eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
abuttonlady
Community Member

EMAIL you THINK might be from "eBay"...Scam Spam...Account THEFT ..takeovers...hijacking. STAY SAFE

Account theft ..takeovers...hijacking...
Getting Spoof emails from trusted websites is becoming an all too prevalent scenario on the internet.
This post includes a number of TIPS to protect yourself:

Click the HELP link on eBay's Navigation bar and find this resulting page:
Help index

On the Left side,See the Security Center

Then by exploring the links, you will find a number of pages dealing with the subject of account safety.
On the "protecting your eBay account page, there is
Account theft info
Look for the Live Help button for a direct line to immediate help from a Live chat person specialized in Account Theft.

More Helpful Links:
Use eBay's Toolbar to help protect your account.

Identity Theft

spoof email

The Live Help link from the home page is great for answers you can't find anywhere else.
Members on the boards are very helpful too.

eBay takes Account Theft issues very seriously. Please know that once you report them that eBay is taking action.

If you recieve emails asking for your personal info...forward them, with headers, to
spoof@ebay.com

WITH headers...how to get these:
Spam Cop

Headers

Do NOT post your email address to the boards...
even in asking for help or a response to a thread....

Rules and Safety
then click: account concerns/ unauthorized use of my eBay account/there are auctions listed on my account that are not mine.

Contact this LIVE help specifically for Account takeover problemsAccount Theft Chat
found on this page:Account Theft Reporting

*Further info*

Please remember that eBay or PayPal NEVER ask for your Social Security Number, Passwords, PINs or mother's maiden name in an email.

*password safety* Password Tips
Make sure the password for your email program is very secure. Use a combination of numbers and letters and change it periodically. The same applies for the password hint question. It's also important to use different passwords for the various online accounts you use (Paypal, online banking, etc).

In the instance that you have responded to a SPOOF email with your personal information
Please change your eBay password and password hint. In addition,you may want to do the following for your protection of your personal information and identity:

A) cancel your credit cards immediately

B) file a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where it was stolen, because this proves to credit providers you were diligent, and is a first step toward an investigation (if there is one).

AND NOW MOST IMPORTANTLY:

C) Call the three national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and SS#.

The numbers are:
Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742
Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289

Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271

Finally, identity theft is handled by U.S. Postal Inspectors as mail fraud. Make online reports at: usps.com
http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/welcome.htm

If you don't have a firewall on your computer...get one.
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp
Here is a free one at zonealarm.com or zonelabs
there are websites to use to test your security as well.
http://www.securitymetrics.com/portscan.adp

If you would like to post emails you have received, as a warning to others. Please Kill/delete the links in them. Clicking there is NOT safe, you can pick up spyware. When viewing questionable links, it is safer to copy and paste into your browser than to CLICK

Please use plain text.
abuttonlady
Community Member

Re: EMAIL you THINK might be from "eBay"...Scam Spam...Account THEFT ..takeovers...hijacking. STAY SAFE

in reply to abuttonlady
Protect Yourself from Hackers, Cybercriminals, and Internet Threats

Using a firewall is as important as using an antivirus program. Perhaps you are aware of this, but haven’t had the time to research firewall products. Or maybe you have a home network that uses a router and feel that the router offers enough firewall protection.

Either way, you want to be sure that your computer or network is protected against multiple threats, and hope the following information will help you decide which PC security solution is best for you.

Why do I need a firewall?

A firewall acts as a first line of defense for securing your computer. It creates a protective barrier between your computer and potentially harmful content on the Internet. It helps keep hackers out and stops the spread of many computer viruses and worms.

What is the difference between a software firewall and hardware firewall (often known as a router)?

Software firewalls are an essential computer security component, even if your computer is connected to a router. While routers (sometimes called hardware firewalls) protect computers from incoming hackers, they do not protect against the multi-layered attacks often used by cybercriminals. Software firewalls protect computers at all layers, preventing incoming intrusions such as hackers, as well as outbound attacks like malicious code “phoning home” and worms sending out your personal information.

Please use plain text.
abuttonlady
Community Member

Re: EMAIL you THINK might be from "eBay"...Scam Spam...Account THEFT ..takeovers...hijacking. STAY SAFE

in reply to abuttonlady
Announcement Board post
***Protect Yourself From Spoof Emails***

Some community members have received deceptive emails claiming to come from eBay. Fraudsters who send these emails hope that recipients will reply or click on a link contained in the email and then provide personal information (i.e., eBay passwords, social security numbers and credit card numbers). We refer to these emails as “Spoof Emails.”

We encourage you to be cautious when responding to any email request for personal information. Remember, if you are ever asked to provide information to eBay, you can simply open a new browser, type www.ebay.com, sign-in, and use the Site Map to navigate the site.

You can also take a few simple steps to protect your account and prevent senders of spoof emails from doing harm:

1.Be sure you are on an eBay page – It is generally not a good idea to click on links in an email. However, if you do, be sure that you are signing into a genuine eBay web site by looking at the address/location area of your browser. At an eBay.com sign-in or log-in page, the URL (link) that appears in the address/location area of your browser will begin with "http://cgi.ebay.com/", "https://scgi.ebay.com/" or "http://signin.ebay.com/". Please pay close attention to all characters in the address, including the forward slash (/) that follows "ebay.com". Even if the address/location includes the word "ebay", it may not be a genuine eBay web site.

2. Report Fraudulent Email -- If you have any doubt whether an email is from eBay, use your email client’s “forward” feature to forward a copy of it to spoof@ebay.com immediately with full header information, if possible. If you have already replied to the fraudulent email, contact your bank and/or credit card companies immediately to prevent identity theft.

3. Check Your Account – eBay recommends checking your My eBay and Account Preferences periodically to ensure that no one has tampered with your account.

Your vigilance helps us ensure that eBay remains a safe and vibrant online marketplace. For more information on how to protect your eBay password and your account, please visit the eBay Security Center. You can access the Security Center by clicking on Help from the Navigation Bar at the top of every eBay page, then clicking on the "Security Center" link.

regards eBay

Please use plain text.
abuttonlady
Community Member

in reply to abuttonlady
HI-JACKED ACCOUNTS: When shopping for high dollar items...
"how do you know and what to watch out for?"

*ID card and item location that does NOT match

*total departure from usual items sold...and prices. IE...all buyer feedback now selling $1400 item.

* scammers may use all the bells and whistles...ie: featured, featured plus, gift icon... heck they are not paying for them, why should they care.

*They usually just change the email addy of the user they've scammed...thus they get any ask seller a question emails and EOA's.

The Rules and Safety Webform has a place to report accounts that may be Hijacked

so if you are the buyer in a transaction where you suspect the seller is not who his ID card claims.. IE Seller & item listed in the US but after auction emails ask for funds to be wire transfered to the Ukraine...
you need to report it here:
Webform

Select: Member Problems : Contact Information / Identity Offenses : A user is falsely representing that he or she is another eBay member.

Click Continue, and on the next page scroll down and click Contact Support. Fill out the webform, with all the detail you can.
Including an item # if you are in a transaction.

When buying or Bidding on High Dollar items

Be aware of possible FAKE Second Chance Offers. Emails pretending to be from the seller offering the same or similar item for less money. Scammers make it look like an eBay second chance offer. They just direct you to e-mail, rather than to actual listed eBay item where you can use Buy It NOW.

Report Offers to buy outside of eBay HERE

Please use plain text.
abuttonlady
Community Member

in reply to abuttonlady
Keep Spyware OFF your Computer

Do you ever get pop-ups or spam as a result of surfing eBay?
This would be because of spyware on your computer.

Use Ad-Aware. A free program at
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

great freebie for killing spyware...also has a cookiewall.

ALSO...if you use Gator or another program to save passwords, etc.? This is the BEST way for hackers to get ALL your password info in one 'convenient' place...what was convenient for you...also is for them. Don't make it easy for any would be hackers.

More tips:
remember to keep your virus protection up to date.

Please know that when the transactions start adding up, you never know how many times your email addy gets added to address books of many eBay users. Most virus afflictions are not the result of hackers..just the fact that someone did not keep their 'own' puter up to date.

A good tip for us all to remember is to disable the action in your email program which automatically adds any email you reply to...to your address book.

Some more good info about passwords:

Help from Memberair*america*

Flash! Consider for Your Password!
I believe eBay has changed the format somewhat and no longer gives the "secret question" and the opportunity to try and crack the registrant's code; no longer just gives the information on following pages instead of sending it to the registrant's email address. Still, passwords are among the weakest link, if used as most do and just use some simple word or the like.

I have discovered that it is possible to have more than 30 characters in your password and the word you use as the response to the "Password hint." If you are not familiar with the use of the "Alt" key and the number pad over on the far right of your keyboard, no matter. This will tutor you about that.

The Alt key and selected number combinations on the keypad will give you characters not on a standard keyboard. The one that comes to mind is the letter "ß" in the German alphabet which stands for the letters "ss." If you will depress the Alt key now, and hold it and enter these numbers on the keypad, you will get this "ß." Depress Alt and enter these numbers 0 2 2 3. ß should be your result.

There are a whole passel of these starting with 0 0 3 3 which gives "!" I would suggest using at least 8 of these characters along with a meaningless random entry of 8 letters and numerals. In other words 9g (then Alt+0200) which gives È and Alt+0 2 1 0 which gives Ò. So now you have made the first four characters "9gÈÒ" Repeat this until you have a minimum of 16 characters and you will have an uncrackable password or password hint. i.e. "9gÈÒh5ÿñl2Óº4xÖÇ" I recommend writing down the Alt+ strokes you make so that if you ever need to retrieve them, you won't be forever excluded (it does such a good job.) It might be beneficial for you to discern all of these characters as they are helpful in showing your prowess with words like 'façade' or 'voilá' (in French for instance.) Good luck and beep if you need help!

Copyright ©2000-2003 Air America. All Rights Reserved
"Used with permission - Air*America*"

Please use plain text.
abuttonlady
Community Member

in reply to abuttonlady
Some info from kelley@ebay.co.

Regular spam --ie: "I saw you bid on xxxx and I can sell you one for your bid" type mail will always go to spam@ebay.com. Expand the header, then "select all" from your Edit menu, then copy into a new outgoing email and send.

Those email that look like they came from eBay or Paypal, but want you to go to a link and put in your personal information, can be sent to spoof@ebay.com or spam@ebay.com. Chances are good that yours will not be the first one reported, but just to be sure, keep sending them in.

While eBay does everything possible to shut down these operations, I think we can expect them to continue until no one responds and gives them what they want. So, ultimately, education is the strongest weapon we have. Keeping your email address off public areas will help, as will being wary of what email sent to you through the Email Forwarding System you answer. You do want to answer any legitimate questions from a seller or bidder, but watch for nonsensical questions that might be sent simply to obtain your email address.
Kelley,
eBay Community Development

******************************************************************************************************

Help from: grumpy3b:

Thought I would post this here for people who are getting those "spoof" emails. It provides a way to look at who the site you are being referred to really belongs to:

net abuse

The above link contains good information about hwo to look into potential problems and also where to begin reporting potential threats to.

This next link is for the same site but is a direct link for looking u numeric IP addresses or even just partial site information:

whois

A couple very useful sites...from the eBay response email, you get it when you turn in a spoof.

If you entered information such as your social security number or credit
card numbers into a web site that you were directed to via a spoofed
email, you need to take immediate action to protect your identity. The
following web sites have valuable information on the steps you should
take to protect yourself:

http://www.newyork.bbb.org/identitytheft/newscams.html

http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/victim.htm

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jsp?forum=124&thread=60711&msRange=40&start=0

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: EMAIL you THINK might be from

in reply to abuttonlady
EBAY says do not trust those who do not give a phone number. OOPs ebay will not give you their phone number. What does that say about EBAY. HYPOCRITS

We would like to trust ebay so give us your number proudly displayed on home page!!!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to abuttonlady
Hi, I recieved an email which Im pretty sure is a spoof email as it asks for my bank details and even my pin number!!!!!! However, I clicked on the link and started to enter my details but then quickly realised it was a spoof so I got rid of the page and didnt submit anything!! Will I still be alright?? Thanks.
Please use plain text.
abuttonlady
Community Member

in reply to abuttonlady
HI,
Sure glad you didn't submit anything.
The problem with the links, and you never know for sure...but they can sometimes put spyware on your computer. It's good to use a clean-up program like Ad-Aware to remove such. Can't hurt to change your password as well.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to abuttonlady
My Goodness Buttonlady!
I am glad I came across this...Just today I recieved an email I thought was from paypal saying my account had fraudulent tampering and they had a link to verify
but everytime i tried to submit it came up error on page!
I sent a notice to paypal about it, or should I say what I thought was paypal to no avail!!
I went to my account and it was fine there was no problem with it. I really thought something was wrong with my account!
thank you for this warning next time i may not be so lucky!
Please use plain text.
abuttonlady
Community Member

in reply to abuttonlady
Since you did try to submit....please do Change your password and watch your other information.

Also do a spyware cleanup.

You are Welcome. Stay Safe and pass the word.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to abuttonlady
Thank you the first thing i did was clean up all looks good today! have a great day!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to abuttonlady
There would be a lot less problems on eBay, and the rest of the internet too, if all new users were required to read this thread.

Good job Button!
Please use plain text.
abuttonlady
Community Member

in reply to abuttonlady
Thanks so much EOB, You made my day!

Your HTML help page was the first bookmark I ever made after I found eBay's boards over 4 years ago.
I've recommended it many many times.

Just wanted you to know how much that is appreciated by the community as well.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to abuttonlady
I am new at posting on discussion board (approx. 2 months) and I was posting previously in the front porch and a couple of times here also....I was told before I decided to not post there anymore, that you have to introduce yourself first, so here it is, My Ebay user Id. is titfille (as you will see - name that my husband was calling me when we were going out together then it became titfemme) I have 2 children, a boy and a girl and am the proud grandmother of now 2 grandchildren, (As God already decided to recall one of my little angels at the age of 8 in a fire, 4 years ago...) I live in Florida (Sunshine State) and love the beautiful SUN.....
So here is what concerns me quite a bit, for the past 2 or 3 months I keep on receiving the same spoof email supposedly coming from Paypal, letting me know that I paid phonebuyer451@yahoo.com an amount close to $300.00...I have forwarded this email everytime to spoof@paypal and spoof@ebay, they always tell me that they are looking into this matter and I still as of today, 2 to 3 months later receive the same type of emails....Could anyone let me know if Paypal or Ebay are really looking into this matter....
Please use plain text.
abuttonlady
Community Member

in reply to abuttonlady
yes, eBay does care...does look into each and every report and makes sure each site is shut down.

The deal is that spoofers reuse the same emails as they continually set up new sites.

keep reporting. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to abuttonlady
Hi:
Hope everyone enjoys E-Baying as much as I do. I have won many great bid items and have been outbid many other great ones also. I checked my email this morning and here was a request from EBay investigations for my password saying that I would loose my account within 72 hours if I didn't reply. Guess what I immediately emailed EBay Security and the EMAIL was as fake as a three dollar bill.
They didn't get any information from me. So beware there are many wolves out there. Happy Holidays.
1weasel0
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to abuttonlady
Spoofs are running ramped. Last Sunday I got 4 in about 3 hours. The first one state that I had 48 hours to verify my account or I would lose my privileges on ebay. Well guess what, I panicked. Yes I clicked the sight and gave them my information. After the second and third email I thought DA! You have been had. I notified ebay and sent the emails to them. They were all spoofs. I had to notify the bank, cancel my credit card, change passwords and the whole nine yards. Made a police report, notified Equifax, notified FTC about Identity Theft. SO BE CAREFUL OUT THERE. I got another one today and yes ebay said it was a spoof. Wise up! Criminals are devious and calculating. They try anyway they can to steal from you. I caught my in time. But I don't know what will happen in the future and if they will try anything.
peggy5180
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to abuttonlady
peggy5180......You might also want to run a good anti-spyware program, anti-virus program and install a good firewall just in case the site installed a keylogger on your computer.

A keylogger will record everything the user types, including user ID and password, then send the information to whoever sent the keylogger. You
can get more information here http://malektips.com/spyware_adware_0015.html or go to Google and search for "what is a keylogger" (with the quotes).
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to abuttonlady
Thanks a lot, I am new at this. Honest also. I can't believe people have nothing to do but think up ways to screw up your life. That's the pits. We need to go back to the age when you stole they chop of your hand. How much computer hacking can you do with one hand. I know I get in trouble with society for being cruel. But let it happen to them and see how it feels.
peggy5180
Please use plain text.