eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Youth Baseball Bats for 11 year

Hot Stove Coaches/Fathers/Players...need advice!

My 11 year old son played with 29 in 8.5 oz. TPX Platinum baseball bat last season and is ready to move up to a 30 in 8.5 oz., thus the question?

What is best bat to buy (all things considered - cost, performance, etc..). I have been looking at 2007 TPX Vexxum, Easton BZ811 HAVOC Triple Senior, Easton BT365 Redline CXN SR., Easton BT255 Connexion, Easton BX75 Senior League REFLEX Extended, TPX Response and TPX Warrior.

Any recomendations/comments appreciated....tk's, john
Please use plain text.
peepers*pond
Community Member

in reply to dancingsusters07
Hi, John...

When my son was 11, we didn't have a clue about bats, either. Basically, he used the ones provided by Little League until HE determined which one suited him best, then we went out & spent the money to buy him his first metal bat.

Now at 17, he has a strong preference for the Easton Reflex. We tried the DiM's... they were a disappointment (end caps unsealed easily).

I believe you're spec'ing out a 21 ounce bat? Make sure it's not too lightweight for your son.

Although I haven't surfed eBay lately for bats, there were some good deals on used ones a few months ago... you might consider this avenue first. Also, the various makers usually offer on-line sale prices on last year's models.

If your son is as dedicated to baseball as our son, be prepared to invest in several bats (& gloves & cleats, etc.) over the next few years.

Also be prepared to have a lot of fun watching him play :-)
rox9111
Please use plain text.
iwant4less
Community Member

John,

My son's have always had a preference for Easton bats. Have your son try different brands to see what works for him (just be careful swinging in a store)

You will want to check with the league your son plays in to see if they have an weight requirements for his level of play.

If your son will be playing high school ball in a few years, he will need to work his way to a -3 bat, and the more time he has playing with a -3 the better. Plan on purchasing a new bat every year.

You can find really good deals on new bats both current and prior year models on ebay. I don't recommend buying a used one, since you cannot really tell if it has any "off" areas that will effect the use.

If you want the name of a good ebay seller contact me.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

My son has used the Easton series bats for years. He always used a -8 and got use to the weight. When he went to middle school he was suddenly required to us the -3 bats. It took a lot of batting practice to get his bat speed back up where it should be.

I have several of his bats still if anyone is interested.
Please use plain text.
unclekipsy
Community Member

Hello...I coach Cal Ripken Baseball (Little League) and have 2 sons on Travel teams. Lots of variables in determining the best bat for you child. Is he required to use a Senior League Bat or a Youth Bat? At age 11, more likely a Youth Bat (2 1/4" diameter barrel). Is he strong? Is he tall? Does he make consistant contact with the ball? The #1 mistake made by parents is purchasing a "techno-bat". I describe a "techno-bat" as a very expensive bat with advanced features, such as composite alloys and woven design. Doesn't matter how fancy the bat is if the child has trouble making contact with the ball. Basic physics: the heavier the bat (more mass) the more energy can be imparted into the ball...that is providing the child is strong enough to get effective bat speed. That is where the length and weight come in. The difference between the length and weight is called the "drop". Weaker children should have a bigger drop so they can effectively have bat speed. The rule of thumb is have your child swing the heaviest (legal) bat possible that he/she can. Youth bats and senior League Bats have different drops and different barrel sizes as well. Also...aluminum grades and alloys have to be considered. I can go on....you son is 11, so is mine. If he is of good size and fairly strong, go with a 32/23 youth bat...avoid 7040 aluminum.....better with 7050. If you want a lighter bat, a bigger drop will be needed and a stronger lighter alloy may be called for....such as C405, CU31 etc. Easton Stealth's are very popular...but expensive. They have to "broken-in" properly as well. A reasonable bat (cost wise and strength wise), I have found, is a Demarini Nitro with 7050 aluminum....the newer Nitro's can be 7040 so you have to check. OR....simply let him try out many bats (borrow from team mates) and see which one he likes the best. To sum it up: Strong 11 year old I recommend a 32/23 or 31/22 with at least 7050 aluminum (not 7040). Weaker 11 year old you'll need a bigger drop and perhaps a fancier and more expensive alloy. Easton Reflex Ultra with C405 aluminum works well with my younger boy. He's 8 years old and swings a 30/19. Let your son try many bats and decide. See which works best for him. Good luck !!!
Please use plain text.
unclekipsy
Community Member

