eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Can I use a Regional Rate Box but pay regular Priority Mail prices?

Can I pay the regular Priority Mail prices when using a Regional Rate Box (when it calculates to be cheaper than the regional price)  I've called the national post office customer service about this, and they said yes, but can't point me to any documention to prove this.  They said as long as I am paying a Priority Mail Fee, it is fine and as long as I am not using a Flat Rate Box.  I recently had a box returned with postage due because of this, but I have done it several times without problem.  Can anybody confirm if this is allowed?

Other Answers: 9
22shoes
Community Member
Answered
in reply to thecorvetteshop

Regional Rate boxes can only be used if you are paying equivalent RR postage online.

For a RR box A, you would pay postage for a 2 lb package

For RR B, 4 lb

For RR C, 17 lb.

darkburst58
Community Member
Answered
Priority offers other size free boxes that ship at the regular Priority Rate. I have used shoe box size, board game size and they have other sizes available. These are usually kept behind the counter at the PO, and not on display like the flat rate. Ask your Postal Worker if they have Large Priority Boxes available.
shanechas
Community Member
Answered

NO,  Regional Rate boxes ARE FLAT RATE BOXES,  it says this on the box.  If you want to use Priority Mail rates then you have to use Priority Mail boxes that don't say FLAT RATE on them.  There are a number of different size Priority Mail boxes that you can order on-line and they will be shipped to your address for free.

puppybrowns
Community Member
Answered

I couldn't tell you for sure, but the one that came back postage due was because it is not always cheaper to use Regional boxes, esp if the item is under 2 lbs.

Instead, if you are sending items Priority mail, but don't want to pay for flat rate (or Regional rate for that matter), the PO offers FREE Priority mailing envelopes.  They are called specifially "Tyvek".  Ask for these and you can still mail PM without the added cost.

I now use these on most of the packages I send PM.

pmbooks
Community Member
Answered

The boxes say simply "Regional Rate Box A" (or B or C), they say nothing about a flat rate, nor in fact is it a flat rate. (If you ship it outside of your region, it will be a higher cost.)

I've been told that, like general priority mail boxes which can be used either within the US or internationally, they can be used for general priority mail shipping. Just be sure that the phrase "Regional Rate Box" is blacked-out.

That the USPS clerk who told me this might be wrong is a given, but I've not had a problem with this method. They still get their postage, and in most cases more since the regional rate can be lower within the given region.

puppybrowns
Community Member
Answered

Then, no I wouldn't.  You have already found that your items may be sent back to you OR the buyer will have to pay for the additional postage due if it is under the specified weight.

Find plain brown boxes from stores in your community to ship Priority if you do not want to pay the flat rate cost.

Community Member
Answered

I'm shipping larger items that won't fit the envelopes and need to use boxes.

itsoakside
Community Member
Answered

Thanks for these answers. I was sent a surprise pack of Regional Rate boxes to try a while back. The boxes seem exactly like other Priority Mail boxes, just with a few "Regional Rate" titles about the box, which are easily covered with Priority Mail stickers (free), rendering them fit for any Priority Mail usage. Once covered, I don't see how anyone would know they were Regional Rate boxes, unless they has sizes memorized or something. /theyreallydontcarethatmuch

puppybrowns
Community Member
Answered

darkburst, I didn't know that!  Thanks for that info. :smileyhappy: