eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

What does the EBAY in EBAY mean?

I'm trying to figure out what EBAY means. Is it an acronym or a mnemonic? I have checked the history and the help section of the ebay web site, and I did a google search, but to no avail.

If I am missing something and there is a link which explains what ebay means, please direct me there, or of course you can let me know here.

Eric
Please use plain text.
cruentidei
Community Member

Re: What does the EBAY in EBAY mean?

in reply to originaldiode
"E" is obviously "electronic". I'm not sure what "bay" means.
Please use plain text.
cruentidei
Community Member

One of their support groups is called "safeharbor", so it's possible that eBay means a safe friendly place to stop by on the internet. :-)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

East bay is what it started out as I think....
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Funny, I would hope someone from EBAY would know.

I thought it might have been East Bay, but I heard on CNET this morning that it doesn't mean that, but they didn't say what it means.
Eric
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Hi everyone,

According to our founder, Pierre Omidyar, eBay stands for electronic Bay. This is partially because Pierre was living in the south Bay area when he founded the company.

For more information please click on the following URL

http://pages.ebay.com/community/aboutebay/overview/management.html

Maeve
Meet others who share your interests. Join an eBay Group today!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Obviously it means Exciting Bidding At Your (convience...) LOL...
Please use plain text.
n.s.sherlock
Community Member

It is explained somewhere on my ME page.

Merry Christmas all.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I suppose this is old news, but I will put my 2 cents in anyway.

I don't think it really has any meaning. When Pierre Omidyar, the developer of eBay, made a trip to Sacramento, Ca. to incorporate his current and future business endeavors under a single holding company using a favorite name - Echo Bay, the clerk at the state capital informed him that that name had already been taken. So he shot back with eBay - the clerked checked it out and well, we all know the rest of the story.

This came from The Official eBay Bible by Jim Griffith so we have it on good authority.

Bil
Please use plain text.
Community Member

"bay" usually means:
1. a body of water forming an indentation of the shoreline, larger than a cove but smaller than a gulf.
2. South Atlantic States. an arm of a swamp.
3. a recess of land, partly surrounded by hills.

but in this way I believe it means a large "area".
Please use plain text.
Community Member

BTW-why write founder is Pierre Omidyar
when Google founders are Larry Page and Sergey Brin?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

And whats ebay got to do with google, I dont see your connection
Please use plain text.
Community Member

The online auction web site was founded in San Jose, California on September 3, 1995 by computer programmer Pierre Omidyar as AuctionWeb, part of a larger personal site that included, among other things, Omidyar's own tongue-in-cheek tribute to the Ebola virus.

The very first item sold on eBay was a broken laser pointer for $14.83. Astonished, Omidyar contacted the winning bidder and asked if he understood that the laser pointer was broken. In his responding email, the buyer explained: "I'm a collector of broken laser pointers." The frequently repeated story that eBay was founded to help Omidyar's fiancée trade PEZ Candy dispensers was fabricated by a public relations manager in 1997 to interest the media. This was revealed in Adam Cohen's 2002 book and confirmed by eBay.

Chris Agarpao was hired as eBay's first employee and Jeff Skoll was hired as the first president of the company in 1996. In November 1996, eBay entered into its first third-party licensing deal, with a company called Electronic Travel Auction to use SmartMarket Technology to sell plane tickets and other travel products. The company officially changed the name of its service from AuctionWeb to eBay in September 1997. Originally, the site belonged to Echo Bay Technology Group, Omidyar's consulting firm. Omidyar had tried to register the domain name echobay.com(this company's slogan is now "What eBay could have been.") but found it already taken by the Echo Bay Mines, a gold mining company, so he shortened it to his second choice, eBay.com.

eBay went public in 1998, and both Omidyar and Skoll became instant billionaires. The company purchased PayPal on October 14 2002.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Dear ponds4less:
I would really like to write a paper on how ebay got its name for school. However, I am required to cite my sources. Can you please tell me how you acquired this information? We are supposed to write a paper on how to name businesses, I want to make this a funny paper and simply discuss how ebay got its name. I dont think she will give me a good grade for not commiting to the assignment, but at least we will all get a good laugh. I appreciate your help in resolving this issue.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I know I'm 7 years late on this discussion, but I stumbled upon this today. LOL. I had a dog named Ebay before this company was created. We named him that based on a swahili word for black, "ebay". Ironically the dog was white. So maybe eBay means..."Black" Market?!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Am I the only one who sees that ebay is pig latin for be? Oh, and god spelled backwards is dog.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

electronic bidding and yearning
Please use plain text.
Community Member

i like to know , what ebay mean ?

is it ,
E- everything
B- buy
a- association
Y- your self ?

it's hard, but really love to know what's mean .

thank you

nada
Please use plain text.
Community Member

To put the End to this topic :smileyhappy:

Originally, the site belonged to Echo Bay Technology Group, Omidyar's consulting firm. Omidyar had tried to register the domain name echobay.com, but found it already taken by the Echo Bay Mines, a gold mining company, so he shortened it to his second choice, eBay.com

Source
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Ebay: Electronic Bid Auction Yard that is what it stand for.

Please use plain text.