eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

pennlocalauctions
Community Member

What does the POCKET KNIFE Marking: Imperial Prov RLA Mean?

I can't make out this marking on the knife. In a search I see some Imperial knives from Ireland and wonder if what I see is Imperial Province of Ireland or something like that. Thank you.
Seize the Day!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: What does the POCKET KNIFE Marking: Imperial Prov RLA Mean?

in reply to pennlocalauctions
Providence Rhode Island.
Hey You....................................Who Me...
Please use plain text.
thelmasstuff
Community Member

I'd like to see a photo. I don't see how Prov., RI gets mutated into Prov RLA. There's nothing imperial about Providence, except maybe it's a brand of knife. I seriously doubt it means Rhode Island as I live in Mass. near the RI border and I've never seen it abbreviated like that.
Please use plain text.
thelmasstuff
Community Member

I stand corrected. The Imperial Knife Co. was in Providence, Rhode Island.

The RLA may be the model code.

Imperial Knife Company, Inc., Providence, Rhode Island
Imperial and Schrade Cutlery have combined and now are called Schrade Cutlery - Imperial Schrade Corporation. A short history can be found at: http://www.schradeknives.com/about.htm

The Imperial Knife Company was established in Providence, Rhode Island in 1916, and grew to manufacture a full range of value-priced folding pocket knives.

In 1941, Albert M. Baer, whose vision guided Imperial Schrade Corp., purchased the Ulster Knife Company, which was founded in Ellenville, New York in the 1870's. In 1942, Ulster Knife Company and Imperial Knife Company joined forces to become Imperial Knife Associated Companies. As Ulster and Imperial joined forces, they committed themselves to producing knives for the military throughout World War II.

During the 1950s through the 1980s, Imperial produced many of the bayonets supplied to the US armed forces, including the M5, M5A1, M6 and M7. Imperial Knife experienced extremely strong growth throughout the late 70's. As Imperial Knife entered the 80's, a consolidation took place and the company divested itself of various holdings.

In 1983, Albert M. Baer purchased the stock of all shareholders in Imperial Knife Associated Companies and became the sole owner of the privately held cutlery giant. In 1985, the name of the company was changed from Imperial Knife Associated Companies to Imperial Schrade Corp. and in the next few years all of the production facilities were moved to Ellenville, NY.

In 2004, Imperial Schrade Corp. will celebrate its 100th anniversary. The Imperial Schrade Corps world headquarters in scenic Ellenville, New York has more than 548,000 square feet of manufacturing space and employs more than 450 people dedicated to producing the world's finest pocket knives, lock backs, fixed blades, cutlery for the outdoor and hunting markets and multi-tools. Additionally, as part of their global strategy, Schrade's manufacturing assets include the Listowel, Ireland facility which employs over 70 people.

A fairly late production Imperial M4 bayonet with the Hemphill Products butt plate. The staked pins show this to be post February 1945 production. Imperial used a very sharp 90 degree corner in their runout, unlike most companies that used a slight curve in the corner. The finish on Imperial M4 bayonets tends to be a thin and light gray color. Note the deep V grooves of the grip, and the use of plastic spacers at each end. An earlier Standard Products plate is shown in the inset at upper left, from another Imperial M4.

Production contracts for Imperial were:

Quantity
Price
Award Date
Contract #
Finish Date
Notes

06/27/1944
W19-020-ORD-2480
12/1944
First Award for the M4 Bayonet

10/17/1944
W19-020-ORD-3621
06/1945
New Award

01/02/1945
W19-020-ORD-4104
08/1945
New Award

03/29/1945
W19-020-ORD-4626
06/1945
New Award. Price Increase due to butt subcontractor price increase (Hemphill?)

04/24/1945
W19-020-ORD-5184
Start 9/45

End 12/45
New Award
Probably Terminated

Approximate number delivered by Imperial: 917,894
Please use plain text.
pennlocalauctions
Community Member

Mystery solved - I got new glasses. It was Providence RI - and the A was the bottom of a vertical USA. Thanks for the info.
Seize the Day!
Please use plain text.
thelmasstuff
Community Member

It's been that kind of a day. I had to call my brother and ask him for the name of a place near his house that sells hardware from demolished buildings - couldn't remember the word Salvage. Then my friend called to ask what the place is where actors change clothes - Dressing Room. I think it's the humidity.
Please use plain text.
pennlocalauctions
Community Member

I think it's the age bracket being revealed. :-)
Seize the Day!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I have an old Boy Scout knife and it's marked " Imperial Prov. U.S.A."
Please use plain text.
ruffbnme
Community Member

I have an Imperial knife...9 3/4...black handle...does NOT have the "teeth" on the top side...marked on only 1 side..."Imperial...Prov. R.I.USA...has the crown above the "ria" in Imperial...comes with a 4 blade "Kamp King"...like a boy scout knife...3 3/4 inches...also says "Imperial Prov. R.I. USA" with the "USA" running vertical to the right of "I.P.R.I"....does NOT have the crown on the blade....both are in a sheath....the smaller knife rides "piggy back" with separate, yet attached, sheath....can post photo.....would you like to give me input on it?...i know i would like to have any info you might have!
thanks,
Ruff
Please use plain text.
Community Member

A photo would help, also start a fresh post-
Hey You....................................Who Me...
Please use plain text.
Community Member

It says    Imperial   U

S

Prov  RI   A

Meanning   Imperial knife co. Providence Rohde Island   UAS

Please use plain text.
Community Member

What they said. O_o

http://stores.ebay.com/Knives-More

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Where the word "Imperial" is stamped into the blade, just past it, VERTICALLY (up and down), is USA.  The "A" you are referring to is the "A" in "USA".

The knife was made in the USA, in Providence, RI.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

what it actually says is Providence, R I, If you look closer, you'll see that the A is part of USA running vertical to the other printing.

Please use plain text.