eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Accepted Solution

Book Shipping Maximum Costs

I'm curious as to why I see dozens of books for sale with no shipping cost in accordance with the eBay policy which I quote here:

"in certain categories, sellers are required to specify at least one shipping cost less than or equal to a maximum shipping cost. The cost includes all shipping costs such as handling and required insurance. It applies only to the first flat rate shipping service you offer within or to the U.S."

I just looked through a few pages of a popular book (which weighs under 1 lb.) and easily found 10 violations of this policy in about 2 minutes.  If I can find these, can't eBay?  I find these violations multiple times during the day.

This is the policy on using calculated shipping -- "Note: If you're shipping a particularly large or heavy item in the Books, DVDs & Movies, Music, or Video Games category, you can use calculated shipping.  When you use calculated shipping, you can enter the actual size and weight of the item, including packing materials, to calculate the actual shipping cost. Make sure the calculated cost isn't higher than the actual shipping cost or it will be considered excessive shipping."

I use Auctiva and it won't let me list without one maximum rate.  I'm just curious as to your thoughts, particularly book sellers.  Thanks.

Please use plain text.
nobody*s_perfect
Community Member

Re: Book Shipping Maximum Costs

in reply to tita3334

If you need to charge more than $4 to ship a book  then you must set up the listing with calculated shipping, not a flat rate price for shipping.  Surely that's possible when using Auctiva? It's certainly possible when using the regular ebay listing form, or Turbolister.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to nobody*s_perfect

Well, I guess my point is that there seems to be a lot of evasion of the policy going on!  If calculated shipping is supposed to be used only for heavy books, and I find dozens of shipping for one book under one lb using calculated shippping, that hardly seems fair to those of us who are trying to abide by the rules. Thanks for your reply.

Please use plain text.
nobody*s_perfect
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to tita3334

At this time of year, sellers might have chosen to use calculated shipping so that Priority Mail rather than Media Mail could be shown as  the first option. Still, a 1- or 2-pound book would probably fit in a Priority padded flat-rate envelope, so the seller could have charged $4 flat rate shipping, and added $2 to the price of the book.

The policy about maximum media shipping rates has been in place since 2008 and I've never seen any indication that eBay has paid any attention to sellers choosing to use calculated shipping, such as reprimanding them for using it for lighter-weight books.

Please use plain text.
nowibuystuff
Community Member

in reply to tita3334

tita3334 wrote:

Well, I guess my point is that there seems to be a lot of evasion of the policy going on!  If calculated shipping is supposed to be used only for heavy books, and I find dozens of shipping for one book under one lb using calculated shippping, that hardly seems fair to those of us who are trying to abide by the rules. Thanks for your reply.

Learn to shop TOTAL Price

WHY do you care how another Seller splits the TOTAL Price?

Does it really matter if the book cost $10.00 with $9.00 shipping

OR

$19.00 with FREE shipping

OR

$15.00 with $4.00 shipping?

TOTAL Price is $19.00 in all 3 cases

AND eBay gets about the same in fees in all 3 cases

Delivery Confirmation is now called "Tracking"

BUT seems to still be Delivery Confirmation

Copy & Paste from USPS site >>

If you shipped with Express Mail®, you’ll get point-by-point tracking details. If you used another service—USPS Tracking™, Certified Mail™, Registered Mail™ —you’ll see when it went out for delivery.
Please use plain text.
black*max
Community Member

in reply to tita3334

tita3334 wrote:

If no shipping cost is shown the seller is using free shipping.

Without a shipping cost if you don't do free shipping the listing will not post.

photo tig02-1.jpg
-It's One World... One Family - It's time to grow up-
Please use plain text.
deserdog
Community Member

in reply to black*max

Another way to do it, and still abide by Ebays rules is to list the book in a category that it pertains to, like a book on locomotive in collectibles under transportation, railroads. Many just list a book, regardless of the subject, under books. If you list the book under the subject it covers, you can still mail media mail, but charge a fairer price for shipping. 

Please use plain text.
duchess-at-speakeasy
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to tita3334

You are misreading the statement.  Calculated shipping is AVAILABLE for mailing heavy books.  It is NOT limited to HEAVY objects, books or otherwise.

Let's say I want to mail a book weighing 12 ounces.  My choices are First Class Mail, Media Mail and Priority Mail.  Let's further stipulate that I am charging my customer the retail postage rate.

Using the eBay calculator, the respective rates are $3.60, $2.53 and variable zoned rates between $5.60 and $6.95.

Using the fixed-rate option, I can name any rate I wish, as long as at least 1 rate is at or below $4.00 when the book is listed in the Media category.

Both scenarios are perfectly legal and acceptable.  They do not violate any eBay policy.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess

To eBay, I think we hover somewhere between loathed, tolerated, and ignored.
Please use plain text.
nobody*s_perfect
Community Member

in reply to duchess-at-speakeasy

As tita quoted the policy : " If you're shipping a particularly large or heavy item in the Books, DVDs & Movies, Music, or Video Games category, you can use calculated shipping."  That seems pretty clear to me.

Please use plain text.