eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Geico
ponderosadist
Community Member
Is there a work around for the java security pop up box when printing shipping labels? I have to click through multiple times before print

Brother QL570

Other Answers: 7
Community Member
Answered
in reply to ponderosadist

First, if anyone is still having problems. Use Internet Explorer, it's the only browser still using the previous version of Java. I was able to use my thermal printer, no problem.

Nope it's with Oracle, who works on Java. There was an article released yesterday that Java has been comprised and I had an update for Java, which I think what they had hoped would prevent our computers from being comprised, basically created a standstill on eBay and Paypal for people who use thermal printers.

Now if you tried IE and you still can not print labels, you need to use your inkjet and not use your thermal printer. Being as when we print on thermal, it uses Java, but our inkjet setting doesn't. 

Only reason I found this out, is my thermal printer is a small one and is unable to print international, which I use my inkjet for. All my international printed just fine, just when it came to within USA, they go to the thermal.

I had logged into Paypal and changed my printer setting, but for some stupid reason, it was not recognizing that I changed to my inkjet. The target printer had my inkjet, but the sample label showed how it appears if I were printing on my thermal. 

And with this is how I stumbled onto Internet Explorer working. Someone said they were able to use Firefox in another thread, but I was not seeing what they listed in their instructions.

ponderosadist
Community Member
Answered

If I disable Java, I can't print labels. It prompts me to install java runtime

ponderosadist
Community Member
Answered

I'm with you... I have 4 others that do the same thing I do and have the same problem. It is impossible to contact Java. They don't even have a customer service contact.

You would think that since this is a PayPal application, PayPal would have some answers. Hope someday some "Techie" will figure it out.

Community Member
Answered

This sounds more like a printer driver issue than anything else.

You may want to contact Brother instead - that's where I would go.

Community Member
Answered

I have tried EVERYTHING. From using different browsers, to uninstallling Java to reinstalling. Reboot computer, complete shut down and on down the line. I even went to Paypal to see if I could print from there, still get the Java error.

I do know you can disable Java and select it to only run on eBay and Paypal, being as I am not even aware how you can print labels through either one without Java. HOWEVER, printing through my ink jet printer (Canon MG5220), I can print labels just fine, but those are for international, but the minute I need to print for USA, which uses my thermal printer (Brother QL-570) I get the tab that Java needs to be installed. 

I have tried switching my printer to take it to my inkjet, but still says it needs Java, which is why I don't understand why international doesn't??

I have tried changing my target printer.

And what is even more frustrating, eBay only allows you 10 attempts to reprint the label. After that you are forced to void and reprint. I just love wasting my money. *sigh*

I am at my wits end and just am running out of options.

Community Member
Answered

Sorry, I don't know what else to tell you - maybe the different labels/printer or OS or something else.

Hopefully another user will come along with suggestions.

Community Member
Answered

I disabled JAVA browser add-on last year, due to warnings from security experts (long before the Homeland Security warning last week), and eventually uninstalled it completely.

I have no problems printing shipping labels - apparently it's not needed, although I keep seeing responses on this board that it is. That's my experience.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/01/14/java_zero_day_exploit_don_t_patch_just_disable_ja...