eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Accepted Solution
Item returned to me (seller) postage due when buyer had me ship to wrong address

I shipped an item to a buyer's eBay address; printed the label through eBay with the tracking.  She contacted me a week later asking where the package was and sent me her new address.  Tracking showed it was in her old Post Office.  I told her to go there and see if they have the package.  A few days later tracking showed it being sent back to me.   Yesterday I got a card from the Post Office saying I owe $10 (Postage due) to have it returned to me.  I have had things returned before but never had to pay to get them back.  What now?  I think the buyer owes me another $20 to for me to get the item and send it to her new address.  Anyone have a similar problem?

Accepted Solution
maggie_kai
Community Member
Answered
in reply to mwdolls

You are stuck.

If you don't pay to get the item, you can't forward the item to the buyer at their expense.  

You also can't force them to pay to receive the item.

You may wind up having to refund the buyer for non-delivery as well.

The post office will return items at no cost if shipping first class or higher (priority, express).   Parcel post items are not returned at no expense.

Other Answers: 3
mwdolls
Community Member
Answered
in reply to mwdolls

I will pay the $10 for the package to be returned to me and if she still wants it she can pay $10 for me to re-ship.  If she doesn't want to pay I'll cancel and send out a full refund.  I'm out $20 for shipping but I learned a lesson about Parcel Post, which I probably will no longer use in spite of it's lower cost for larger items.  Thanks for your help.  The buyer is adamant that she had the right address in eBay and PayPal.  My notices from them both have the old address.   I say she could have read the notice from eBay about the shipment and notified me that it was the wrong address (I print the night before, ship the next afternoon).  P.S. The buyer has 0 feedback, welcome to eBay!

stumblebumble
Community Member
Answered
in reply to mwdolls

Check with Paypal to see when that change of  address was done by the buyer.  If any change was done, it should have been before the buyer paid for the item.  Paypal keeps a record of any changes made to an account.  And for seller protection, you must ship to the address indicated on the order details page.

mwdolls
Community Member
Answered
in reply to mwdolls

Yes, it was a larger item and I shipped Parcel Post.  Thanks.