment. The shipper can also submit documentation in support of the claim online, or by fax or mail, at the time damage is reported.  In the event that a damaged package is discovered while still in the UPS system, we will notify the shipper of record and provide details. Once damage has been reported, you can check the status of the claim online, anytime.

Note: Damage can be reported online only for packages that have an origination and destination within the United States. To report damage of international packages, contact UPS.

2. UPS Inspects Package if Required
UPS will inspect the damaged package to determine the cause of damage and verify proper packing materials were used (in accordance with the shipping terms). UPS may inspect the package at the shipper's or receiver's site, or may collect the package for inspection at a UPS facility.

Once the UPS investigation is complete, a notification letter will be mailed or faxed to the shipper. UPS will not send inspection information to the receiver of the package.

3. Claim Authorized
  • If the claim is issued, a Damage/Loss Notification claim letter will be mailed or faxed to the shipper of record; UPS will not send the claim letter to a receiver
  • If the claim is not approved, UPS will notify the shipper; the shipper can contact UPS with any questions or concerns

4. UPS Reviews Documents
It is essential that the shipper supplies UPS with documentation that supports the actual repair or replacement cost of the merchandise, up to the declared value, as requested in the Damage/Loss Notification claim letter. This documentation can be provided either when the damage is first reported, or after the Damage/Loss notification is issued. Supporting documentation can include original invoices, purchase orders, or other information required by UPS.

UPS will:

• Determine the value declared, if any, for the contents of the package
  • Verify that the product falls within the guidelines of the UPS terms or contract with the shipper

A UPS mailing address and fax number will be provided in the Damage/Loss Notification claim letter. In addition, instructions on how to submit supporting documentation online will be provided.

5. Claim Paid
Once the claim has been approved and UPS receives the supporting documentation identified in the claim letter, payment will be processed. The claim payment may differ from the original amount requested depending on the documentation provided. Explanation of the difference in payment amount, if any, will be printed on the check stub. Typically, claim checks are mailed to the shipper's billing address on file three to five business days after UPS receives the required documentation.

In the event the claim is not approved for payment, UPS will contact the shipper.

Please use plain text.
kariandlarrysales
Community Member

Re: The item I bought was damaged

in reply to mtra5388

mtra5388 wrote:

I opened a claim with UPS. They do not need to inspect package. They said they would contact seller . I notified seller of claim on Aug. 10th . I have not heard back from seller or UPS. When I go to UPS website and log in , it says they will contact seller and get back to me. I think I have waited long enough , I can't use the item  cause I don't know if has to be returned or what.

Contact the seller again & ask for a refund - insurance is for their protection not yours.

If the seller won't work with you, open a Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) case & escalate to a dispute as appropriate. Don't wait beyond 45 days to file the case.

Please use plain text.