eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
Community Member

Problems Printing International Label from Paypal

always use paypal for my domestic labels.  decided to try and do a priority international with 15 items in the box.  keep getting the 'total weight is more than shipping weight message'.  finally found a paypal forum answer that the weight is for EACH item on the customs form (total / # items).  Okay, fine - that took about 15 minutes. 

then, I went to print.  now, I get a black page saying I need to update java.  Now, I know java has security issues so I am loathe to keep downloading updates.  so, back to the forum.  they said to use IE instead of Firefox so you won't get that messge.  so, I do that and click reprint label.  Now I can see the label so I click 'print 2 pages' .  Nothing.  It has my printer on the top of the label page but my printer never blinks that something is about to print. 

wound up just voiding the darn thing and going to the PO and paying $15 more.  Yea!  

So glad we have collections and  carts and bell icons (instead of the community dropdown) to distract me from the fact that a simple thing like a label makes me want to tear my hair out.  

anyway, thanks for listening. 

that did I do wrong? 

Please use plain text.
rain797
Community Member

Re: Problems Printing International Label from Paypal

in reply to 2010byandsel100

Why didn't you just update java?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

It seems like you had everything almost there (being able to view the completed label on-screen proves that), but the handoff of the label to your printer queue was bobbled somehow. I hate to raise a basic question, but you checked that your printer queue is not paused, and that it was set up with standard Letter (8½" x 11" size) paper, yes?

The other issue is that the international label printing procedure requires popping open a new browser window. If your browser is set to suppress that, then you won't get the print screen.

Finally, on a general note regarding the Java updates, you're more at risk using the older releases than the newest one, and in fact Java now has a utility application on their website that will check your machine for any older releases still present, and help you to remove them. It would be best to get rid of any old Java releases on your machine, regardless of whether you decide to allow the current one to install. I use the current Java release with my label printing on multiple machines, and have had no issues.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to a_c_green

a_C:  I think you may have hit on something.  I never got the pop-up window and being I switched over to IE in my attempts, I may have missed it asking me if I should allow pop-ups.  I'll bet that was it. 

as far as updating java, I'd heard that there were security issues so that is why I have never let it update anymore.  I never thought about uninstalling older versions, though.  Will do that now.   

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hi, yes, you'll need to allow popups from trusted domains, ebay.com being one of them.

As regards the Java, I think you will need that for the printing process, but again, it's more important to be rid of the old Java releases regardless. I would not be concerned about having the current release on board.

Please use plain text.