eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member
Accepted Solution
Postage labels - Need to make smaller

I just started using the postage labels on eBay.  They print 1/2 page.  This is okay for large packages but I send mostly small items.

My printer and computer are HP.

When I go to print a label it does not give me the option to print preview and change or shrink the size.

I spoke with the local USPS and they said many customers shrink their labels.  Just not too small to scan.

I have tried to figure this out for 2 days now, even called eBay customer service.  Getting frustrated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solution
clever_never
Community Member
Answered
in reply to mgogo1960

this is how it works with my printer:

When you click on the 'print shippinhg label' link next to an item, it brings up a new window where you select a shipping service and enter dimensionns and weights, etc.

There's a  'pay and print' button on that page.

When you click that, it opens up another window with an image of the label, and a notice that says you've been charged.

There's a 'print label' button on that page.

When you click that button, yet another window opens up.

That's your printer settings page, and that's where you set the size your label will print.

It should have some 'properties' that you can change, including some kind of interface where you can set it to print at, for example, 75% size.

Then there's another 'print' button to press.

Maybe your printer's different, though

good luck

Other Answers: 8
buckeyestamps
Community Member
Answered
in reply to mgogo1960

Hello Sir

Let me be of assistance and cut out all the rubbish for you...

1 - use internet explorer to print out your ebay labels...

2 - Do all your shipping labels like usual but this time right before you are about to click "print" (like usual) DO NOT CLICK PRINT THERE

3 - click "file" in top left corner of IE.

4 - click "print preview" NOT PRINT

5 - on the far right near top where it says "shrink to fit" - change that to your desired size. ONLY WAY TO CHANGE ACTUAL SIZE

6 - If you are like me and do not want to send 6X9 envelopes out for stamps that i sell..........Then this is what you must do comrade. It works, dont listen to these other "special people"

7 - If you want to put the shipping label on a regular 4x6 envelope....like me.....change "shrink to fit" ---> 70 - 85 % range. I have mine set to 80 percent.

This should send you on the righteous path hombre...

later

Community Member
Answered
in reply to mgogo1960

None of these answers really helped me so I just played around with the shipping label, and wa la, do everything you normally do until the last step there on your left of your label is a box that says default, click on this, and custom will come up, click and then you can drag the lines to as small as you like. Yee Haw I'm so proud! Lol

Community Member
Answered
in reply to mgogo1960

For anyone else that needs it I figured out how to do it yet another way that might work for you.

I use a MacBook and Google Chrome for a browser

From the page where you choose your shipping service I click print and pay for label, and a new page opens. 

Then I click print label again, and a dropdown menu comes up with what it is going to look like. 

On the left where the options are I scroll down and click open in PDF form

The same label opens in Preview

I click file-> print and another drop down menu appears and from here I was able to adjust the size down. I use 75%.

As I was typing this all out it sounded like a lot of work, but it actually goes pretty fast. I didn't wanna use safari like someone else suggested because all of my passwords and settings are saved on Chrome.

Hope that helps someone!

Community Member
Answered
in reply to mgogo1960

I will have to agree with 9311godisgood.. that way helped me.... as he/she said.... do everything as normal. rigtht beofre that last click to print your label on the left side the option for me was in the margins column... the options are default, none, minimum, and custom... 

You want to choose custom.

Move the bottom margin upwards and the right margin to the left.

Get them as close as possible without loosing the image.

Mine is:

0.07 for the right to left margin

7.58 for bottom to top margin

Once desired custom size is set, go ahead and print.

Size fits perfectly (with room to adjust) to a small size envelope (3 5/8 x 6 1/2)

Hope this helps

craneclimber1
Community Member
Answered
in reply to mgogo1960

the HP printers I have used over the past years (3 of them) have all had the 'printer preferences' button appear at the top ofthe 'print' page.

all print settings are available from there, including resizing the page.

alan_scott_studios
Community Member
Answered
in reply to mgogo1960

One more option for you as none of the above worked for me...

Above the Print Label button it may say:

"If your label prints too small, open the label window and click Print Label."

a) Click the open the label window link.
b) In the new window that appears go to File >Print preview.
c) In the Print preview window their is a drop down menu that will allow you to select a size.
d) Select your preferred size (80% is good).
e) Click the printer icon to print.

You can do this repeatedly to find the right size for you.

Hope this helps!
Community Member
Answered
in reply to mgogo1960

Is the printer preferences' button that appears at the top ofhe 'print' page on the eBay Postage label site?

Community Member
Answered
in reply to mgogo1960

i use a Mac so this was also a problem. I was using chrome but it gives no options for resizing, however Safari does. When you hit print, the settings windows appears and give you the option to change the size in percentage format so 100% for regular packages and 75% for those little padded envoelopes. So basically my problems was with the browser and not the printer. Hope this helps!:smileyhappy: