eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Happy Kwanza

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Fake North Face Outerwear.

I was browsing through listings for North Face tonight and was really surprised at how many people are paying big bucks for fake North Face stuff. I'd highly recommend you do a little research first. My $.02.
Community Member

Re: Fake North Face Outerwear.

in reply to _campygirl_
Thanks, campygirl. How can you tell they're fake? Is there some clue? I mean, obviously the seller isn't going to say so...or are they advertising it as "just like" or "just as good as" North Face??

The thought of fake underwear tickled me, too, but my mind runs in odd circles, as some of the folks on this board can testify to. I envisioned two caps tied to together being sold as "fake" bras and those plastic grocery bags with handles being called "briefs"!! LOL!

Ree
Community Member

in reply to _campygirl_
The first thing to look for is taped seams. Any legitimate garment manufacturer that uses Gore-Tex has to tape the seams of the garment on the inside, otherwise it is not truly waterproof as water can come in through the thousands of needle holes, rendering the Gore-Tex not so useful. There is a perfect example of a shady piece on Ebay right now. It's a lovely shade of yellow and if you look at the picture of the inside of the coat, you can see the yellow and black color panels of the exterior of the coat. The same view of a coat that really has Gore-Tex would be generally black or grey mesh with a white background(white being the Gore-Tex membrane), and you wouldn't see such a drastic difference between the color panels from the inside. Ask the seller for a close up picture of a seam juncture as you can usually see, even from the outide when a seam has been taped on the inside. Feel free to email me for a pic of a taped seam so you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about. Also, that same yellow coat has a powder skirt that looks like it's made of grandma's old curtains, and it's sewn in to the coat on the ends, rendering it useless. Powder skirts need to be free at the ends and have snaps or velcro so you can snug it around your waist, preventing snow from getting up your back and to control heat loss to a lesser extent. Those big styling snaps on the exterior of the coat aren't looking too authentic to me. Visit the North Face web page to get an idea of the aesthetics of a real NF coat and you'll see what I mean. I'm not trying to ruin anyone's livelihood, but I work in a gear shop and have seen one too many people get a piece of crap coat in exchange for their hard earned money. Trust me, it's worth it to spend a little more to get the real thing.
Community Member

in reply to _campygirl_
Wow, I didn't think about all those things! Bet most folks don't, either. Thanks for the info. I'm going to copy/paste to my hard drive the stuff you mentioned.

Oh, I believe in the saying "You get what you pay for"! Sometimes there are good deals, but when it comes to quality clothes and camping gear, I stick with brands that are known to be dependable and long-wearing. I don't have a lot of money to spend and don't want to waste it on something that's going to wear out and need to be replaced frequently or else not do the job I need it to do.

And that's great advice, too, about visiting the company's site. Good for anything brand name you intend to buy through eBay or any discount store, etc. Know what you're looking for, go armed with information, and be a smart shopper!

Thanks again, campygirl! And welcome to the board, too!

K
Community Member

Fake North Face Outerwear.

in reply to _campygirl_
There are Fake North Face Jackets being auctioned like crazy right now! It really is sad to see all these people bidding High dollars thinking they are getting a real TNF jacket. The majority of these are coming from China. How come nothing is done about this???
Community Member

in reply to _campygirl_
I created a website dedicated to this topic. You may message me for more information.
Community Member

in reply to _campygirl_
I have just returned a fake one to the seller (cdferzin). Luckily I got my money back, but I still lost money on the transaction (return shipping cost). I thought I was getting an authentic TNF jacket but when it arrived I instantly knew that it was a fake. Another ebayer contacted me today who also bought a fake TNF jacket from this same seller.
Community Member

in reply to _campygirl_
I have as well returned the FAKE North face Jacket to the seller (cdferzin) Thanx to this brilliant feedback I have checked the seams and they were not taped at all
Community Member

in reply to _campygirl_
I purchased a TNF backpack, "Big Shot" from ebay and was wondering if anyone has information of Fake North Face Backpacks, do they exsist? Thanks!
Community Member

in reply to _campygirl_
bump :smileyhappy:
Community Member

in reply to _campygirl_
It seems like there has been a burst of "North Face Summit Series Gore Windstopper" jackets listed on ebay within 1 week or so. Does anyone know if these jackets are real? I'm skeptical for three reasons: 1. these jackets are supposed to be retail priced at $159, but the sellers are offering buy it now price of $60 with free worldwide shiping. 2. one of the sellers, notably (aarontalbot), is selling the fake "2 in 1 XCR north face jackets". 3. When i asked one of the sellers if the jacket is authentic, she didn't believe it to be.

So.. those of you who are wanting to bid on these cheap North Face jackets, beware! happy bidding!!
Community Member

in reply to _campygirl_
the jackets by 'mountainexpeditions'

can anyone confirm if these are authentic?

Community Member

in reply to _campygirl_
There seems to be alot of this fake north face stuff going on and people don't seem to realise. I am bidding on a TNF jacket at the moment and I am starting to realise that it is probably a fake. Best advice I have heard is that if it sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true.
Community Member

in reply to _campygirl_
I know that the Chinese are knocking off North Face. Several guys I know that make frequent business trips there all have fake parkas for which they paid about $25.
Community Member

in reply to _campygirl_
hi, i just purchased this jacket for an incredibly low price. i didnt even think about it as a possible fake until i already paid. will someone check this out & tell me their opinion?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3929124330&ssPageName=ADME:B:BN:US:1

thanks
Community Member

in reply to _campygirl_
> I have just returned a fake one to the seller (cdferzin).
>
How come you didn't leave him/her any negative feedback to warn others - that would have been very helpful and the whole reason to have feedback...

S/he has one negative only about a headlamp.

peter
p.s. Assume that all North Face jackets are fake unless coming from a reputable retailer and bid accordingly - otherwise go after another quality brand which is not being ripped off!
Community Member

in reply to _campygirl_
I have been ripped off a couple of times and I just realized it. I wonder why I got it so cheap!
Community Member

in reply to _campygirl_
I bought this one off ebay, http://cgi1.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemWithCategory&item=3693625540 can anyone tell if its fake? it has taped seams, hard card goretex tag (with the correct spelling) but still not sure if its real... the thing that bugs me is, the zipper is on the left for the fleece, which I might add didnt come with it... take care!!!!
Community Member

in reply to _campygirl_
Could the North Face tents be fake as well?
Community Member

in reply to _campygirl_
To answer my own question it seems that there are also fake North Face tents... just great... :-(

http://www.everestnews2004.com/4002expcoverage/dutchmteverest2004dis6.htm