eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
happyscrappyandfriends
Community Member

Package was returned to me

I shipped a package prioroty mail and it was returned to me with an "ANK" Address Not Known written in. Is my prioroty mail label still good? Can it be cancelled for a refund? And am I on the hook for purchasing another label, or is that the buyers responsibility?

Please use plain text.
theatricalhead2toe
Community Member

Re: Package was returned to me

in reply to happyscrappyandfriends
The label is no good anymore

No it cannot be cancelled

I'd have the buyer pay for shipping again but I'd verify the address with them.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]

USPS did their job so I'm not sure why you think you'd be able to be refunded for the label. However, if the address IS correct and the buyer confirms it, go to the USPS website and check it. If it checks out okay there, print the page and take the package to the post office. They will reship it at no extra charge as long as the error was on their part.

Please use plain text.
happyscrappyandfriends
Community Member

in reply to takikawa4

Im not sure that USPS did their job...package went from Georgia to Jacksonville FL (our main processing center) and then straight back to me in Georgia.  Original destination was California.  The package should have at least been sent to California first before determining it was address unknown correct?  Anyway, I just see this ending in either a negative feedback, or me losing money one way or another.  

I looked on the USPS website and couldnt find the address lookup.  Can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]

To check the address, use the Calculate postage feature.

Hmm, so it never made it to California? I'd print out the tracking info and take it down to the post office. Again, if it was their mistake, they should reship at no charge.

You may want to email the buyer and let them know what's going on and what you're doing to help. Apologize profusely. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

in reply to takikawa4

Check the address with the buyer and if correct make USPS send it again.

Please use plain text.
prairie-creations
Community Member

in reply to takikawa4

[snip]

Apologize profusely

[/snip]

It might not hurt to smooth things over with a partial refund of perhaps the cost of shipping if the USPS reships it for free, and even so if they don't.  Just to avoid a possible negative.   Buyers who are just buyers do not care about the system ebay has set up for sellers and will give a neg without any thought even when it's something beyond the control of the seller.  Some buyers are understanding while others are not.

But either way  communicate with the buyer like there is no tomorrow letting them know your on top of it and letting them know what's going on. 

I had a buyer years ago that had her package go missing for 30 some odd days.  I told her I would refund her payment and she said no to wait a bit longer.   So that's what I did.  This was in my early days of selling.....  The package arrived safe and sound but it just took awhile and it went to timbucktu before going to the buyers address.   She was very understanding, but it could have just as easily gone the other way.

Please use plain text.
duchess-at-speakeasy
Community Member

ANK means "addressee unknown" -- the address is fine but the person is not there.

However, given the immediate return to GA from FL without going to CA, I think there's something wrong with the barcode or the state code was misread.   I would definitely take the package to the PO and ask for an explanation.  In other words, something on that label does not match the written address.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess

To eBay, I think we hover somewhere between loathed, tolerated, and ignored.
Please use plain text.