eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Accepted Solution
Do I need to fill out a customs form for an APO Address?

When I printed my shipping label, it indicated that I need to complete a customs form for an APO address. First of all, I do not even have my customers phone number, nor do I know how to read her address...it's all greek to me. I have not idea what the address is compared to the city or state that the customs form is asking for. Help!

Accepted Solutions: 2
jenny_lake
Community Member
Answered
in reply to lisas_fine_luxuries

Since you seem unfamiliar with APO/FPO mailings I am posting this mini-FAQ.
==================================================================

APO....Army Post Office
Serves members of Army, Air Force, and selected government employees stationed outside the US.

FPO....Fleet Post Office
Serves members of Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, and selected government employees stationed outside the US.

APO/FPO addresses are normally followed by a two letter code and a 5 digit zip/location code. Example: APO AA 34010

AE....Armed Forces and eligible US Government civilian employees residing in  Europe, Africa, Canada and the Middle East.   Mail is processed in New York City, NY

AP…. Armed Forces and eligible US Government civilian employees residing in Asia, Australia, and Pacific Islands.  Mail is processed in San Francisco, CA.

AA….. Armed Forces and eligible US Government civilian employees residing in South America, Central America and the Caribbean.   Mail is processed in Miami, FL.

Except for the requirement for a customs form, APO/FPO mail is handled/charged essentially the same as domestic mail. APO/FPO mail is handled by the USPS as domestic mail until it reaches the appropriate processing facility and then it is transferred to the military mail system for final delivery.

Private carriers (UPS/FEDEX/etc) cannot deliver to APO/FPO addresses. 

There are certain prohibitions for certain areas. The following website provides some excellent information on shipping to APO/FPO addresses. It also has a link to determine restrictions to any APO/FPO number.

http://www.oconus.com/ZipCodes.asp

Your postage costs are limited to the USPS charge to the US location of the appropriate USPS processing facility. Example: It costs you no more to send a USPS parcel post package to a service member in Korea (APO/FPO AP xxxxx) than to another buyer in the San Francisco Bay area.

Accountable mail services (insurance, certified) are available but many services such as Delivery Confirmation, Express, Priority are not available or only apply while the mail is within USPS control. Online tracking is not available.

Example: You send an item Priority Mail to APO AE xxxxx. The mailpiece would be handled as Priority Mail until it reached the processing plant in NYC at which time it would be transferred to military control and may/may not receive any special handling.

jenny_lake
Community Member
Answered

Yes, a customs declaration is required for a shipment to an APO address.

Read here to learn the proper format for APO addresses:

https://www.usps.com/ship/apo-fpo-guidelines.htm

Other Answers: 1
jackscurlock
Community Member
Answered

Good job, Jenny

captjack

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead.