eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
jedgell233
Community Member
Accepted Solution
How long does a seller have to send an item?

I paid for an item on the Oct 18th 2012 and it's the 24th and the seller has yet to ship the item.  Not to mention I was charged 2.99 shipping too.  I contacted the seller on the 22nd and received no answer.

What is ebay's policy on the time frame for sellers to ship out items?

I'll contact the seller again on the 7th possible shipping day (which isn't far from now) then head over to the resolution center.

Accepted Solutions: 3
terrycece62
Community Member
Answered
in reply to jedgell233

seller can set timeframe - most seller in my experience (1 have been a member since 2008 ship out fairly quickly - 1- 10 days

but IT CAN VARY - first check the sellers listing for sellers specified time frame - this must be noted in listing. also if you don't receive seller response or item within the 7-10 day period take it to the resolution page - this will usually get you a responds - but i would give seller a couple more days atleast - and check sellers listing as stated above.

you are covered under buyer's protection only upto 45days

trinitybball23
Community Member
Answered
in reply to jedgell233

The resolution center is a last resort.  Even Ebay says that buyers & sellers should work things out.  When you state that you are going to the resolution center, it comes out as a threat. 

I can't speak for the others, but myself as a seller, cringe at the words Resolution Center, dispute, etc.  Maybe some day if you start selling you will see what we go through & understand. 

Your item is a few days late, if it is even late at all.  Buyer Protection gives you 45 days to open a dispute & it hasn't even been a full week since you purchased & you are talking Resolution Center.  Your item is most likely on it's way & so far your seller has done nothing wrong.  It is mandatory to ship the item as shown in the listing.  It is not mandatory for the seller to mark as shipped or add a dc#. 

I apologize if our answers rubbed you the wrong way.  The answer center is a great place to get answers from knowledgeable, experienced members (who volunteer their time for this). 

The tone of your message was combative (IMO) & thus the responses. 

=^^= Save a stray today.
gageman22
Community Member
Answered
in reply to jedgell233

I am sorry if you thought I was rude, I was not trying to be. I hope you will come back to the AC if you have any more questions, and the members on here usually help more than they hurt. Also, I just thought of the reason for no number could be that they sent 1st class. I have had packages come 1st class, and some times there is no DC number uploaded, and my husband gets worried also when he doesn't see that number, so I understand your concern.

Other Answers: 7
jedgell233
Community Member
Answered
in reply to jedgell233

@Trinitybbal,

I think you as well for your latest answer which is more professional.  I am by no means mean any threat to anyone.  I've been on ebay for 'years' so know what to expect.  Its just new to me that an item doesn't have to be marked as shipped as this would be the first time in all of my purchases that it wasnt marked.

Also I have sold items in the past and made sure I had first class service in mind to those who bought my items.

trinitybball23
Community Member
Answered
in reply to jedgell233

If it's the Ninja Turtles DVD, it shows the estimated delivery time on there.  You cannot even open a claim until that latest date passes.  If it says estimated delivery: Oct. 29-Nov. 2, you cannot open a dispute until Nov. 3rd.  Also, $2.99 is most likely first class mail, not Priority.  As the others said, the seller is not obligated to mark the item shipped or give you a dc#.  The dc# shows delivery, not tracking.  I think you're being way too impatient.

=^^= Save a stray today.
mr_lees_deals
Community Member
Answered
in reply to jedgell233

We recommend allowing three weeks from payment before filing a dispute to allow for both the handling time of the seller and transit time of the carrier, for domestic sales, 4-5 weeks for international sales.

So you paid a whopping $2.99 for shipping, what's that got to do with anything?

Many of my items arrive with never being marked as shipping in eBay, no DC number being uploaded, no message from the seller. Many arrive with no DC either, the cheaper items that is.

You have no idea if the item was shipped or not.

LC

“Every sale has five basic obstacles: no need, no money, no hurry, no desire, no trust.” Zig Ziglar
gageman22
Community Member
Answered
in reply to jedgell233

How do you know that they haven't shipped? Sellers are not required to upload DC info, and some don't. Just wait until your expected delivery date has come and gone, then about 3 days after that, open a case if the seller will not respond to you. It is way to soon to worry. You have 45 days of seller protection. 

kraloe
Community Member
Answered
in reply to jedgell233

How do you know he hasn't shipped? You don't unless he said "I haven't shipped." A seller is not required to mark little icons in My eBay.

>>>Not to mention I was charged 2.99 shipping too<<<

What's your point? That's what it said on the listing. $2.99 was for Standard shipping, not some kind of overnite thing.

>>>then head over to the resolution center.<<<

Okey dokey.

jedgell233
Community Member
Answered
in reply to jedgell233

@Trinitybball,  the estimate time updates each day so your dates would be wrong in my case.  You can call me impatient if you'd like.  I am one who likes to know where the item is after purchase.

jedgell233
Community Member
Answered
in reply to jedgell233

Terry answered my question professionally.  Some of the answers I received, they can learn from him with giving an answer instead of being rude.

Sellers should be required to update ebay that the item has been shipped.  First time I've heard they didn't have to honestly.  I have been with ebay for many years and every seller except this last one has ALWAYS updated appropriately.

Also the reason I mentioned the shipping cost is because its an insult to get items I paid for the same day to be shipped to me with free shipping and then to wait for this other seller to let me even know whats going on.

Perhaps this is something Ebay should look into further.

Also for those who would think the I was going to the resolution center for the ebay protection for a refund is sorely wrong.  I've used it through paypal only once before and am not one who starts a case then expects a refund.   I'd rather get an answer than a refund if its an option.

Isn't that the point of the resolution center?  To help better communicate with the seller be with with ebay's help if all other communication fails?

I just felt some of the answers where leaning towards the opposite.

Anyways, this will be the last I go here for any help from such a community.