eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

reneesfabulous
Community Member

How do you ship a snowboard?

I listed before I thought, but how do you ship a snowboard? Is there a box big enough? Please help so I can ship when necessary.
Thanks,
Renee
reneesfabulous
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to reneesfabulous
I shipped a board.I went to my local home depot.They had a ton of long boxes perfect for the board.I asked the employee's if I could snag 1 that they were going to throw away,and they said yep,yep!!Beats buying a box,or digging in the dumpster.;-)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Generally I'd put it in a box, put a lable on it, and take it to my local UPS store.

Of course, there's a cheap way to mail it. You can ship it anywhere in the USA for $4.05 via Priority Mail... packing usually involves a woodchipper, but, then again, I'm a skier and we don't like snowboarders. :smileywink: ________________________________
Gun control defined: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft and murder will obey a law prohibiting them from owning a firearm.

Join 2nd Amendment Freedom Sellers at http://groups.ebay.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1500000896
Please use plain text.
reneesfabulous
Community Member

Thank you both for the suggestions. Where would I find a very tall, wide box big enough for the board though?
Thanks,
Renee
reneesfabulous
Please use plain text.
Community Member

does home depot really sell long boxes? What I have been doing is getting 4 USPS Priority mail boxes (14x12x3) I tear the seam part so I can flip the box to the brown side. Then I connect all four with the sticky stuff already on the box. Then I add lots of tape to make it sturdy.
Please use plain text.
reneesfabulous
Community Member

That sounds good. I suppose I will have to "make" a box out of more boxes.
Thanks!
reneesfabulous
Please use plain text.
Community Member

heres what I made today to ship a snowboard that was 166cm

Please use plain text.
Community Member

QUOTE: does home depot really sell long boxes? What I have been doing is getting 4 USPS Priority mail boxes (14x12x3) I tear the seam part so I can flip the box to the brown side. Then I connect all four with the sticky stuff already on the box. Then I add lots of tape to make it sturdy.

That is NOT LEGAL. You are not allowed to use those free boxes for anything except the intended purpose, which is priority mail. I believe it even says so on the side of the box. If the postmaster catches you doing that, not only will your package be returned to you, but you can be subject to prosecution (probably a fine).

The USPS does inspect packages and anything that appears to be a Priority Mail box that has been tampered with, including being turned inside out or even covered in brown paper is recognized by the better-trained USPS employees (yes, they do exist). ________________________________
Gun control defined: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft and murder will obey a law prohibiting them from owning a firearm.

Join 2nd Amendment Freedom Sellers at http://groups.ebay.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1500000896
Please use plain text.
reneesfabulous
Community Member

Good packaging job! I don't know how or what I should do, seeing as I have the bindings attached. I will have to become very creative if it should sell.
Renee
reneesfabulous
Please use plain text.
Community Member

You are not allowed to use those free boxes for anything except the intended purpose, which is priority mail.

Well I ship my snowboards with USPS using Priority...
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Well I ship my snowboards with USPS using Priority...

Then you're fine, so long as you're not using the FLAT RATE boxes. ________________________________

Please use plain text.
reneesfabulous
Community Member

I thought Priority had a weight limit?

Why wo
reneesfabulous
Please use plain text.
reneesfabulous
Community Member

I thought Priority had a weight limit?

Why would you ship something so heavy and extra large Priority, just wondering?:smileyindifferent:
reneesfabulous
Please use plain text.
Community Member

well a typical snowboard weighs around 9-10 pounds and it is considered an extra large package because of length. But it usually only cost around 20-30 to ship with USPS Priority. Sometimes cheaper than UPS and FedEx because when the length is over 60" then FedEx/UPS add on extra oversize cost which makes it about the same.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Priority does not have a weight limit if you use flat-rate boxes. You can literally fill them with concrete, seal the box up, and ship it for $8.10 all day long. ________________________________

Please use plain text.
reneesfabulous
Community Member

I finished my box and it looks pretty good. I managed to make a box with two large boxes from Office Depot, a lot of cutting and taping. I kept the bindings on AND squeezed the boots in! It cost about 12 dollars more than what I had quoted, but it's okay. I don't think I'll sell anything that big again!

Thanks for all your help guys!
Renee
reneesfabulous
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Shipping a snowboard 101:
Boards in cardboard weigh about 10lbs
Shipping companies charge by weight and volume (width X height X length)So make that box fit TIGHT around the board and bubble wrap.
FedEx does not do "insurance" but for $1 or so more you can "declare" the item to be over $100 and give you a fighting chance if you do try to make a claim.
UPS charges $1 per $100 value but the first $100 in insurance is included in the shipping price.
USPS is the cheapest for ground but they don't give a tracking number which just stinks no matter how you slice it.
My last board was USPS-$30, FedEx-$34, USPS, $45... so I went with FedEx. I hope this helps someone outhere and a lot of good Karma flows my way. Thanks
Please use plain text.
Community Member

helped a lot, i will be shipping my board fedex. thanks
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Go to a archery store or a sportsmans warehouse. Anywhere that sells compound bows. I use them all the time, the snowboard slips right down inside safely and ships priority mail for around 20.00
Please use plain text.
snowbirdmn74
Community Member

Re: How do you ship a snowboard?

Drop one large piece of cardboard on the bottom side of the board.  Make sure it goes about 1 inch beyond all edges.  Get a piece you can fold over about 5 inches on each tip then tape it.  Put cardboard over the bindings like mini boxes.  The tape them over to protect.  Now pull out a huge roll of bubble wrap and wrap it up tight and plaster it with tape.  Done.....  

This is the most cost effective and efficient way I've been able to figure out how to ship snowboards and preserve the integrity in the shipment process.

Please use plain text.