Me again.....In my last post I was referring to 7046 grade Aluminum as 7040. I meant 7046. Sorry about that.
Demarini Nitros can be either 7046 or 7050 so you have to be aware of that. The older Nitros are typically 7050. They are gray-silver in color with the "NITRO" in red-orange flames. There is a Texas seller on eBay right now with numerous older Nitros beginning at $9.99. He calls them 2006 models....they may be older but still all are new in wrappers....doesn't matter their year of manufacture. My sons performed well with the Nitro 7050.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hello...I appreciate your email. Coaching and having two boys in travel ball must keep you very busy during the summer and perhaps beyond.
We live in Stow, OH (close to Akron). My 11 year old plays Stow Youth Baseball (Hot Stove affiliation). We are next door to Tallmadge, Oh which historically, a real hot bed for good programs (they go to the World every few years. Most of the boys use senior -8.5 oz. bats (or lower) at 2-5/8 to 2-3/4. Range in length is 28” to 31”. My son is 59” tall and weighs 116 lbs (is in 5th grade). He has played youth football for 3 years, just finishing up first year of wrestling, so is fairly strong. He has played baseball since T-ball. (no travel ball). He is an average player…(runs hot and cold on consistency. He has been using a 29” TPX Platinum -8.5 oz. that I bought new a Dick’s Sprting goods. I paid sale price of $79.00 (retailed for approx. $129.00). He hit better with it last year vs. previous. Since I posted email requesting advice, I bought on Ebay a used 30”, 2-3/4”, -8.5 oz. Easton Gen 1X Deuce model SL304 (approx. 2005 model) for $22.00. Idea was to see how my son adjusts to bat 1” longer and a little heavier. In addition, a local store called “Play it Again Sports”, who buys/sells new and used sports equipment had a good buy on a new Easton Rebel Sc888 for $63.00 (retails approx. $130.00), so I bought this bat. Idea is that would have could practice bat for cages/practice and a new bat for games (I also bought a sleeve for new bat to keep it in decent shape, if were to use for practice).
What do you think of these bats? I’m not sure what grade aluminum is used in these bats? (I hope 7050 aluminum).
I appreciate your comments & description on mistakes made by parents in purchasing a costly "techno-bat", as I have seen them in stores, but did not see any of the kids on our team (or others using) using last year, or at our first indoor practice this past weekend.
From your description, your 11 year old is a more advanced player stronger than mine. (your 8 year old sounds strong as well). I know my son would struggle with a 31/32…just doesn’t have that good of swing. In fact, at tryouts…I probably should have had him use last year’s 29” bat, as he seemed to hit the 30” better choking up and inch, although only had two practice sessions in cages prior to batting cage tryout…so is still rusty. I believe that with practice, he should be able to handle the 30” (having bought two of them, I hope so!!!).
I have read and heard that Easton Stealth's are very popular, and as you say expensive. When you say "broken-in" properly…can you elaborate further? I am interested in the Demarini Nitro with 7050 aluminum you described, so will arrange to look at. Weather is still lousy in Ohio, we will start to get out doors some in April.
Will also look at others you recommended (Easton Reflex Ultra with C405 aluminum). Hopefully, some of his team mates will have bought some new bats since last year (the bats provided by the league are pretty crappy!).
Thank’s for taking the time to send respond to my email. I’m 52 years old with 3 kids (girls 13 & 9, son 11), and always looking for good advice and recommendations from knowledgeable people. Getting advice from a coach who knows what he’s talking about is much appreciated.
Rgds, john
Please use plain text.
unclekipsy
Community Member

Hi John...I'm a 50 yr. old with 3 kids as well. I've probably spent too much time reading about baseball bats but try to give my sons the best advantage possible. The SE corner of Connecticut produces tough Cal Ripken Teams. Very often they are state Champs. Last season Danbury,CT 10 yr. olds were CT State and NE Regional champs. Newtown was #2 in the state. My oldest son played against both of these teams in tourneys and did well. Enough "crowing".....let's talk bats. I'm surprised that your 11 yr. old can use a Sr. League bat (big barrel 2 3/4" or 2 5/8"). Here the kids cannot use Sr. League bats until Babe Ruth Baseball (about 13 yrs. old). We have to use youth bats (2 1/4" barrel). Max length for youth bat is 32". So a strong kid can go 32/23 but I wouldn't go heavier. Your son sounds strong enough to go longer than 29". The 30" you purchased sounds good...even though I cannot understand why your league can use Sr. League bats at age 11. The Easton Rebel SC888 is a good bat with scandium alloy. (Also good to keep it nice looking with a sleeve like you did). The bat alloys vary and it's hard to argue which is best. The strength of the alloy determines how thick the walls can be manufactured to withstand the "load" of a baseball collision. 7046 and 7050 are not as fancy (nor expensive) as other alloys like SC888. The SC888 allows thinner walls (and lighter weight) while the 7046 and 7050 need ever-so-slightly thicker walls to handle the "load" and thus they typically don't have as big a drop as a fancy alloyed bat. The recent L.L.World series showcased the "STEALTH" bats. These "Techno" bats have composite metals and woven designs. They brag about "trampoline effect" and "whip-like effect". Trampoline effect (or rebound) is the decompression on the composite metal and rebounding of the metal (like gently indenting a car fender and having the dent pop back up into place)and the whip-like effect is is like swinging a whip where the end of the whip lags slightly behind the handle and the energy is transferred to the end of the whip. All fancy ideas...BUT remember...all the bats have to conform to standards that do not exceed the capabilities of a wooden bat swung by a major leaguer. There are agencies that test these things. The conclusion that I have read is that the STEALTH may get an extra 5 to 7 per cent more energy on the batted baseball. Now.....is it worth the extra money for the fancy features? Who's to say? These bats have to be broken in properly by hitting at least 200 baseballs (not dimple balls) while rotating the bat and distributing the compressions equally. Also...it is not recommended to use the STEALTH in temps below 60 degrees Farenheit...supposedly more brittle and susceptible to breakage below 60 degrees. They actually make bat warmers for these bats! WOW !! Lots of crazy info, yes ??? YES ! --- Anywhoose...I think the Easton SC888 will work for your son. Like I said before....let him try his teammates bats. Oh!...one last secret...besides helping the kids with hitting and body mechanics, I spend alot of time teaching them to practice focusing with their eyes....when warming up, don't swing indiscriminately....but focus on an object as if it was a ball in flight approaching the plate. I talk too much, don't I ? I enjoy this stuff. Nice chatting. - Keith
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Depends on the material and price. Take a look at www.baseballbatreviews.ruqqa.com for some very useful information to help in your decision.
Please use plain text.